Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Like a GQP presidency would do anything to reduce spending on US weapons manufacture. The Middle East purchased 47% of US arms exports 2016-2020, the majority to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

https://caat.org.uk/data/countries/united-states/us-arms-exports/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I absolutely agree that Biden (and the entire US Givernment) have helped facilitate and protect Israel's war on Palestine, have failed the people of Palestine, and their actions around the entire conflict are largely reprehensible.

But the idea that Trump wouldn't have done worse is laughable. Trump would have helped Israel even more to wipe out the Palestinians under the guise of "I just want the war to end and for people to stop dying", by just helping Israel to win and destroy the Palestinian people to the point where there are no more of them for Israel to kill in the region. Then of course, Jared would be straight in with a set of blueprints for his new developments, and Trump would have been crowing about helping the end the war.

Trump didn't want the GOP to vote through the Border bill because it benefitted him and his election chances, rather than any effect it may have on the American people. He downplayed Covid for so long because it benefitted him, rather than any effect it would have on the American people. He tried to overturn the results of an election he lost because it benefitted him, rather than any effect it would have on the American people.

Anyone really think he'd be doing what's best for the Palestinian people instead of what benefitted himself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The simple pointer towards Trump's inability or criminal negligence in terms of policing the Israel conflict was in both his deployment of Jared Kushner, and recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The latter an especially deleterious action.

The bad faith like to trumpet Trump's lack of wars but any notion he'd possess the gravitas, patience or even handedness to bring this all back from the brink, or implement the mythical two state solution, isn't just naive it's idiotic.

We've heard Trump tell he'd wave on Russia if it invaded a NATO country not paying its dues, like the mobster he behaves as; what possible chance is there he'd challenge Netanyahu and not simply accelerate the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I’d bet trump couldn’t point out Israel on a map. Let alone Gaza or the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

• Advertisement

Lost the Steele lawsuit appeal. So much winning, now owes 300k ukp.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/29/politics/donald-trump-steele-dossier-appeal/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In fairness, the movement of the capital to Jerusalem has been American policy prior to trump, he just lacked the knowledge of the geopolitics to actually go through with it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Absolutely, how much TV or social media coverage / content occurs about an event is a stupid way to judge a president of a different country.

It's also a stupid reason to use to try and infer racism from other posters on this site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread has gone seriously off topic.

There is a thread discussing Hamas and Israel, go discuss that topic there unless you're banned from it, in which case this thread is NOT a suitable proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭political analyst

I said "precedent that would be abused under a future corrupt president" - so Trump isn't the only possible victor in a presidential election who could abuse the prosecutorial process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭political analyst

Hard to tell with some of them, Kaczymarak in Texas, James Ho, Aileen Cannon. Aggressive Judicial legislators, something the GQP used to complain about all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In case you missed the subtle ways previously, he's actually comparing himself to Jesus now

****ing hell 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

Why don't the major Church leaders not condemn Trumph's blasphemous references to hiself as a persecuted Messiah? Pope Francis is often characterised as anti-Western, pro Putin. This is his chance to clean the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why? Because Trump is bringing the bible back. He is forcing religion back into the law and government.

We have seen in the past that religion is more than happy to turn a blind eye to any and all evils if it feels its overall mission is being advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Because Trump is bringing the bible back"*

At 60 bucks a pop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They kinda do when you take people like Al Sharpton; but the evangelicals don't because Trump is an imperfect vessel for one, and for two half the "churches" in that pantheon are tax-free money making machines, peddling the Wealth Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭briany

Oddly enough, Christianity is supposed to be about being loving, merciful and kind. So, if you were to overlook any evil in pursuit of that, it would be pretty counterproductive.

It suggests to me, therefore, that whatever American evangelicals are after - however it is they see their perfect world - it hasn't a whole lot to do with the fundamental tenets of Christianity. More to do with being the fiery right hand of God, destroying everything they deem to be unholy. Putting themselves in a position to be the judge. I'm no biblical expert by any means, but is there no passages in the Bible about this kind of cruel sanctimoniousness?

Supposing that the advocates of an American Christian theocracy got their way, you know they wouldn't stop there. That would only be one step in a never ending pursuit of ideological purity. The next step would be to attack other Christian denominations.

We see, once again, the genius in the idea of separating church and state, because to not do this gives us either a completely intolerant state whose heads consider themselves elected by God or else a state that is constantly at war with itself as various factions fight for religious supremacy. Ireland has been through both of those at times in its history and both were shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You could say that a lot of other religions and Christian demonisations are similar, but evangelicals are essentially a destructive cult, who just want the world to end.

For a people who are supposed to be full of God's love and grace, they are such miserable unhappy people, a lot of whom just want to spread their misery.

Same as some religious people who are only supposed to believe the word of God are so quick to believe and repeat the most base conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trump's laziness as a "Christian" is something that any actual Christian, any atheist, any plain decent and moral person should oppose and call out.

The man is grifting Bible sales now, albeit a clever way to gain money from amoral churches and Christians? Any one with sense knows it's performative BS.

Trump the man who held the bible upside down in a gaff during his time as President?

**Correction added, he held it up right way round**

Who when selling his grifters bible couldn't actually even paraphrase a favourite passage! A man who for months has known he'd be pumping bible belt rubes for cash, and who rather than attending service or posing in prayer?

Shared an AI created photo instead and in the 3 months since hasn't done much else to demonstrate his Christianity.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭briany

Snopes holds the upside Bible thing as false. However, his complete lack of religious faith isn't really in question. He was once asked did he prefer the new or old testament, to which he said, "Uh, about equal." Technically truthful, I suppose you could say…

It isn't even that the American evangelicals who support him think he's a holy man. They just see him as the most useful instrument yet in tearing down the current barriers between church and state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'll strike that then 😉 amazing how quickly a mistake can become "fact" and if we can't acknowledge and accept our own mistakes?

We can't really hold others to account for their dishonesty.

Now to figure out how to strike through text on vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

look at the cover.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

Uncovered emails show the Michigan auditor general was actually a coconspirator in helping write up the request sent to his own office to initiate the state’s 2020 election audit. The OAG is supposed to be nonpartisan.

https://michiganadvance.com/2024/03/30/emails-reveal-michigan-auditor-general-helped-write-gop-draft-requesting-2020-election-audit/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/djt/chart/ Is this the start of the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I think it started last week once the initial buzz met the harsh ruthlessness of professional investors

I tried googling $DJT but got the Dow Jones transportation average instead lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think there us only 10% of the shares floated at present. Trump has nearly 70% and I think other individuals are tied in for 60 days as well.

Probably only 3-4% are really liquid at present a couple hundred million in value only. Very easy to effect such stock by buying or selling it

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If I'm reading it right, ~60% of the trading activity looks to be people shorting the stock..

~3.2M out of ~5.3M

Am I reading that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Stock down 25%….lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement