Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Laptop for 1,200EUR?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

Things usually cost less for a reason.

Which brings me back to my earlier question - these are all good machines, I'm just worried I'm overpaying for Razer. It does look awesome though - I guess that's worth something!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

AnthonyB wrote: »
    Would you not think the AMD chip in the ASUS is better - the GPU looks better too - for $200 less?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/razer-blade-vs-asus-rog-zephyrus

Realised that's quite an old comparison... I'm sure they are both great.

You need to really look at what gpu version is in a laptop and how it runs.

Eg a 60w max-q version of the same card name is not going to run anywhere near the 115w tdp version

It's often not stated what version of the card and what wattage it's running at so need a good review

Then you need to read reviews re thermals and fan noise also

Probably worth waiting for the 3060 based laptops but again check the reviews...

A high tdp 3060 based laptop won't be far off the power of the newest consoles so games should run well on it for at least 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    I thought GPU docks were reckless expensive. Last time I checked they were in and around 300 quid and then combine that with reckless GPU prices and a 3060 laptop is probably more viable.

You can upgrade and sell the GPU in the docks and they will last a lot longer then the 3060 in the laptop. A thunderbolt 4 laptop will probably last a bit longer too.

Also a laptop 3060 is not equal to a desktop 3060.

For AMD cpu machines, the caveat right now is that stock is damm hard to come by. I just cancelled a order for a Lenovo P14s, since the order was pushed out till mid June. Getting a XPS 13 with a Intel chip simply because Dell have stock in the specs I want.

• Advertisement

You can upgrade and sell the GPU in the docks and they will last a lot longer then the 3060 in the laptop. A thunderbolt 4 laptop will probably last a bit longer too.

Also a laptop 3060 is not equal to a desktop 3060.

For AMD cpu machines, the caveat right now is that stock is damm hard to come by. I just cancelled a order for a Lenovo P14s, since the order was pushed out till mid June. Getting a XPS 13 with a Intel chip simply because Dell have stock in the specs I want.

The problem might be getting your hands on a discrete GPU at the minute....

Realised that's quite an old comparison... I'm sure they are both great.

Caught that...led me to a more up to date review though.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/iqdaqz/asus_rog_zephyrus_g14_vs_razer_blade_15_base/

I think it comes down to build quality, from what I can see. Different workloads (games, video, file manipulation etc.) have different results on each, and I'm looking for general purpose with some gaming and video work.

The Lenovo legion 5 had very good build quality for the price

Also if you're doing video work you should check the colour accuracy of the screen (sRGB rating of near 100%)

glasso wrote: »
    The Lenovo legion 5 had very good build quality for the price

Also if you're doing video work you should check the colour accuracy of the screen (sRGB rating of near 100%)

I've seen a lot of good comments about the Legion 5. Something about its design though - it's a bit too 'gamery' or something. We're getting into really subjective territory now though :-)

Thanks for the re-up though, I'll go watch a vid or two before committing.

Caught that...led me to a more up to date review though.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/iqdaqz/asus_rog_zephyrus_g14_vs_razer_blade_15_base/

I think it comes down to build quality, from what I can see. Different workloads (games, video, file manipulation etc.) have different results on each, and I'm looking for general purpose with some gaming and video work.

Does the G14 have the lower wattage GPU that glasso warned about?

• Advertisement

Does the G14 have the lower wattage GPU that glasso warned about?

Did you mean the G15? The one I'm looking at has this: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q 6GB GDDR6 with ROG Boost (Base: 982MHz, Boost: 1198MHz, TDP: 60W)

So...yeah, I guess. Lower wattage.

I think that the legion 5 is pretty conservative in design

Could be worth waiting for the 3060 card now though

Even when a gpu is not labelled max q you need to do some research

Eg 2060 cards were running at 75/80w to 115w in laptops with it not stated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem might be getting your hands on a discrete GPU at the minute....

That's one of the reasons I went for gaming laptop. Though I wanted to be able to move the gaming rig around the house easier also.

glasso wrote: »
    I think that the legion 5 is pretty conservative in design

Could be worth waiting for the 3060 card now though

Even when a gpu is not labelled max q you need to do some research

Eg 2060 cards were running at 75/80w to 115w in laptops with it not stated

You're right, it's more conservative - I was thinking of the Legion Y545, which is more gamery. Research never ends...sigh!

I've seen a lot of good comments about the Legion 5. Something about its design though - it's a bit too 'gamery' or something. We're getting into really subjective territory now though :-)

Thanks for the re-up though, I'll go watch a vid or two before committing.

I have one. One of the reasons I picked that was because it mostly looks like a regular laptop. I didn't want to burn my eyes with lurid green or blind red, RGB lighting.

I'll be buying another, and I might get the razer. I prefer a brighter screen, and a keypad with out the numpad. That said I was very impressed with the Legion 5. Very hard to get the right spec in stock though. So I had to compromise at bit.

In fairness that's just one man's opinion. The Razer posted above was very well received.

Intel temps are well known and are measurable. Not sure how thats opinion.

Also Dave2Ds main machine is a Razer, hes had a bunch of them. He like the screen better and they used to be able to be undervolted to bring the fan noise down etc. I just like Daves review they aren't just about the numbers but the general feel of the machine.

Look at the reviews with regard to support. Some laptop makes are better than others. Razer has mixed reviews in this regard. Wouldn't put me off but it if its your only machine it might be more important to you.

One think I like about the Lenovo and Razer is the square power connector. Seems more robust than the round one you get on Dells etc. (at least the ones I've had).

Lenovo have a Legion Pro and Legion Slim coming out soon. Theres a ton of great looking machines dues this year with new Ryzens and 3060s.

Mad.

Apple should make a version of it's M1 just for those guys.

beauf wrote: »
    Mad.

Apple should make a version of it's M1 just for those guys.

This is from 2013. I bet this kid is so rich right now...
    https://www.theverge.com/2013/2/1/3941768/new-chips-mine-bitcoins-50-times-faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a bit off topic, but god, how much I hate the whole crypto idiocy. There is nothing positive in it and in majority it just consuming massive amount of power ( waste it ), to make something that only holds value, what people will give it. It most cases electricity is stolen too by these mass miners. And obviously they completely ruined pc gaming market. To put a cherry on top of this turd sandwich: they will make destroy laptops for gamers too. Just... just fecked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

It's a bit off topic, but god, how much I hate the whole crypto idiocy. There is nothing positive in it and in majority it just consuming massive amount of power ( waste it ), to make something that only holds value, what people will give it. It most cases electricity is stolen too by these mass miners. And obviously they completely ruined pc gaming market. To put a cherry on top of this turd sandwich: they will make destroy laptops for gamers too. Just... just fecked off.

Only good thing I pray to come from it is greater talk around scalping products. It's gotten ridiculous and I hope there's greater conversation around sellers having to stick within a certain margin of msrp. Gets very irritating when you see people up on adverts who have sold 5+ 3080s for more than a grand while the average Joe can't get a sniff of em.

It would bring me so much joy if cryptocurrency just crashed. Ask a person "Why is bitcoin going up in price, what value does it hold?" and they'll be struggling. I understand it takes out the "middle man" but at this point it's just everyone buying into it creating a massive bubble. Although usually when the average person starts buying into something, that's when it crashes so lets hope that's soon.

How do you feel about people mining for gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

How do you feel about people mining for gold?

Gold is something you can hold in your hand. Gold is something that can be turned into art pieces, jewelry, or even paint for the house of... ok, let's not go there...

Show me one bitcoin, and what can you do with it, please.

This is the same argument you hear from people who like guns. When told that guns should be banned, they say why don't we ban knives, or cars, as those too can be used to kill people. What they fail to mention is that knives are tools for cutting food, and cars are built for transportation, while guns have only one purpose. So, let's keep only hunting guns, and ban all the assault weapons. And then mass shootings will be a thing of the past.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Gold is something you can hold in your hand. Gold is something that can be turned into art pieces, jewelry, or even paint for the house of... ok, let's not go there...

This is the same argument you hear from people who like guns. When told that guns should be banned, they say why don't we ban knives, or cars, as those too can be used to kill people. What they fail to mention is that knives are tools for cutting food, and cars are built for transportation, while guns have only one purpose. So, let's keep only hunting guns, and ban all the assault weapons. And then mass shootings will be a thing of the past.

You waste a whole lot of resources getting shiny rocks from the ground.

One bitcoin? I could buy a very nice car with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

There is everything positive in it. Its an entire monetary system that allows for the store of value and the transmission of that value without interference from any third party - on a peer to peer basis. 70% of its power requirement is facilitated by renewables. It's the buyer of last resort for otherwise unwanted power and stranded power.
    Ask a person "Why is bitcoin going up in price, what value does it hold?" and they'll be struggling. I understand it takes out the "middle man" but at this point it's just everyone buying into it creating a massive bubble. Although usually when the average person starts buying into something, that's when it crashes so lets hope that's soon.
    It's going up in value as its the most transparently finite financial asset that has ever existed. As regards the price speculation, sure there are peaks and troughs. However, getting salty about the idea of another trough won't help if your wish is for bitcoin to go away for good. There will be another correction and the process will repeat itself iteratively until the asset matures - a process that's going to be ongoing over several years to come.
    It can be used as a store of value as its the most finite financial asset that has ever existed. It can be transacted within minutes across the globe to another party - without the interference of a third party. It can't be confiscated (provided private key is stored correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

You waste a whole lot of resources getting shiny rocks from the ground.

One bitcoin? I could buy a very nice car with it.

Gold holds a value because it's beautiful and can be used to make beautiful and useful things e.g. Jewelry and connectors for electronics.

Bitcoin holds a value as it cuts out the "middle man" but why is this valued at the ridiculous price it is right now? Why is the price of bitcoin increasing so exponentially? I don't think it's because there's an increased demand for cutting out the middle man. Also, with enough gold, you can buy a very nice car.

....This is the same argument you hear from people who like guns. When told that guns should be banned, they say why don't we ban knives, or cars, as those too can be used to kill people. What they fail to mention is that knives are tools for cutting food, and cars are built for transportation, while guns have only one purpose. So, let's keep only hunting guns, and ban all the assault weapons. And then mass shootings will be a thing of the past.

You're problem with that is they build hunting rifles that look like assault rifles and they build assault rifles that look like hunting rifles. What you really mean is a single shot rifle. Manual bolt. Ban self loading rifles. But hunters will argue a self loading rifle is better for small game, and self defense.

Gold holds a value because it's beautiful and can be used to make beautiful and useful things e.g. Jewelry and connectors for electronics.

Bitcoin holds a value as it cuts out the "middle man" but why is this valued at the ridiculous price it is right now? Why is the price of bitcoin increasing so exponentially? I don't think it's because there's an increased demand for cutting out the middle man. Also, with enough gold, you can buy a very nice car.

Bitcoin is a finite resource.
    It's also a store of value.
    Cash is not, it is a depreciating asset.
    They print cash and they devalue it.
    They are currently printing extraordinary amounts of cash.
    My crypto just keeps on going up.

They want you to borrow not save.
    Always in debt.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You're problem with that is they build hunting rifles that look like assault rifles and they build assault rifles that look like hunting rifles. What you really mean is a single shot rifle. Manual bolt. Ban self loading rifles. But hunters will argue a self loading rifle is better for small game, and self defense.

If I could legally own an AR15 I would. Guns are great fun.

Advertisement