Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get stronger - Get faster - Stay Healthy

• 21-01-2021 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm looking to try to build up a base so that I can get stronger and hopefully faster as I progress.
    I'm a slow jogger and want to be consistent and improve this year.
    I'm also hoping to stay injury free and want to use the log to keep an eye on any strength work that I incorporate into my training.

I don't really have a structured plan. I'm loosely following a 5 km training plan off the internet but really just using it as a frame and concentrating more on trying to get my mileage up to about 30 miles a week. I aim to run 4 to 5 days a week and want to build the long run up to about 10 miles. If I can get this far for a period of time then I should be in a position to start thinking about some kind of race during the summer or autumn, probably virtual but who knows.

I did have a nice routine going in the gym for strength training but havn't done much since last March. I also want to build this up and get back into a routine without too much effort when the gym opens up again. I have a few weights at home and will hopefully start using them more frequently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Monday
    Did a few sets of single leg deadlifts with 5 kilo weights
    3 x 5 assisted pull-ups
    3 x 12 forward rows with 10 kilo weights

Tuesday
    Hamstrings were a little tender from deadlifts, this was the first time in ages I'd done that exercise.

4 x 1 km @ 5 km pace
    5.34, 5.33, 5.20, 5.16
    5 miles altogether

Wednesday
    Slow jog 10.50 pace
    3.5 miles

Thursday
    Tempo style run - This was a bit messed up, was supposed to be a 30 minute threshold run but I went out very late and didn't plan the route and couldn't see my watch while I was running. It felt like I'd ran for 30 minutes so I stopped short by almost 10 minutes. Anyway, it was enough and I jogged back home for another 2 miles.
    3.80 km @ 5.30 km pace
    4.35 miles altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Welcome to the logs, another strength person! Fantastic.

Welcome to the logs, another strength person! Fantastic.

Saturday
    5 miles @ 9.55

Monday
    6.5 miles @ 10.18
    Very busy today so glad to slot this run in before everything kicked off.
    Was stretching the calves whenever I thought about them today, need to have a good half hour session of foam rolling and stretching tomorrow.

Wednesday
    5 miles @ 9.33

Thursday
    3.5 miles @ 10.50

3 x 12 single leg dead lift on each leg with 5 kg weight
    3 x 10 leg raises
    2 x 5 assisted pull ups and 1 x 5 pull ups
    10 goblet squats with 5 kg weight
    3 x 12 dumbbell rows on each arm - I was resting sitting on the bench in between and the bench legs gave way. Is that telling me something :D
    Managed to escape with just a minor bang on the leg.

Friday
    3.5 miles @ 10.34
    Back of thighs sore today from squats and dead lifts, hadnt done them in ages.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Was going out for a regular 4 mile jog but decided when I got down the road to do some short hill repeats.
    So went down to the bottom of the hill and did 8 x 30 seconds repeats with jog down recovery.
    Had no watch on so just used my phone as a stop watch. No idea of speed.
    5.4 miles

Monday 1st February - Spring at last
    8 miles @ 10.20

I planned on doing this yesterday evening, I even put my gear on and went out the door but couldn't face the rain so put it off until this morning. Felt sluggish but got it done and added a few strides in the end at a very un-stride like pace.

Tuesday
    4 miles @ 10.30

Thursday
    Had a job getting out this evening. Between work and bringing my mother
    to get an eye injection in the Mater.
    Only got out after 9.30pm and then my sister rang me to thank me for a Birthday present.
    So it was actually after 10pm before I got down the road.
    The plan was 8 x 400m. I ended up having no route planned and no light and no measurement for the 400m repeats.
    So I went to a flat road where it wouldn't be busy and had it worked out that down to the traffic lights looked about 400m.
    It wasn't but I decided that was as far as I'd go and it would be enough under the circumstances.
    So I did the first 3 and then on the 4th a group of about 10 young fellas came along on their bikes as they do in the North Dublin suburbs but they decided to get a bit of craic out of slagging me for looking like I'm trying have a race at 10.15pm on a dark road :D
    I'm just grateful that I found what they were saying funny and didn't have a confrontation. I just looked like a nut out racing myself at night :pac:
    Needless to say I only did one more repeat and thought I'd be better off getting out of there and onto a lit road, the repeats can wait.
    My watch didn't even pick up the route properly so I wont count it as a workout.
    It was about 4.5 miles with walk backs after each repeat.

Friday

5.5 miles including 8 x 40 seconds hills.

I'm not sure what way the Garmin measured these hills. I started at the same location and ended at the same location yet the times don't look right.
    Anyway It doesnt matter, I'll take it as perceived effort and it was a good workout without being too taxing. Jog back recoveries and at the end of the run I gave a few surges to emulate strides.

40.7 secs 8.41 min/mile
    40.8 secs 7.35 min/mile
    40.2 secs 9.37 min/mile
    41.5 secs 9.58 min/mile
    38.6 secs 7.47 min/mile
    32.1 secs 8.59 min/mile
    36.2 secs 6.52 min/mile
    32.4 secs 8.35 min/mile

9.3 miles @ 10.39
    Cold run with last 4 miles uphill and into that headwind.
    Great to get it done and finish on 31.3 miles/50.37 km for the week.

• Advertisement

3 miles easy run

3 x 10 Curl and press
    3 x 10 Deadlift and bent over row
    3 x 10 Dumbbell rear delt flies + ski's
    3 x 10 Dumbbell sit-ups

3 x 12 single leg dead lift
    3 x 12 deadlift
    3 x 5 assisted pull-ups
    3 x 10 knee raises
    3 x 12 Forward row

Some foam rolling and stretching.

Thursday
    I decided to do 5 x 5 mins @ 10 km pace

I was a bit disappointed as I felt like I was giving more effort than the result suggests but realistically that is probably where I am on a 10 km. It was gusty and cold and I've had a few stressful days so I'll let myself off the hook.

5 miles with warm-up and cool down. Though there was no cool down necessary, it was baltic out.

Friday
    5 miles easy

Saturday
    36 Curl and Press (35s)
    Deadlift and Bent over row (35s)
    Dumbbell rear delt flies and ski's (35s)
    Dumbbell situps (35s)
    Goblet Squat (15 reps)
    Russian Twist (40 reps)
    Clean and Press (12 reps)
    Rear Delt Flies (12 reps)
    Dumbbell Curls (12 reps)
    Tricep Kickbacks (20 reps -- 10 each arm)

8.2 miles @ 9.22

The body really didn't want to go out tonight on this run. I was feeling very sore from the exercises I did the day before especially any time I sat down. I think I could do any type of upper body workout and I would be fine but whenever squats come into the equation, my thighs are so sore afterwards. I also don't think I was holding good form on some of the exercises as my dodgy knee was acting up towards the end of the run and I had to abandon the plan of going any further.

I'm going to have a good stretch and foam roll tonight and see if I'm up for a slow recovery tomorrow.

Monday
    3.5 mile recovery @ 10.17 with a few strides at the end

3 x 10 knee raises
    3 x 12 single leg dead lifts
    3 x 5 assisted pull-ups
    Some stretching and foam rolling

5 miles easy @ 10.40 with 5 hill repeats
    I was planning on 8 but I could feel my throat getting a little sore
    and I didnt get a good sleep so decided on 5 and an easy run home.
    I still dont have these hills down. I'm running the same distance for each
    so I'm assuming I'm not starting and stopping my watch on time for each.
    I'm using a very basic old Garmin forerunner 25.
    But I'm not too bothered since I'm not breaking any records at the moment :pac:

Tuesday
    150m 4.15 pace 38 sec
    120m 4.27 pace 32 sec
    100m 6.16 pace 37.6 sec
    110m 5.45 pace 37.9 sec
    120m 4.38 pace 33.2 sec

Thursday
    Speed workout tonight with 3 x 2 mins @ 5k pace with 1 min recovery between each. Then 1 min recovery and 10 mins @ Tempo pace and then 2 min recovery and 3 x 2 min @ 5k pace with 1 min recovery between each.

5.27 5k
    5.28 5k
    5.15 5k
    5.48 Tempo
    5.30 5k
    5.13 5k
    5.13 5k

5 miles altogether. I just ran by feel, wasn't using the watch. I take some of my speed runs off an app and let it do the work. Its not a perfect workout in terms of execution but if it feels like I made an effort then I'll take that.

4.6 miles recovery @ 10.39
    First time I wore shorts for a long time and could've done without the jacket and long sleeved top too.
    Nice and peaceful - legs were sluggish but not too bad.

10 miles @ 10.03

Monday
    I remembered yesterday the culprit for the extra sore thighs last week.
    I usually stay away from any kind of Plyometrics due to a bad knee that I fell on nearly 10 years ago.
    I don’t jump off anything or jump in the air but last week I did explosive squats which were a step too far and not something that I plan on doing again. The normal weighted squats are enough.
    Did some extra stretching and foam rolling as I could feel a slight pull on my IT band yesterday and also had some aching on the calf towards the end of the run which I think is just fitness adjustments.
    I'll take a step back week and do easy runs to give my body a chance to recover from the extra work of the past month.
    I might start looking at a proper 10km plan soon. I don't think I really need to be looking at going anywhere over 50km per week for the level I am at. If I could speed up that would be great :rolleyes:

Curl and Press (35s)
    Assisted Pushups (35s)
    Deadlifts (35s)
    Dumbbell rear delt flies and ski's (35s)
    Dumbbell situps (35s)
    Goblet Squat (30 reps)
    Russian Twist (40 reps)
    Rear Delt Flyes (12 reps)
    Dumbbell Curls (12 reps)
    Assisted pull-ups 5

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    The plan was to do very easy short runs this week but for some thick reason
    in my brain I felt really good so ran 8 miles, the last 4 were hilly.

I need to discipline myself for the rest of the week.
    I also think as slow as I am that my long runs are too fast and I need to slow them down too, probably to about 10.30 per mile until I get fitter.

4.5 miles @ 10.13
    Had a jacket on and was absolutely sweating for this one. Was running past the park and it looked absolutely jam packed, like the Phoenix park during a normal summer.
    Its so ridiculous closing everything except the parks and supermarkets when everyone is flocking to these places for somewhere to go.

I need to dig out some lighter clothes and holder for my phone so that I don't need the jacket pocket.

Did a load of stretching for my knee yesterday and then this evening got some strengthening in. I'm swapping out the squats for some bridges to see what happens. I'll add them back in eventually.

3 x 12 Single leg deadlifts
    3 x 5 Assisted pull ups
    3 x 10 Dips
    3 x 20s Single legged bridge
    Curl and Press (35s)
    Assisted Pushups (35s)
    Dumbell rear delt flies and ski's (35s)
    Dumbell situps (35s)
    Russian Twist (40 reps)
    Dumbbell Curls (12 reps)

Ran a TT today to try and get an idea of where I'm at.
    5km @ 5.17 Pace

3rd km was an incline and last 1.45 km was downhill which explains the splits.
    I jogged another 2.38 miles to bring it to 5.38 miles altogether.
    I think that's an improvement over the past month or so and will give me somewhat accurate paces to work off for the next phase of training.

6 miles @ 10.37 Lovely and mild for running this evening. Nearly had a fall off a step but thankfully caught myself just before I hit the deck but got a fright and it made me pay attention for rest of run.

Not sure if I will continue with base training or head into a plan.
    I don't think I've done enough long runs or enough 30 mile weeks to really merit increasing the long run distance or weekly mileage.
    So I'll keep plodding away and maybe add some 5k/10k plan stuff as I go along.

6 miles @ 10.20 Lovely running weather again, fairly uneventful run, same route as last night.

6 miles @ 10.11
    Same route again and starting to get bored with it. Its a good workout all the
    same, the final 3.5 miles are constant uphill.

Might try and do some strength and stretching later if I get some energy.
    I've been taking ''Source Of Life Liquid Gold'' for the past few weeks and I think
    it does give me some energy. It definitely makes me feel very alert after I drink it. Its pricey enough though. I used to take 'Revive Active' and it would make me feel almost too alert, a bit like having about 5 Expresso's together.

Thursday
    Dropped my mother off at the Mater for her needle in her eye injection. Last time she had a good wait so I decided to drive to the Phoenix park and parked at the Gardai Headquarters. Got out of my car and she rang to say she was ready to be collected. I was busy in the evening so decided to just do a bit of S&C and chill out.

3 x 12 Single leg deadlifts
    3 x 5 Assisted pull ups
    3 x 10 Dips
    3 x 20s Single legged bridge
    Curl and Press (35s)
    Assisted Pushups (35s)
    Dumbell rear delt flies and ski's (35s)
    Dumbell situps (35s)
    Russian Twist (40 reps)
    Dumbbell Curls (12 reps)

Friday 6 miles @ 10.06
    Same route as rest of week, great weather again for running. Feeling a little fatigued on the hills. Not sure if I'll take rest day tomorrow or do long run. See how I feel.
    Might take a different route.

Saturday
    3 @ 10.40

Sunday
    10 miles @ 9.50

Well and truly banjoed this evening. Did this evenings run on a flat loop.
    One of the most boring routes ever but it was quite close to home and I
    had enough hills during the week. I didn't fancy climbing a hill on my way
    home.

37 miles/59.54 km for the week.

Will cut back the mileage next week and try and do some 5/10k stuff instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What's a rear delt flye? I could Google it but just being lazy :)

Good idea to listen to the body and scale back. I've been doing similar although I'm enjoying the rest so much I might never get back running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What's a rear delt flye? I could Google it but just being lazy :)

Good idea to listen to the body and scale back. I've been doing similar although I'm enjoying the rest so much I might never get back running!

:D:D Won't get in the way of API answering the question but I'm loving the S&C jargon on this, Beginner Runner, AGYR and Bungy Girls logs. Although its probably more S than C in most cases.

API well done on the 5k TT. Precisely what you need to do to set a benchmark for training paces etc..

Also, I applaud you for calling out the back slapping, cool club on the main forum. I've been around logs and in and out of this forum for ages and we could be doing much better to welcome and engage with new logs :o:)

Advertisement