Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcohol for cleaning CPU

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

I think this is more like what I need:
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/electronics-cleaners/2017581/

Anyone use RS before for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Tin Man wrote: »
    Yeah that worried me as well. I'll skip boots and just order something online

As per previous post isopropyl alcohol 500ml is available from any pharmacy. It will cost approx €18. In stock or ordered for next day.

Tin Man wrote: »
    I think this is more like what I need:
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/electronics-cleaners/2017581/

Anyone use RS before for delivery?

I've never ordered isopropyl alcohol from them but they have deliver plenty of electronic products to me with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

As others have said, just walk into your local pharmacy and ask them. If they don't have it they'll order it and you'll have it next day or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As others have said, just walk into your local pharmacy and ask them. If they don't have it they'll order it and you'll have it next day or so

Really depends on where you are. I got a bottle no problem in Cork, but I've never been able to buy it in a chemist in Dublin - they usually just straight out lie that they "don't carry it"; Some even attempted to claim they "can't sell it to the public". Apparently people DO drink it and so chemists want no part in someone making the Hindenburg out of their liver (that's also why it's taxed as if it was Vodka, I guess). A 1L bottle on "denatured alcohol" (aka cleaning alcohol) in continental EU costs around 2 Euro, just sayin'.

Other than that, I clearly must look like an alcoholic, what can I say :D

Alternative sources - most "contact cleaner" products are nothing but IPA, IF you can find any of these in physical shops in Ireland; Maplin used to have them, but they've been no more for a long time.

Arts&Crafts stores, as well as Model Kit ones might have some as it's used as an acrylic paint thinner; It's again expensive, like 8-10 Euro for a 250cc bottle.

That said, I've also been using the cheapest nail polish remover that you can find in Tesco and similar stores - the one that is basically pure acetone; Make sure it has no "hand protection" cream or sh1t of that guise in it. Been using it since the 486 days and always worked perfectly.

If it's for CPU cleaning, in all fairness modern IHS could probably be cleaned with a severed cow's tongue and whale fat, they're just big huge solid bricks of metal; We're far away from the AthlonXP days of semi-exposed die and a thermal paste cleaning and application process that was akin to handling high explosives. If it's a GPU that's the "patient", then more care is required.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Really depends on where you are. I got a bottle no problem in Cork, but I've never been able to buy it in a chemist in Dublin - they usually just straight out lie that they "don't carry it"; Some even attempted to claim they "can't sell it to the public". Apparently people DO drink it and so chemists want no part in someone making the Hindenburg out of their liver (that's also why it's taxed as if it was Vodka, I guess). A 1L bottle on "denatured alcohol" (aka cleaning alcohol) in continental EU costs around 2 Euro, just sayin'.
    Other than that, I clearly must look like an alcoholic, what can I say :D
    I am a pharmacist, not familiar with anyone trying to buy it for consumption.

Methylated Spirits caused many deaths, it has bizarre rules:
    Retailers must buy a licence to sell it, cost €12.
    You cannot sell it from Saturday 9pm to Monday 8am. You can only keep a maximum of 18.5L.

I don't think there is extra tax on it, there is just one supplier via pharmacy, the retail price is based on their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

manshay wrote: »
    I am a pharmacist, not familiar with anyone trying to buy it for consumption.

Thanks for that -
    I wasn't able buy it at my local pharmacy either - I wanted it for cleaning / restoring old electronic devices.

- same also with peroxide - I wanted to do something called Retro Brite - Dilute Peroxide and UV light is a technique to whiten old brown and discolored console plastic shells. Seems readily available over the counter in UK, Australia and USA

Chemist told they could not sell it here - tried also a shop locally that sold hair salon products - wouldn't sell it to me either even after explaining what its for- is this true that it cannot be sold in Ireland? t.y.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    - same also with peroxide - I wanted to do something called Retro Brite - Dilute Peroxide and UV light is a technique to whiten old brown and discolored console plastic shells. Seems readily available over the counter in UK, Australia and USA

Chemist told they could not sell it here - tried also a shop locally that sold hair salon products - wouldn't sell it to me either even after explaining what its for- is this true that it cannot be sold in Ireland? t.y.

No we also sell hydrogen peroxide! It is used to make crystal meth though, think breaking bad! We have a professional responsibility to ensure items are not abused, but if someone gives me a coherent reason I have no problem selling any of these products. However if I was asked for several bottles without a reasonable explanation it may become unavailable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ozmo wrote: »

what you want is this
    https://www.boots.ie/jerome-russell-b-blonde-cream-peroxide-for-medium-to-dark-brown-hair-75ml-10029979

they are small bottles so get a few

I recently did it for my Amiga A500 and A1200 which you can see the results here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058192534

I mixed it with Vanish or Formil if you go to Lidl

• Advertisement
Advertisement