Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LV Thread: Chiefs v Buccaneers (MOD Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think there has been a bit of an overreaction to the AFC championship game, prior to that they hadn't really lit it up. While they could cut loose and put up 40 points I think its going to be closer. I'd fancy the buccs to pull it out but wouldn't wager too much on the outcome.

Had a sneaky bet on both teams to lead in the 4th quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After a 3pt regular season win, where the Bucs spotted Hill over 200yds in the 1st qtr and having a significantly worse OL, you think the Chiefs will smash the Bucs? Makes sense.

You can look at it that way, I see it much more as they dominated them in the 1st quarter and took their foot off the gas - like the Chiefs have done against teams all season.

Mahomes isn't the current version of Brady - he is fine under pressure, especially since they've worked out their short/quick passing game.

I don't think they'll 'smash' them if you're trying to paint it as 30-7 or something like that. I see the Chiefs getting in front (potentially after Buccs get ahead first) and never really being overly stressed despite how everyone talks about a Brady comeback - though is more like garbage time stats/points.

It could very easily be a close game, my original point was that I've barely heard the media mention the decent chance that this could be one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the Chiefs win this pulling up. The packers should have beaten the Buccs and their secondary is vastly inferior, inferior receivers and arguably their defensive line is weaker too. This game hinges on the Buccs getting to Mahomes regularly and thats a very narrow window to rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It could well turn out that way but I'm pinning my colours to the mast rather than the vagueness or at times utter nonsense.

I presume you'll be working off your usual top tier analysis like this gem

Not sure what happened in those 3 SB losses. Just didn't want to win enough?? :rolleyes:

You in contrast have provided such sterling analysis, where you can't see any advantages for the Bucs, despite their excellent DL facing off against a depleted OL full of backups.

You're a parody of yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

threeball wrote: »
    I think the Chiefs win this pulling up. The packers should have beaten the Buccs and their secondary is vastly inferior, inferior receivers and arguably their defensive line is weaker too. This game hinges on the Buccs getting to Mahomes regularly and thats a very narrow window to rely on.

In what sense should the packers have won? Tampa were deserving winner. Defense came up big after Brady interceptions and Rodgers produced 2 3 and outs when gifted an extra possession by his defense.

Sure they should have gone for it on 4th down but its a huge stretch they should have won. Tampa were deserving winners.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    In what sense should the packers have won? Tampa were deserving winner. Defense came up big after Brady interceptions and Rodgers produced 2 3 and outs when gifted an extra possession by his defense.

Sure they should have gone for it on 4th down but its a huge stretch they should have won. Tampa were deserving winners.

They had the dropped TD in the 3rd quarter which was a gimme. Any receiver worth his salt should catch that. They completely messed up on the TD before half time too.
    I'm not saying the Buccs were undeserving but the packers really threw that game away through stupid mistakes. The call at the end was just put the tin hat on it.

But dropping TD's and having defensive busts doesn't mean you deserve to win, quite the opposite in fact.

What makes you think Green Bay wouldn't make the same mistakes again?

I don't see Green Bay as having thrown it away, they just weren't good enough to win.

MOD Note: Read the charter before posting in this thread. Please report any posts you see breaking the charter, enjoy the game and treat other posters with some respect.

adrian522 wrote: »
    But dropping TD's and having defensive busts doesn't mean you deserve to win, quite the opposite in fact.

What makes you think Green Bay wouldn't make the same mistakes again?

I don't see Green Bay as having thrown it away, they just weren't good enough to win.

Those are fine margin plays and I doubt the Buccs get them done in 9 out of 10 games. Either way the Chiefs are far superior to the packers. Outside of Adams and Tonyan, Rodgers has very few dependable options on clutch plays. Mahomes has about 5 he can go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great tribute to Chris wesseling on the sky sports coverage from the three remaining members of the podcast and Colleen Wolfe who is part of the around the NFL podcast family gave a lovely tribute on the NFL network coverage. Good stuff and now onto the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You in contrast have provided such sterling analysis, where you can't see any advantages for the Bucs, despite their excellent DL facing off against a depleted OL full of backups.

You're a parody of yourself.

What are you talking about? I acknowledged the Buccs pass rush and run defense in my original post and every post since.

I've however pointed out repeatedly that it doesn't have the same impact against Mahomes - he is the best QB in the league under pressure (or very close to it) along with the OL being able to hold a lot more in the Super Bowl, like they did all game last year.

It is possible to see a team's strength but also that it the other team can counter it so it doesn't matter close to as much. It is pretty basic analysis skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only 27 minutes to go. Jesus I can't wait for this.

Im going for Chiefs by 4

Great opening on CBS. They had the families of some of the players taking about them. They included some first responders from around America.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Coverage on BBC has started now (BBC2)

My primary bet is Chiefs to cover the spread but I've just gone for a dabble on Mike Evans and Tyreek Hill 2+ TDs each.

Hopefully a good game of ball and Chiefs covering the (very generous) spread.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone have a link for online?

That was a poor enough observed moment of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link for online?

It's on bbc so you might be able to get it on filmon.com

That stadium looks more than 25% full. It might be the way they are spreading them out.

Some rendition of America the Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Eric Church gonna do a 25 minute Bleeding Gums Murphy version of the Star Spangled Banner now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4/10 for National Anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Eric Church gonna do a 25 minute Bleeding Gums Murphy version of the Star Spangled Banner now.....

What is it with Americans and the murdering of the National Anthem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You can look at it that way, I see it much more as they dominated them in the 1st quarter and took their foot off the gas - like the Chiefs have done against teams all season.

Mahomes isn't the current version of Brady - he is fine under pressure, especially since they've worked out their short/quick passing game.

I don't think they'll 'smash' them if you're trying to paint it as 30-7 or something like that. I see the Chiefs getting in front (potentially after Buccs get ahead first) and never really being overly stressed despite how everyone talks about a Brady comeback - though is more like garbage time stats/points.

It could very easily be a close game, my original point was that I've barely heard the media mention the decent chance that this could be one sided.

I think the total opposite of spotted him 200 yards, the Chiefs were 27-10 up, and won much more comfortably than the final result suggests, it got closer than it should have but apart from having to convert a 3rd down around the 2 minute warning, which they did with a catch from Hill, they were never in any danger. I think the chiefs will win, probably by 10 or more

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If somebody mangled our national anthem like that, I'd shoot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eric Church kinda looks like Jim Corr

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

All this chat about police brutality and not a word ever said about the murdering of the National Anthems. There must be an infinite amount of ways to sing it and they all sound horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

mrsoundie wrote: »
    What is it with Americans and the murdering of the National Anthem?

I don't get it, it's an anthem, not a choose-your-own-adventure-song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm all in on the chiefs tonight. I think they'll have way too much for Tampa and Brady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

A B-52, a stealth bomber and an F-16 flyover. What a mental place.

Advertisement