Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace oil boiler, or other alternatives

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Can you post the combustion results. That number seems odd.

Redact any identification information.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Yes. Those are not too bad except that he didn't run it long enough to heat it up. That gives an inflated efficiency value.

Do you have nozzle size and pump pressure. It will be on bottom of CD11 report.

I don't have the values for that. The only values are the ones in that little paper

If that's the only documentation he gave you, he isn't leaving you the proper information.

Anyway assuming he didn't leave it long enough to heat up (naughty) that should be fine until next annual service. He should provide that info without asking, but insist on it next time if using the same person.

Do you know how long it took him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

once that boiler is up to running temp of nearer 220 dg your eff will more likely be in the mid to low 80s

bad habit not to get boiler up to running temp before doing flugas analysis

I received the report in the post. 3 pages: CD/11, CD14,TI/133D. In the section with values, he added that paper from the machine.

He was here for maybe 1h and 15minutes.

He should have filled in the information that's not included in that printout.

He was very quick. Would only have time for the bare basics and it would have needed to be in good nick before he started. Also its obvious that he didn't wait for it to come up to temperature.

Did he leave the plastic nozzle holder anywhere about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

This thread is the closest to what my enquiry is about, moved into a house late last year that has OFCH, didn't seem very efficient during last winter, and while Im thinking of an air to water HP, wont be this year. I might have to just keep running it while putting money away for a HP until it needs something that the cost wouldnt be worth spending on it anymore. The Boiler is a Firebird Heatpac 120, the label says 26kw-35kw and I think it could be 20+years old, but it may be reliable, but seems likely its not efficient. The kw size seems massive? for a 3 bed dormer bungalow. The boiler is still running and I was mainly thinking of just getting it serviced at the moment. I have turned it on a few times when it felt a bit cold recently so it runs (fingers crossed). Over last winter noticed some rads get hot, others not so much, so thats more a balancing problem. What concerned me more (for the heat loss) was I noticed 2 rads on side of house where boiler is, are teed off externally in qualpex (insulation poor) and buried in concrete, will be losing lots of heat as the poor insulation that can be seen behind the enclosure with the boiler is deteriorated, the insulation inside the boiler looks poor too.While I expect the general parts like nozzles,oil lines, filters will be available, will other parts be available for this make/model? like the insulation panels? or would I be as well to beef it up with mineral wool sheet, as there looked to be plenty of space, (I checked donedeal/gumtree to see if I could see the same boiler for spare insulation or even baffles but I didnt find anything).

While I got the impression new oil boilers would be banned, looking it up, it appears replacements will still be available to properties with an oil boiler, although Id rather get as long as I can out of this one and replace with a HP, than replace it with something that will last 15-20 years.

The boiler appears to have been serviced at least a few years ago, although its rough enough looking imo. Im not sure thats frequent enough for an oil boiler, I'm tempted to at least check to see how much soot is in there, how much approximately would an oil boiler service cost? if I dont need anything major?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭John.G

Mine is a 18 year old (Firebird) 90S, 20.5/26kw, jetted to the lower output, ultra reliable and no intention of replacing it with a condensing unit just yet, you will get ~ a 7 to 10% (maybe 15%) efficiency gain, say €150/annum saving. A good service to your own, cost, maybe €200ish, ensure your service person runs the boiler until fully hot after its service and to then include the flue gas temperature in the fluegas analysis, very easy then to see its efficiency.

Grant and I think firebird do a Hybrid, oil boiler/Heat Pump which I might have a look at in the next few years

Advertisement