Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Heat Pump Servicing - Any need?

• 17-01-2021 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati

I have a Daikin heat pump and read on the manual that it should be serviced annually - the installer has quoted 280 quid to service it which seems like a rip off - I’ve been paying 60 quid to get a gas boiler serviced for years. I’ve no idea what’s involved and am guessing it’s similar to a fridge service

Can anybody comment on what’s involved in getting a service and what folks are paying? 220 extra a year in servicing cost wasn’t advertised when buying the heat pump vs oil or gas boiler but is a significant cost which will basically eat up any energy savings Im seeing with the unit.

Is the servicing essential and is 280 quid typical? It’s a Daikin unit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ Conar

Casati wrote: »
    I have a Daikin heat pump and read on the manual that it should be serviced annually - the installer has quoted 280 quid to service it which seems like a rip off - I’ve been paying 60 quid to get a gas boiler serviced for years. I’ve no idea what’s involved and am guessing it’s similar to a fridge service

Can anybody comment on what’s involved in getting a service and what folks are paying? 220 extra a year in servicing cost wasn’t advertised when buying the heat pump vs oil or gas boiler but is a significant cost which will basically eat up any energy savings Im seeing with the unit.

Is the servicing essential and is 280 quid typical? It’s a Daikin unit

I have been getting mine serviced with unitherm.
    https://www.unithermhs.ie

It's been €175 for the last 2 years, need to get it done again soon. They were the providers so getting it done through them extended the warranty each time but I think that has reached its 3 year limit.

I'd love to be able to tell you whether they do good work but while I understand reasonably well how to use the thing my expertise stops there.

https://www.daikin.ie/en_gb/service-residential/service-partners.html
    There's a list of service partners there which might be worth a go.

Could you update me with how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati

Conar wrote: »
    I have been getting mine serviced with unitherm.
    https://www.unithermhs.ie

It's been €175 for the last 2 years, need to get it done again soon. They were the providers so getting it done through them extended the warranty each time but I think that has reached its 3 year limit.

I'd love to be able to tell you whether they do good work but while I understand reasonably well how to use the thing my expertise stops there.

https://www.daikin.ie/en_gb/service-residential/service-partners.html
    There's a list of service partners there which might be worth a go.

Could you update me with how you get on?

Thanks for that - cheaper than my quote so I will
    Check them out - but still three times what the gas boiler costs. It been working perfectly and obviously it’s an expensive unit so I want to maintain the warranty but wish I’d know about the servicing cost when buying it

Casati wrote: »
    Thanks for that - cheaper than my quote so I will
    Check them out - but still three times what the gas boiler costs. It been working perfectly and obviously it’s an expensive unit so I want to maintain the warranty but wish I’d know about the servicing cost when buying it

Yeah, it's a ridiculous cost. I'm hoping to get it lower now that warranty is no longer a concern.
    At the end of the day, unless parts are being replaced (and I don't think they are) then we should be just paying for a call out charge and an hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

have you got a power meter on the HP showing what the power commotion is in real time, thats a key item to keep an eye off how it is doing because if the compressor goes iffy, the back up clicks in at a COP of 1

IIRC the service includes checking the refrigerant , which I think attracts a more expensive service technician

have you got a power meter on the HP showing what the power commotion is in real time, thats a key item to keep an eye off how it is doing because if the compressor goes iffy, the back up clicks in at a COP of 1

IIRC the service includes checking the refrigerant , which I think attracts a more expensive service technician

Not a live power meter but can see a month view. I try to keep an eye on the pressure and it's always at a steady 1.6-1.7 bar. Assume that's fine as it never changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement