Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teagasc online sheep conference - on tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    The fact your writing that post on a thread about teagasc webinars is strange. Are you just here to pick fights with people?.

If you bothered to check you would have seen that my first post in this thread was simply a comment on the focus of the Teagasc tutorial. It was after that that your smart ar$ed pal choose to launch his usual personalized tiresome tirade.

PS: I suggest you leave the modding of this forum to the actual moderators

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    Bottom wire isn’t electric so it doesn’t earth...I have had issues with the netting and to be honest for me it’s only suitable on a mains fencer...if you have it on a battery they will run down the battery fairly quick and if the power drops in them the sheep will try to go through it and get tangled in it ... I have lost lambs and a ewe that got tangled in it, as bad as it is when one or two get through the poly wire at least they don’t get caught in it....just my 2 cents

I used it with a solar fencer for abut twenty years blockgrazing and often had 10 - 12 rolls on it, it needed 3000 volts consistently to keep right but never a problem....... that is, until a neighbours dog started chasing them through it for a pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    Like any industry you take knowledge from like industries around the world and adapt it.
    I was on a farm in new Zealand where the farmer dragged a twenty ton roller with a dozer to the top of what was virtually a mountain, the roller was covered with 6ins blade to chop the gorse He then stopped on the top and let the roller up and down the mountain with a winch on the back of the dozer, That was the first run of making land out of mountain. When our bus came to his front gate, the satnav said we were 40mins from the house and the owners had a 100ml round trip to the shops

O/h's first cousin is a wild life ranger there, she has to drive 50 miles for cell phone /Internet coverage.

We might email her with some gossip and she'd reply a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The 22 sheep conference is on the 25th & 27th January this year

https://www.teagasc.ie/corporate-events/virtual-sheep-conference-2022/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone watch this, It was alright, Only 16000 organic lambs sold surprised me, supermarkets don't like the seasonality of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea it was ok. Didn’t learn a whole lot new. Still it’s handy to be able yo switch it on for an hour abs leave when it suits you compared to travelling to them like years ago.

the point that grass even at todays high price is still cheaper than concentrate was well made and important to remember .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I sun divide with 3 stands of poly wire and it seems to do the trick. Two low down and one three quarters up on them temporary posts. Will still get the odd lamb through it or even a bold ewe but they do get afraid of the electric wire quickly.

i wouldn’t be going in to very heavy covers so I electrify the lower strand too. Plus the ewes don’t be long eating the grass under the wire.

one tip I’ll give ya Is get one Of them reels to roll up the wire. It’ll make moving the wire ten times easier.

edit to say I didn’t realise I was replying to a year old post!

Advertisement