Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousands Raised for a Dairy farm down with TB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

coconnellz wrote: »
    Most ridiculous thing I read in a long time Thousands of pounds raised for large dairy farm that's Down with TB, Even tho only down 25 cows they still have 100 cows doesn't sit right with me https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.farminguk.com/news/amp/fundraiser-for-family-after-fifth-of-herd-tests-btb-positive_57435.html

Why?
    They had genuine bad luck and people are giving them a little help.

Its a nice story after a tough time for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Are the cows back on the smokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Stan27 wrote: »
    Why?
    They had genuine bad luck and people are giving them a little help.

Its a nice story after a tough time for the family.

Yeah but it's not like there not getting tb compensation from the government it's like having there cake and eating it

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

It's absurd. If people only knew how much agridole farmers get

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You realise this is in Cornwall yeah, not an Irish farm?

Anyway, the UK government will pay out some compensation, but the Harveys fear this will not cover the farm's continued survival.
    Any money donated would be used to help the family get through the next 60 days and for them to buy more cows.

Don't wanna help, then don't.
    It's that easy.

• Advertisement

Like the farmer needs to take personal responsibility for borrowing up to there eyes in debt and trying to extract money out of people by using animals to pull there heart strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

Like the farmer needs to take personal responsibility for borrowing up to there eyes in debt and trying to extract money out of people by using animals to pull there heart strings.

Where is the evidence for this claim?

Allinall wrote: »
    Where is the evidence for this claim?

Yeah states in the tital that loose 25 cows, if they were less greedy wouldn't have this problem by living beyond there means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yeah states in the tital that loose 25 cows, if they were less greedy wouldn't have this problem by living beyond there means

i've no idea what your issue is.

There is no sign that the couple were "greedy", or over borrowed, or tried to extract money by pulling on heartstrings.

i read it as neighbours coming together to give a dig-out to one of their community who had bad fortune through no fault of their own.

A nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We better kill all badgers and any other wildlife in the vicinity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You do realise that TB is an infectious disease and not dependent on greed?

If he had 50 cows it would not beyond the bounds of possibility that his herd would be halved so even harder hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

More likely deer, badgers were blamed for decades but deer is a more likely suspect, never heard of anyone killing wildlife other than badgers and that stopped decades ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Most ridiculous thing I read in a long time Thousands of pounds raised for large dairy farm that's Down with TB, Even tho only down 25 cows they still have 100 cows doesn't sit right with me https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.farminguk.com/news/amp/fundraiser-for-family-after-fifth-of-herd-tests-btb-positive_57435.html

That's a terrible thread to start. A T.B. outbreak in a herd is the worst news any farmer could get. I hope they can survive it and it's nice to see decent people helping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

More likely deer, badgers were blamed for decades but deer is a more likely suspect, never heard of anyone killing wildlife other than badgers and that stopped decades ago

Badger culling still happens in the UK (from September 2020): https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/07/badger-cull-extended-england-60000-animals-in-line-of-fire

And it's only last summer that the Government here agreed to phase it out: https://www.farmersjournal.ie/parties-promise-to-end-badger-culling-551871

So the "wrong" type of hardship happened to them OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Bocking 14 wrote: »

"farmers dole" as the snivelling mouth breathers on here often sneer over is what enables you to purchase a litre of milk own brand in a shop for circa 80c, cooked chicken for €7 or reasonable steak for under €5, nevermind cheap veg

If you didn't have "farmers dole" enjoy paying €3 for a litre of milk, €20 for that chicken and €15 for small bag of spuds when the supermarkets would have to pay up proper prices like any product thats sourced from a supplier.

Granted I'd say most on here are of the cheese puff's and mountain dew diet variety though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

This is about a farm in another country, and about how friends/neighbours/colleagues have raised a small sum of money to help a family whose livelihood is under threat.

It's yet another rant on a site that is increasingly known as one of the premier virtual hangouts in Ireland for angry and frustrated men in their 30's and 40's to moan about things.

Badger culling still happens in the UK (from September 2020): https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/07/badger-cull-extended-england-60000-animals-in-line-of-fire

And it's only last summer that the Government here agreed to phase it out: https://www.farmersjournal.ie/parties-promise-to-end-badger-culling-551871

Nobody was touching them, there was badgers near where I used to live all through my childhood and up to my 20's, they only left because the landowner cleared all the scrub around the set, they've returned in recent years, theres a badger that eats scraps of the bird table behind my house every night, nobody bothers it
    Foxes would have been hunted a lot more,

"farmers dole" as the snivelling mouth breathers on here often sneer over is what enables you to purchase a litre of milk own brand in a shop for circa 80c, cooked chicken for €7 or reasonable steak for under €5, nevermind cheap veg

If you didn't have "farmers dole" enjoy paying €3 for a litre of milk, €20 for that chicken and €15 for small bag of spuds when the supermarkets would have to pay up proper prices like any product thats sourced from a supplier.

Granted I'd say most on here are of the cheese puff's and mountain dew diet variety though

Green ideas and economic reality rarely share the same space, they dont seem to realise that basic food prices: Milk,meat, vegetables have stayed around the same price for 20 years,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Hush, hush now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This is about a farm in another country, and about how friends/neighbours/colleagues have raised a small sum of money to help a family whose livelihood is under threat.

It's yet another rant on a site that is increasingly known as one of the premier virtual hangouts in Ireland for angry and frustrated men in their 30's and 40's to moan about things.

I'm in my 50's I hope I'm exempt from you generalisation. I think it's lovely to see people helping others out of a very bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

One thing about UK family farms is that in the UK it's much more common to be a tenant farmer.
    So if you lose 20% of your herd and cannot make the rent, you will be in a much more precarious position than if you owned the land.
    You cannot go to the bank and look for a bridging loan or extension of credit the main assets you own are coming down with a disease and being slaughtered.
    If you own the land, the bank probably holds the deeds anyway as security on loans for buildings etc, and know they have a good loan/equity ratio.

Edit to add: it's not uncommon here in Ireland to have fundraisers for neighbours who meet with misfortune, be it a house fire, death or serious injury of a parent etc.
    If giving a few bob, or a few hundred, to a neighbour offends you, well that says more about yourself than whoever organised the collection....

If only... but no one knows. Damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

have you any evidence to back up your claim that the farm owner borrowed up to their eyeballs and are in debt?
    have you any evidence for your claim that the owner of the farm tried to, or even did, extract money out of people by using animals to pull there heart strings? rather then people simply donating of their own accord?

have you any evidence for your claim that they are, or were, greedy and are living beyond their means?
    another claim as an answer to the question posed is not proof for your original claims.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

A turkey shoot ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NcdJd wrote: »
    A turkey shoot ? :D

Nah those feckers are fast. Apparently wild turkeys can run at speeds of up to 25 miles per hour and have been clocked flying as fast as 55 miles per hour.

Try catching one of the free range ones and their super speedy legs would give you a fair old workout. Damn tasty if you can catch them :D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    One thing about UK family farms is that in the UK it's much more common to be a tenant farmer.
    So if you lose 20% of your herd and cannot make the rent, you will be in a much more precarious position than if you owned the land.
    You cannot go to the bank and look for a bridging loan or extension of credit the main assets you own are coming down with a disease and being slaughtered.
    If you own the land, the bank probably holds the deeds anyway as security on loans for buildings etc, and know they have a good loan/equity ratio.

Edit to add: it's not uncommon here in Ireland to have fundraisers for neighbours who meet with misfortune, be it a house fire, death or serious injury of a parent etc.
    If giving a few bob, or a few hundred, to a neighbour offends you, well that says more about yourself than whoever organised the collection....

Community still exists in rural areas,it seems to have vanished from urban areas

gozunda wrote: »
    Nah those feckers are fast. Apparently wild turkeys can run at speeds of up to 25 miles per hour and have been clocked flying as fast as 55 miles per hour.

Try catching one of the free range ones and their super speedy legs would give you a fair old workout. Damn tasty if you can catch them :D

ACME supply gadgets to catch them, beep beep

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Community still exists in rural areas,it seems to have vanished from urban areas

A neighbours house burned down in the 1970s. The entire community came together to raise money to help them rebuild as there was no insurance.

I see that spirit of goodwill is still alive in places.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1189712/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

gozunda wrote: »

Yeah. That fcuker Dustin is still alive. :)

Advertisement