Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What laws?
    The only laws I know of that explicitly call out race are the equal status act. Which is not relevant in this case.
    What other laws are you taking about because the dept of justice seems to indicate there are not laws against racism.
    Same link as before
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Legislating_for_Hate_Speech_and_Hate_Crime_in_Ireland_Report

weldoninhio i provided the link to the Irish department of Justice twice already and asked you to at least name the legislation that makes racism an illegal act.
    I have again linked you to the DOJ site where they (the department of Justice of Ireland) explicitly state there are no laws making racism illegal.
    Why is it you seem to think you know better than the DOJ of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So the kid was no where near the protest it seems?

Is there any way the public/electorate can remove a Lord Mayor?

No outside of the normal channel of local elections I don't think there is a legal way to remove a legally elected Lord mayor of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As Mr. D. Trump would say...............Fake News.

From the link in the OP:

Fair enough.

In my defence, given the number of mentions the creche has gotten, I assumed.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Nor is she an agent less, non-white victim. She was a few years ahead of me in UCD. She’s had the same opportunities as anybody else born in Ireland.

She should be ashamed of herself castigating the Irish people for racism, when this country has provided her with significant opportunity.

My question for her next time she castigsates Irish people for being racist, is "compared to whom?". The country her parents came from? Are they the model? How would they deal with the George Nchenko demographic, one wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Balcurris

I thought the IRB were an anti racist organisation. I mean it was their event at the mansion house, the turning of the seal I believe. Did some other undesirables turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My question for her next time she castigsates Irish people for being racist, is "compared to whom?". The country her parents came from? Are they the model? How would they deal with the George Nchenko demographic, one wonders.

That is a nonsensical question.

Do we ask a thief how much he steals in comparison to whom?

We ask did he steal it or didn't he?

She should also thank her lucky stars she lives in a country where people are free to protest and make noise about whatever cause they care about. When you look at how the Chinese are cracking down on skulls as well as freedoms in Hong Kong, all of a sudden it puts our supposed flaws in perspective.

Balcurris wrote: »
    I thought the IRB were an anti racist organisation. I mean it was their event at the mansion house, the turning of the seal I believe. Did some other undesirables turn up?
    This is what people are trying to spin.

I have trouble swallowing it tbh.

That is a nonsensical question.

Do we ask a thief how much he steals in comparison to whom?

We ask did he steal it or didn't he?

Stealing or not stealing is an objective truth. Racism is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder.

• Advertisement

Stealing or not stealing is an objective truth. Racism is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder.

No its not.

If there is a recording of one saying the N word. One said the N word.

No its not.

It depends on what context the word is used.

Saying a word does not make you racist. The context in which you use it does.

It's alarming that you do not recognise that.

No its not.

That's subtly different. My point is, what is a role model country where racism is so small as to make it the model that we should emulate? I think you would struggle to find one better than ireland, and if you do find one, odds are it's a majority white European country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I would love to see all the footage if you have a link.

I don’t, but your buddy stated that she was being recorded as soon as the crowd came towards her.

Here’s an actual quote, from Chu, not a random reporter:

"I said I couldn't shake her hand because of Covid, and then I realised someone was filming me.“

I don’t, but your buddy stated that she was being recorded as soon as the crowd came towards her.

Here’s an actual quote, from Chu, not a random reporter:

"I said I couldn't shake her hand because of Covid, and then I realised someone was filming me.“

Are you still searching for that law that makes racism illegal in Ireland

She's collecting her child. Whatever about a right to protest, why approach someone who has their kid present?

Not good form.

Why make stuff up? She stated that she was on her way to get lunch. Nothing at all about collecting her child.

Why make stuff up? She stated that she was on her way to get lunch. Nothing at all about collecting her child.

A very valid question why make stuff up. Like making up that there is a law in Ireland that makes racism illegal despite being offered evidence to the contrary.

Case 1 not a racism charge
    McCarthy pleaded guilty to the charge of assault causing harm to the victim.

Case 2 not a racism charge
    A man in his 30s was arrested under the Public Order Act by gardaí

Case 3 not a racism charge
    Section 10 (1) and (6) of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997
    and
    This charge was contrary to Section 13 (1) A and Section 13 (2) of the Post Office Act, 1951, amended by Section 4 of the Communications Act, 2007.

Please read your own sources weldoninhio I'm not here to do your homework for you.

As you can see none of these individuals where charged or convicted on a race related legislation.

Case 1: his assault causing harm is concurrent with his racism charges. Sometimes reading is hard.

No its not.

Plenty of recordings of rappers saying the N word, are they all racist??

Case 1: his assault causing harm is concurrent with his racism charges. Sometimes reading is hard.

Nothing in your link about that no such law and you have now just resorted to straight up lying.

This charge for which he racially abused someone was "being drunk and a danger and engaging in threatening behaviour."

He will serve it concurrently with another charge not included in this incident.

Reading really is tough isn't it weldoninhio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have asked multiple times on this thread how can the public kick a Lord Mayor out of office and nobody has given an answer

The nearest to an answer I got was someone querying why would the public have any sway in it

They cant. There is your answer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Nothing in your link about that no such law and you have now just resorted to straight up lying.

This charge for which he racially abused someone was "being drunk and a danger and engaging in threatening behaviour."

He will serve it concurrently with another charge not included in this incident.

Reading really is tough isn't it weldoninhio?

Mod

READ THIS, it is not tough:

Drop it, or you will be threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have asked multiple times on this thread how can the public kick a Lord Mayor out of office and nobody has given an answer

The nearest to an answer I got was someone querying why would the public have any sway in it
    The public has no say. The mayor is elected by his/her peers at Dublin City Council.

Ms Chu was elected with the backing of the Dublin Agreement parties, which include Fianna Fáil, Labour, Social Democrats as well as the Greens.

Councillor Mary Callaghan of the Social Democrats was elected as Deputy Lord Mayor.

She's a woman, in a ceremonial position, with no ceremonies to attend, who does very little except complain that racists are racists.

We knew that. That's why we called them racists.

Racism is not accepted in general society.

That's why when white knighting idiots who find racism in everything do more harm than actual racists.

The vast majority of people would stamp out racism. But when racism becomes an amorphous blob because everything can be racist, you lose support.

Unfortunately, it seems the bar for being a racist no longer means "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others" but now means that "you said a thing that I don't like".

Actual racism is disgusting.

Bull**** made-up racism is also disgusting, but for the opposite reason.

Hazel Chu is right that we do need to address the lack of any law banning racism or hate speech in Ireland (outside the equal status act).

Racists should not be allowed to use hate fueled language to demean or harass any people in this country. I will certainly support her call for the introduction of any such legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've come across all sorts in my time and I've even had white Irish people scream racism yet I'm white and Irish, I've helped people that were abused on the street and on the bus as I'm a Driver, I've had people hear or see what they wanted to see so they could Wade into an incident to then scream racism to make me out to be a fool or maybe an idea to put in a claim

Last one was a gay couple but it went like this....

Pulled in to allow passengers off and on, very busy and loads getting on obviously before covid so pretty much bouncing off eachother, man puts free travel card on machine and say 2, as there was nobody beside him I just said who's the 2nd as there was loads going by so I knew who to account for the ticket....

He went nuts and started shouting do you ask every straight person this same question, now remember I do not know he is gay or straight or whatever and that had absolutely nothing to do with the question, a man arrived up from a seat and says we are civil partners, no issues there said no that's not what I asked but appreciate you coming back up even though that's not what I asked of them.....

Long story made much shorter I carried them even after all the sh1te and hot a big complaint in but the complaint stated it wasn't actually a complaint but I needed to be dealt with.....

Now imo that really sort of comes across as a complaint or am I missing something?

There is all sorts of things happening out there and I have no time for racism and would never ever tolerate it and as I said I've helped out others that actually were been abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hazel Chu is right that we do need to address the lack of any law banning racism or hate speech in Ireland (outside the equal status act).

Racists should not be allowed to use hate fueled language to demean or harass any people in this country. I will certainly support her call for the introduction of any such legislation.

But the other side to it is really it's an attack on freedom of speech is t it....
    I do not condone or would never use racist words or have such an agenda but imho the race card in my eyes is used way too much and has actually watered it down so much it's hard to actually understand it's meaning as it's used so much.

Example someone is refused entry because they are locked/drunk etc.... They can then bring a case especially if black or Chinese for example as they could say it was racial.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Totally agree. This would be a great contribution to our growth as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Totally agree. This would be a great contribution to our growth as a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do you think there's an issue of her being subject to large amounts of racist abuse since before she even entered office?

Is this the "race baiting" about the shooting? If not, can you point to it? Thanks.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1344367123464925187?s=19

Its odd that she didn’t sympathise with the Gardai especially those attacked and the poor Garda who had to shoot Saint George. Very odd indeed.
    Nor did she sympathise with the victim of St. George in the shop or the people attacked by the racist mob outside the shop. Very odd indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement