Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating water for milk powder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

My 2 cent I had this problem for a few years too last year I bit the bullet and bought a water heater 15 litre now its grand but if I was doing it again I'd get the biggest heater available something around 30 litre next issue is esb bill will be expensive twas for me anyway went to about 80 euro extra a month to heat the water

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I priced them too. A 30 litre version is over €200.

Most options seem to be from €200-300, so I need to figure out which are best suited to what I need now.

I looked at kettles too like Wrangler said above. They all seem to be cordless now so it’d be very hard to connect the heating element into a bucket or drum.

Look for heating element for brewing. Should throw up something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What about a burco boiler on a timer ? Could that work ?

I work off a Burco (20 litres probably). Think it cost 60 or 80 about 5 years ago.
    And an electric kettle which gives quicker heat.
    Burco takes 10 or 20 minutes at start. Take the water out top with large plastic jug so tap never used.
    Cold water into bucket, then powder, then hot water to one third full, whisk and top up with hot or cold to fill bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

yes but gave you flexibility that if you had to feed 30 mins earlier or later than normal the water was ready to go , compared to a timer .

lab man wrote: »
    My 2 cent I had this problem for a few years too last year I bit the bullet and bought a water heater 15 litre now its grand but if I was doing it again I'd get the biggest heater available something around 30 litre next issue is esb bill will be expensive twas for me anyway went to about 80 euro extra a month to heat the water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yous are getting me worried about my leccy bill.

And here's me heating 500 litres of water to 18 -20c in a jfc water trough for three days.
    It's at that temperature in about 2/3 hours.

https://agridirect.ie/product/liscop-e3020-delux-milk-heater

This heater or different wattage was mentioned earlier on in the thread. Shop around for prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yous are getting me worried about my leccy bill.

And here's me heating 500 litres of water to 18 -20c in a jfc water trough for three days.
    It's at that temperature in about 2/3 hours.

https://agridirect.ie/product/liscop-e3020-delux-milk-heater

This heater or different wattage was mentioned earlier on in the thread. Shop around for prices.
    Looking at the picture yours is 3000w so 3 kwh, depends on how much you are charged per kwh.

Base price wrote: »
    Looking at the picture yours is 3000w so 3 kwh, depends on how much you are charged per kwh.

And depends if your wiring is up to spec.
    I needed a heavy duty extension reel straight from my wired heavy enough parlour.
    If you had an insulated bulk tank and heat up your milk or milk replacer in tank, be some job. Obviously it'd have to be washed out between feeds.

You could use it like was previously mentioned in thread to heat up a 200 litre blue barrel of water and put a tap on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭arctictree

Before we built the house I used a hob kettle on a single gas ring. Just turned it on when I got into the shed and water was boiling after a few minutes. Cheapest way I'd think. I think I only had to change the 20Kg bottle once during lambing.
    Now I just use water from the hot tap in the house (its always hot with the heat pump).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Good loser wrote: »
    I work off a Burco (20 litres probably). Think it cost 60 or 80 about 5 years ago.
    And an electric kettle which gives quicker heat.
    Burco takes 10 or 20 minutes at start. Take the water out top with large plastic jug so tap never used.
    Cold water into bucket, then powder, then hot water to one third full, whisk and top up with hot or cold to fill bucket.

It's not a Burco actually. It's a LLOYTRON. UK make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

I used an Atlantic water heater . plumbed in , loads of water to feed and wash up after

https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/atlantic-water-heater/

something along this line. Turn it one and leave it on till your last calf is weaned.

no association with the above company, I bought mine in heat merchants at the time.

Lakill Farm - which size heater did you buy? Do you just have a tap for the hot water at the temp you want or have you got a mixer tap setup?

Thinking of buying a 100L Atlantic Water heater. Rear around 80 dairy bull calves, at the height of the season normally feeding around 30/40 at a time once a day, plan on putting the heater on a timer to suit my feeding time.

Currently feeding from copper cylinder in the house with immersion on a timer but want to be able to fill/mix the buckets in the old dairy which is nearer to the calf sheds so less carrying etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

nhg wrote: »
    Lakill Farm - which size heater did you buy? Do you just have a tap for the hot water at the temp you want or have you got a mixer tap setup?

Thinking of buying a 100L Atlantic Water heater. Rear around 80 dairy bull calves, at the height of the season normally feeding around 30/40 at a time once a day, plan on putting the heater on a timer to suit my feeding time.

Currently feeding from copper cylinder in the house with immersion on a timer but want to be able to fill/mix the buckets in the old dairy which is nearer to the calf sheds so less carrying etc

I'm not going to hijack lakills post but check around b4 you buy. Dairygold Co op Superstores on line might be worth a look.

Advertisement