Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/treadmill routine for weight loss

Options
  • 27-01-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a treadmill at the beginning of January and so far have been using it every day or every second day to do 1km-2km (was completely unfit, out of breath walking for like 10 mins usually before that)

now I have built up my fitness level slightly and have been doing 3-4km in one instead as I'm trying to lose weight, this is coupled with cutting out takeaways, alcohol (apart from 1 night on the weekends or 1 every 2 weeks), just eating fresh and nutritious food at all times, think, porridge for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch, and a homemade shepherds pie or chicken salad and rice for dinner etc, fresh fruit/rice cakes for snacks and an odd chocolate here and there, not depriving myself at all as I genuinely love all types of food aha.

I weigh about 16/17st (not checking the scales this time around as I find putting a number on things gets me distracted, I'd rather focus on my energy levels, and how my clothes fit)

So far I have been feeling great and already noticing myself getting a bit smaller, along with energy and motivation at all time highs.

Whats the best walking routine/challenges I could set myself, I find myself walking at a faster pace rather than jogging because jogging/running seems to use up my energy quicker, rather than doing a longer fast paced walk.

Bearing in mind, I read somewhere that jogging/running at my weight could damage my joints, is that really true? :pac:

I'm female, 22 and a smoker.

Just to keep things somewhat exciting/or so I don't get bored of doing the same routine everyday what sort of exercises would you suggest incorporating into my daily routine to build my fitness levels more and try new things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Walking up hill if the treadmill allows that setting or with more resistance will give you a stronger workout without putting extra pressure on your joints.

I used to walk uphill for a long time and then jog for a few minutes rather then run all the time and definitely improved my fitness.

Also going at gradually faster pace can be easier then going straight for a run. But you will get there if you keep it up.

I would concentrate on getting your distance up which you are doing and if you feel you are getting bored maybe listen to podcasts or an audio book.

You are also working at your diet which will have a more important impact than walking or running at this stage.

Well done as well you are obviously making progress. Start tracking as well so you can see what you are losing.
    Same with your food, but you are doing well on the food so far as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well done for starting, anything that you feel exerted on is beneficial, aim for 30+ minutes per day, find a point that you have trouble talking at but aren't gasping for breath and stick at it, as your general fitness increases this will require higher speeds etc.

Running and jogging doesn't damage your joints unless it's for prolonged times over prolonged periods - hours and years, the level you're at is quite safe IMO.

Btw - stop smoking, that will have the biggest hit healthwise, even just vaping is a big improvement, diet too (calorie tracking) is the most important for weight loss if that's the ultimate goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Could you do a fartlek* / interval workout on the treadmill, a few days a week?

There are many workout suggestions online for this type of training but basically you do your 5 minute warm-up, then perform several intervals where you will complete a short period where you are working hard, then have a rest period where you resume walking, then repeat. If your conditioning isn't up to a short to medium distance run yet this would be a way of burning more calories and also mixing up your training.

*The name always makes me laugh, juvenile I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Could you do a fartlek* / interval workout on the treadmill, a few days a week?

There are many workout suggestions online for this type of training but basically you do your 5 minute warm-up, then perform several intervals where you will complete a short period where you are working hard, then have a rest period where you resume walking, then repeat. If your conditioning isn't up to a short to medium distance run yet this would be a way of burning more calories and also mixing up your training.

*The name always makes me laugh, juvenile I know.

Yeah this is what I used to do and switching between hard work and 'rest' just made it more interesting to stay on the treadmill because it bored me to be on it for any period of time and if I just went for a run on it, I'd get bored and hop off quickly.

Advertisement