Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't we come a long way!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We seem to be making things more efficient but at the same time we are making more things that require energy.

So despite everything getting more efficient we still seem to be increasing our energy consumption!

My point exactly.

Its been pointed out the OP has a great setup, but they would be the exception to the rule.

Ireland as a country is full of terribly built houses, with poor insulation, and crap at retaining the heat that is generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭lucalux

NIMAN wrote: »
    My point exactly.

Its been pointed out the OP has a great setup, but they would be the exception to the rule.

Ireland as a country is full of terribly built houses, with poor insulation, and crap at retaining the heat that is generated.

And then, conversely, unbearable in any kind of heat. 2018 was a killer. No aircon and no domestic fans to be got anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hero25 wrote: »
    What kind of houses will our grandchildren build in the future? What's next?

Probably something in a wintery Mad-Max-esqe apocalypse driven by extreme climate inconcistency where electricity and petrol are currencies and our grandchildren are telling their kids of a time when we just had to press a button for hot water.

Happy days, huh?! :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

lucalux wrote: »
    (wait when did that open?!)

The hospital, which was established as the first secure hospital in Europe, opened as the Central Criminal Lunatic Asylum for Ireland in 1850 ...

I know - once past a certain age it all becomes a blur but if you remember that, then perhaps, maybe, that's where you belong. :)

[/End Thread Diversion]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You are probably paying dear for it though. In the 70s you could buy a massive house for £12,000. Wages were lower but not 20-30 times lower.

I didn't see much of the 80s but I dont remember being cold. We had a a range you could shovel a load of cheap coal into and there was grand haet off it :)

You could also have the privelege of paying up to 17-18% interest on that mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

No.. .. ..

featured_preview_GBWFU2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d gladly go back to the 70s 80s.
    We had less,but we appreciated what we had more and we fixed things instead of take it out and replace.
    They were happier times.
    We are living like kings and queens now,in a throwaway nation and we don’t realise how good we have it.
    It’s a new world of mass produced,pointless plastic sh1te and we are the gormless fools who support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We had a timer on the central heating that never worked... it was an oil system so from manually flicking the switch to feeling warm was about two hours..
    Now in this place if the system isn’t programmed as in the timer I can switch it on from bed, sofa, wherever, place is stifling in 30 minutes, less. Place holds the heat great, childhood home was freezing 30 minutes after switching the heat off, properly iceberg cold.

About 6 poxy channels on TV... nothing was on demand. Sport was an event. With the arrival of screensport it was unreal. Now we have about 550 channels.

Bus timetables weren’t worth the paper they were printed on. Now they are written on our mobile phones. With how far away the bus is.

Strumms wrote: »
    About 6 poxy channels on TV...

It's been said before, plenty of times, 6 poxy channels were better then 1 really poxy channel.

Dáithí Lacha anyone? Bosco...? Wanderly Wagon? Christ, even the Angelus had better plot lines - and that's still running!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's been said before, plenty of times, 6 poxy channels were better then 1 really poxy channel.

Dáithí Lacha anyone? Bosco...? Wanderly Wagon? Christ, even the Angelus had better plot lines - and that's still running!

Better certainly, but in the context of coming a long way, we have, that’s an example. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My home place was build around 1790... cold in the summer... freezing in the winter. To get dressed we would line up in front of the kitchen cooker to get warm... it was never let go out. Always had hot water but Christ the house was cold, even when oil was eventually put in... it still gets really cold if there’s no one there for any length of time.

We had one of those electric bar heaters in the bathroom, it was fixed to the wall above the bath, Christ when I think of it now, so dangerous, bearing in the mind there was probably never less than three of us kids in the bath at any one time....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland as a country, economy and society has changed beyond all recognition over the past 30 years, and for the better.

From being a church dominated theocracy in all but name, low educational attainment, low paid jobs, third world infrastructure, high persistent unemployment, economic mismanagement, political corruption, widespread poverty and especially child poverty - to being one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Between 1990 and 2010 the Irish "middle" class effectively more than doubled in size.

And largely thanks to our EU membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Yes, hopefully we are all more aware of the terrible destruction that our consumerism has caused. We are destroying the environment, the animal and plant kingdom, changing the climate, forcing mass migrations, building up huge national debts, giving all our rights and responsibilities away to huge corporations, generating incredibly expensive housing.

What a ****ing mess and example to hand over to our kids.

I'm sure the response to this will be negative. But just pointing out the facts. We ****ed up during the Celtic tiger and we are continuing to **** up. We will be looked back on in 100 years with disgust. The selfish generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

eviltwin wrote: »
    I recently got smart lightbulbs and plugs in my house. Its amazing to be able to turn on or off a light and start the kettle without having to leave my bed. And add to that all the other things we have now that we take for granted...I mean, being able to pause/rewind live tv is something I still find pretty amazing.

Smart kettle?
    What?
    Hang on
    Explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Trying to put a positive spin on my previous post. But I can't. Really. We've copied bad aspects of consumer/capitalist culture and countries with much larger populations are doing same.

Yes, Ireland had come along incredibly, but we need to grow up and face the issues. Hopefully strong leadership from EU and Biden US can change things. Hopefully China, Russia, India ...get on board. The response to covid has shown that huge changes can happen quickly.

Anyway. Be good!

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

hero25 wrote: »
    What kind of houses will our grandchildren build in the future?
    Well I suspect they won't be by the shore!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well I suspect they won't be by the shore!

Or better, my house in Cavan will be by the seaside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Back to the original point of the thread, Ireland went from the famine to being one of the worlds richest countries and best places to live in 150 years. Appreciate we had a lot of pain and forgettable issues in-between.

But it is now a thoroughly modern and progressive country.

I think it is a great example of what can be done.
    Yet we have many countries that are basket cases and don't show signs of any major improvement. I wonder will these countries still be unchanged in another 50 or 100 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes we have come a long way from the bog brained backward days.... a lot to work on though esp towards other races and other religions still a lot of ignorance out there

but yes things have improved greatly, we're more open minded and dare i say..sophisticated

watch the beginning of this, now that's the ireland i remember from my youth...narrow roads narrow minds:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

Interesting reading in the various comments and the nostalgia of growing up in cold houses -can empathise with most of them! Apologies for the acronyms, I'd thought most were part of today's vernacular.
    Was hoping to get an insight to future trends & technologies in house building & efficiencies .... what's coming? what's on the horizon? whats off the wall but could be the norm in 30 years time! (who'd have thought 30 years ago that we could heat the house using "normal air" - even in Winter!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

We've regressed in certain ways as well.

It isn't all sunshine and shower heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

wah?? elaborate

Advertisement