Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon: Contigo Byron 470ml Travel Mug - €13.56

Options
  • 28-01-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Contigo Travel mugs are excellent but a bit pricey for me so I was pleased when I spotted this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TRDWHXG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Contigo Byron Snapseal 470ml Travel Mug - €13.56
    Free postage over £20 etc. Dispatched & sold by Amazon.

BUT - it's only one size (470ml) and one colour ("Vivacious" - reddish) at this price. AND it's out of stock until Feb 15th.

Most of the ones in this size are about €24, except black about €20. Strangely every colour is a slightly different price.

It could be a misprice. However my order placed on Monday has been acknowledged at £8.33, plus about £2 added in the "import fees deposit". I've been given a delivery date of Feb 18th.

My previous Contigo, with some corporate logo on it, brand-new in a presentation box, cost me €1 in a charity shop 3 years ago! Now THAT was a bargain!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Contigo Travel mugs are excellent but a bit pricey for me so I was pleased when I spotted this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TRDWHXG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BUT - it's only one size (470ml) and one colour ("Vivacious" - reddish) at this price. AND it's out of stock until Feb 15th.

Most of the ones in this size are about €24, except black about €20. Strangely every colour is a slightly different price.

It could be a misprice. However my order placed on Monday has been acknowledged at £8.33, plus about £2 added in the "import fees deposit". I've been given a delivery date of Feb 18th.

My previous Contigo, with some corporate logo on it, brand-new in a presentation box, cost me €1 in a charity shop 3 years ago! Now THAT was a bargain!

€11.31 with prime as no import fees.

Cheers OP, I dont need it but I ordered it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Nice mug, it would be nice if we could travel somewhere with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got 2 for £10 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Has on it Estimated Delivery 15th March

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

I have one of these for years and recommend it. I used it for hot tea in the winter and water and ice for a refreshing cold drink in the summer when hiking. The ice takes many hours to melt. Can’t wait to be back using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

duffman13 wrote: »
    €11.31 with prime as no import fees.

Got mine for €11.30! :D
    Thanks weakening sterling!

#winning

These are sometimes less than £10 (many colours were ~£7 in November for example and therefore even less for us) so if you're in no rush (and I assume most of us aren't) then it might be better to instead set up a price alert using e.g. Keepa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Got 2 for £10 each
    Yeah I ordered 2 as well - it really was the first mug I ever had that kept things hot for ages (apart from glass Thermos flasks, and I got fed up with those "oh ****" moments when I'd drop it and have a load of wet broken glass to clean up.)

One nice thing that I liked about this Byron Snapseal compared to my old one is the top unit seems a lot easier to clean. My old one (Contigo West Loop) did not disassemble or fold out and the deep inside bits would end up some very dodgy coffee/tea milky scum that was hard to reach even with a toothbrush.

duffman13 wrote: »

If I had a Euro for every time this applied to posts in this Bargain Alert subforum.....I could spend it on two yokes I didn't really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don’t know why but I bought this too. Thanks :D

• Advertisement

Got an email to say 4 Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Went ahead and purchased this :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PurpleBoxHero

A dishwasher tablet and boiling water resurrects these mugs to new.

A dishwasher tablet and boiling water resurrects these mugs to new.

from what? bad taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks OP. On an Prime trial at the moment, and it also deducted £5 Prime Savings. (I think I did apply for a recent BA £5 off £25 but that shouldn't have worked as the total was £10). Dunno. Either way total cost £5 delivered :)

Edit - nor do I know why the cost before discount was £10 rather than £12, as it was definitely showing as £12 when I added it to the basket. Irish Vat lower or something?

Thanks OP. On an Prime trial at the moment, and it also deducted £5 Prime Savings. (I think I did apply for a recent BA £5 off £25 but that shouldn't have worked as the total was £10). Dunno. Either way total cost £5 delivered :)

Edit - nor do I know why the cost before discount was £10 rather than £12, as it was definitely showing as £12 when I added it to the basket. Irish Vat lower or something?

Amazon UK remove the UK VAT on all purchases going to Ireland.
    If the pruchase is less than €22 (which is Revenue's VAT free limit), Amazon don't charge any Irish VAT. If it's over €22, they do.

Revenue are closing that loophole later this year (God forbid we buy something for €20 and not pay VAT on it!), so fill yer boots while you can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Lower limit for VAT is €22, not €25.00

whiterebel wrote: »
    Lower limit for VAT is €22, not €25.00

Cheers.

Got confused between the VAT limit and Amazon's free delivery amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PurpleBoxHero

glasso wrote: »
    from what? bad taste?

No. The scum that may build up over time from milky coffee or tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Got 2 emails since ordering yesterday revising the estimated delivery date from the original date of March 16th to 22nd February and now to the 4th February :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Excellent stuff, have one for years, re dishwasher tablet, I bought cheap denture tablets and use them instead, pop one in and add boiling water and like new the following morning.
    Pro tip, add boiling water a few minutes before use so it uses the heat to pre heat and then your coffee/ tea will stay hotter longer...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

slave1 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, have one for years, re dishwasher tablet, I bought cheap denture tablets and use them instead, pop one in and add boiling water and like new the following morning.
    Pro tip, add boiling water a few minutes before use so it uses the heat to pre heat and then your coffee/ tea will stay hotter longer...

"Pro tip, add boiling water a few minutes before use so it uses the heat to pre heat and then your coffee/ tea will stay hotter longer..." Pro Tip ? Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that.

TimHorton wrote: »
    "Pro tip, add boiling water a few minutes before use so it uses the heat to pre heat and then your coffee/ tea will stay hotter longer..." Pro Tip ? Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that.

You do know Common Sense left the building around 1998?

Soarer wrote: »
    You do know Common Sense left the building around 1998?

I saw him in achill a few years ago. Nice chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine dispatched today, saying delivery on 07 February which makes me think it's coming from Europe rather than the UK. A different order dispatched today, placed Wednesday. Saying delivery Tuesday but it cleared customs in Dublin at lunchtime so I'm expecting it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

In case anyone doesn't want to wait for this, or wants the stainless steel version, tesco have these for €15 online and instore (if you've one local) https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=293239575

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Caranica wrote: »
    Mine dispatched today, saying delivery on 07 February which makes me think it's coming from Europe rather than the UK.

Tracking shows it went from the UK to Belgium??

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

I received it yesterday. It looks beautiful. Estimated delivery date was 7th of Feb but it was delivered yesterday.
    Thanks OP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In case anyone doesn't want to wait for this, or wants the stainless steel version, tesco have these for €15 online and instore (if you've one local) https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=293239575

Thats good, I think I paid €20 in Tescos last year.

• Advertisement

konline wrote: »
      I received it yesterday. It looks beautiful. Estimated delivery date was 7th of Feb but it was delivered yesterday.
      Thanks OP.

Great - I thought I would end up being the last, with everybody else being Prime and 'cos I have 2 and a couple of other yokes. However, they have just emailed me saying it left yesterday and will be delivered by An Post on Sunday (!).

By the way - were you one of the Prime maybe-no-VAT guys? And was there any VAT charged?

Advertisement