Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• I've noticed on Twitter and with some UK ministers than when somebody says Brexit is an issue they respond with.

"Brexit is not 100% the problem." I think they're hoping that the less mathematically savvy will just hear "Brexit is not the problem"

I agree (with the 100% bit) and I think most people agree but they slightly deflect their understanding of the issue to come out with that line. I think there are few, if any areas where Brexit is 100% the problem. Maybe it's 40% for the haulier problem, 70% fishing, 20% hotel & retail staff etc. etc. etc.

Is there any situation that benefits from Brexit (I mean for the general UK population and not just some rich Tory benefactors)

• Is there any situation that benefits from Brexit (I mean for the general UK population and not just some rich Tory benefactors)

That is indeed the key question and thus far certainly in terms of tangible benefits , the answer is a resounding and categoric No.

There is nothing about the day to day lives of the average Briton that has been made better by Brexit.

A lot of stuff so far is unchanged, but an increasing number of things have been made worse to some degree.

• Lets not forget that even the EU were warning the UK that Covid created additional problems and that a transitional period extension would be best.

They not only refused, but mocked the very idea.

So it is a bit hard to take any minister, or MP, claiming that Covid is having an impact, when they were warned about it and choose not to do anything to reduce the impact of the combination of Brexit and Covid. Their job is to protect the country from issues like this, and whilst one can argue about the impact of Covid, they completely failed to delay Brexit which is making the problems worse.

• One of the huge failures with the vote to leave, perhaps the biggest failure of all, is that it failed to take into the account that circumstances in the UK might change in the near future. It assumed that everything would remain the same as at June 23rd 2016, EU immigration would carry on abated : the reasons for leaving the EU in 2016 would still apply in 2021, 2025 and 2035. Covid-19 is exactly the type of unanticipated event that would render Brexit a disastrous decision. But nobody was even factoring in such a possibility : all they wanted to hear was Farage's slogans.

• Advertisement

• You could argue it was predominately a failure of the political system. If the UK had a proper system for holding referendums with numerous checks and balances built in, the whole shambles could have been avoided. Yes, the shysters like Farage, Vote Leave and the Telegraph would still have been there spouting the same nonsense, but they would never have been able to subvert the system and hijack a referendum.

FPTP contributed hugely to the 'winner takes all' mentality (another reason why an advisory referendum was a quite disastrous idea).

• M&S closing 11 French stores and blaming it squarely on Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58582860

• I think Archie Norman, the head of M&S who is a former Tory MP blames the paperwork required by the EU as being responsible and not the decisions by the UK government since this debacle began.

Apparently the company's problems have nothing to do with them not changing their supply chains in anticipation of their current issues (sure who could have predicted this kind of mess?)

• The UK can now put the crown back on their pint glasses. I was amazed to read that this wasn't allowed under EU law. Is that really the case? If so, why?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/16/brexit-triumph-crown-stamp-returns-pint-glasses-bonfire-eu-rules/

• Advertisement

• I think M&S setting up a distribution centre for Ireland ad NI and basing it in Scotland was a spectacular example of lack of foresight - I think it was set up in 2019, but I may be wrong in that.

If only the proposed bridge or tunnel across the Beaufort dyke had been built a few years ago, but now binned, it would be a fantastic coup, but there you go, cannot win them all.

Why do M&S still continue to source everything for Ireland only from the UK, and particularly Britain?

The 'British' shops in Belgium and France have switched their supply for such particularly British fodder to Roscrea - a good pragmatic decision. Why could M&S not do the same?

• Things getting a bit surreal - Johnson to announce the return of Imperial weights and measures and that decimal ones are no longer required or mandatory

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scales-of-justice-tilt-towards-the-metric-martyr-638vfn655

• It does appear there was no reason why Britain could not have a crown (as well as a CE mark), its not entirely clear why it was dropped.

• Imperial weights were never outlawed by the EU. They were just required to use Metric measurements alongside imperial for consumer goods

Where imperial was not used, it was because they were not needed or wanted.

“I’d like a box of 50mg capsules of ibuprofen please”

”we don’t sell them here, I’ll give you some 0.00000395 qrt capsules instead”

• Is this trying to dumb down the nation?

Everything is manufactured using metric these days, the labels are converted to imperial for the fuddy duddies.

• Advertisement

• Brexit was in my opinion a vote against the current and perceived future immigration situation in Britain,without that issue it would never happened.So all these stories regarding EU lorry drivers going home and the swathe of other similiar stories regarding other industries experiencing similiar issues with staff np longer around is exactly what a proportion of the Leave voters wanted to happen so to them these headlines are proving Brexit is working and delivering on it promise.Far from admitting its a disaster they will feel its very much a success.

• All you need to know about the UK's attitude to data protection is that the big sell off of medical data meant you had to find out for yourself how to opt-out of the GPDPR.

Not to be confused with the GDPR where opt-in consent is mandatory for sharing to third parties.

• It's just the Tories trying to play to the crowd a bit. Nothing more.

• A lot of truth in that, hence the Brexiteer / Leave voter denial about there being any food shortages. There can hardly be shortages if EU workers (including drivers) were a 'burden' on the country and surplus to requirements.

• Ironic. Blames it on the EU "red tape".

Yes, red tape, red tape that the country you base your business out of willingly and voluntarily voted to subject yourselves to.

To paraphrase a certain cohort, "You won, get over it".

• would you notice anything in an M&S in Dublin?, almost curious to pop into the one in Blackrock. have they had to switch their dairy to Irish?

• For quite a while now, the UK pub trade has mostly sourced its glassware from the Czech Republic. Czech manufacturers were happy to manufacture glasses with a crown stamp if asked, but very few purchasers asked because, well, why would you? The reason it largely fell out of use is basically because there was no reason to use it, and nobody cared whether it was used or not.

There are plenty of older glasses still in use that have the crown mark, and any publican who wanted new glasses with the crown mark could have them.

• We have a local M&S Food in Santry and since the axe fell there has always been a noticeable number of shelves lacking stock. During the first Lockdown it was positively barren. They hide it well with creative shelving techniques so nothing's fully empty, but much of the fresh meat sections (of which it was often British) lacks quantity and choice. Many of the ready meals are the same, lacking numbers. Now, maybe I just have bad timing and I'm visiting too early / late to see the resting stock - but I don't think so. I've seen what's in the staff's trollies and there's never that much to pack.

• Whilst I fully understand the thinking behind the latest announcement regarding weights and measures and the crown stamp as it feeds directly into the headlines and feel good factor, like blue passports, that continues to throw crumbs to the masses whilst hiding the disaster happening in front of them I do question whether the government has thought this through (thats not true, I'm not questioning at all, I know they haven't).

Whilst annoucements like this will undoubtedly sell well into Brexitland, it comes on the same week the Frost is demanding that the EU negotiate and, in relation to NI, ease up on the regulations since they are the UK are sure aren't standards the same.

This highlights have quickly and without any real consideration the UK will change regulations and that the EU cannot possibly trust the UK not to make rash changes in the future. In the discussions, what answer can the UK reps give when the reasonable question from the EU side comes as to how to protect the EU when standards change? The UK position seems to be that leave everything as is and only worry about it if something changes.

But in reality, that means that the EU needs to pay constant attention to UK law and UK policies in case anything changes, shifting the responsibility, and risk, from the UK to the EU.

• Advertisement

• Well, dumbing down I think is the wrong idea. It is pandering to the dumb.

The RTE programme - Operation Transformation - is about people turning their life around by losing significant excess weight in hope of improving their health and their life. They measure all weights in stones and pounds and not Kilograms. Participants are given weight loss targets in lbs over the coming week, instead of in Kilos. Why not go metric as most people who went to school over the last 40 years learnt through metric measures? Or is it the programme makers who think that the audience and participants are too dumb to be able to understand the metric weights?

As I say - pandering to the dumb.

Advertisement