Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with supermarket work

Options
  • 18-01-2021 10:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently work part time in a supermarket and I'm finding the work incredibly challenging. I have to haul large cases of minerals and boxes of crisps up and down from the stockroom all day. Some of these mineral cases can weigh as much as 20 kg and I've hurt my back on more than one occasion.

Despite this I am known as a good worker but I really feel the work is taking a toll on my health.

I would like to begin an exercise programme to help make me fitter and stronger. My friend was recommending a jogging programme called couch to 5k. Has anyone got experience with this jogging programme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Companies are expected to have manual handling training in place and I would have thought its up to your employer to have the right equipment so that you dont have to hoof a lot of weight under your own steam?

That being said resistance training would help you more than cardio, but firstly I'd try to find some specific tips on how to lift push and pull your particular type of loads safely, there are always good and bad ways to do something

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

For over 15 years I've worked in jobs where I would be on my feet all day and lifting things from slightly less than 20kg to far heavier than that. I'm also the only person that I know thats come out of these jobs with a reasonably healthy back.
    I would say jogging is fine but for this problem is useless, imagine who would be more likely to get injured doing your job, a marathon runner or a powerlifter? I'm using extremes to hammer home the point but you get the idea.
    Learn to lift stuff properly, its as simple as that. Ideally you should start deadlifting, failing that, strong exercise bands are fine, goblet squats would be ok too.
    Also eating more if you are pretty light will definitely help because to be fair 20kg isn't heavy, its only 2 5L water bottles per hand and I know a skinny woman in her 70s that lifts those

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP is a spoofer, ignore the thread.

OP: "Known as a good worker"

Also OP: "In trouble with manager for pooping too much"

Also OP: Had covid and working within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Hi all,

I'm currently work part time in a supermarket and I'm finding the work incredibly challenging. I have to haul large cases of minerals and boxes of crisps up and down from the stockroom all day. Some of these mineral cases can weigh as much as 20 kg and I've hurt my back on more than one occasion.

Despite this I am known as a good worker but I really feel the work is taking a toll on my health.

I would like to begin an exercise programme to help make me fitter and stronger. My friend was recommending a jogging programme called couch to 5k. Has anyone got experience with this jogging programme?

How are you fitting in this work around your toilet breaks?
    Lads don't feed the troll, you'd need to be infirm to find lifting crisp boxs a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

ED E wrote: »

And going to McDonald's while having Covid!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

For over 15 years I've worked in jobs where I would be on my feet all day and lifting things from slightly less than 20kg to far heavier than that. I'm also the only person that I know thats come out of these jobs with a reasonably healthy back.
    I would say jogging is fine but for this problem is useless, imagine who would be more likely to get injured doing your job, a marathon runner or a powerlifter? I'm using extremes to hammer home the point but you get the idea.
    Learn to lift stuff properly, its as simple as that. Ideally you should start deadlifting, failing that, strong exercise bands are fine, goblet squats would be ok too.
    Also eating more if you are pretty light will definitely help because to be fair 20kg isn't heavy, its only 2 5L water bottles per hand and I know a skinny woman in her 70s that lifts those

I'm hoping to re join the gym once they reopen. Thanks.

ED E wrote: »

Please stop twisting everything I say. I really don't appreciate you trying to derail my threads.

And going to McDonald's while having Covid!

Sorry no one is "going to McDonalds" as they are not open at the minute. I used the drive through as I had no other means of feeding myself. I obviously wore a mask. Please stop with the sensationalism and stick to the topic of this thread.

Advertisement