Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM ThinkPad laptop 20 years old - locked password Windows 2000 pro

Options
  • 16-01-2021 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

My uncle gave me his old IBM ThinkPad laptop and charger that he had used 15-20 years ago. He says that he thought the HDD was fried but it turns on and boots to the Win 2000 pro screen. The problem is that he's forgotten the Windows password.

The laptop has no battery and no working cd or disk drive. There are USB ports but they are not recognising any usb I plug in.

I could use this laptop for a variety of things if I could get it working. I might also be able to give it to one of my students who has nothing for online learning except her phone.

Is there any way to get past the Windows password? I have tried a few things (safe mode etc) that I found online and nothing works. I don't want to reformat the entire laptop as there may be pics and other files that my family would like access to.

I'm willing to try anything but unfortunately I'm not very technically proficient. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP sorry to disappoint but that laptop is about as useful as a doorstop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

My uncle gave me his old IBM ThinkPad laptop and charger that he had used 15-20 years ago. He says that he thought the HDD was fried but it turns on and boots to the Win 2000 pro screen. The problem is that he's forgotten the Windows password.

The laptop has no battery and no working cd or disk drive. There are USB ports but they are not recognising any usb I plug in.

I could use this laptop for a variety of things if I could get it working. I might also be able to give it to one of my students who has nothing for online learning except her phone.

Is there any way to get past the Windows password? I have tried a few things (safe mode etc) that I found online and nothing works. I don't want to reformat the entire laptop as there may be pics and other files that my family would like access to.

I'm willing to try anything but unfortunately I'm not very technically proficient. Thanks in advance for any replies.

It would be pretty easy to retrieve the password using ophcrack live CD but you'll need the cd drive working

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly, and I do appreciate the altruistic purpose of you sharing the laptop if you can get it running.
    But from a hardware standpoint, this laptop is of zero use to any student and other than managing an excel spreadsheet there really isn't anything at all that it could usefully manage.
    Hardware has moved on in exponential terms since then, your student using her phone is using a device that is far more capable.

Windows 2000 is unsupported for all modern software instances.
    You could try a search for "Barts PE" and that will give a cd with plenty of options to bypass the log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

When it boots does it show the login account as administrator or a different user name? You’ll want the admin account ideally. You could try the simple passwords just to check it’s not something very straightforward; admin, adm1n, password, pa33w0rd kind of things.

Use the function keys to gain access to the BIOS at boot time and check that USB is enabled. If so, configure a spare USB as a boot recovery disc. There’s a bunch of distributions that will replace the password and allow you to log on. Once you’ve recovered what’s needed replace the OS with a current one. A Linux distribution will be grand and a recent browser should get a student through the effort required.

Good challenge and good luck, someone who doesn’t have a laptop, especially a school going student will really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Tazium wrote: »
    When it boots does it show the login account as administrator or a different user name? You’ll want the admin account ideally. You could try the simple passwords just to check it’s not something very straightforward; admin, adm1n, password, pa33w0rd kind of things.

Use the function keys to gain access to the BIOS at boot time and check that USB is enabled. If so, configure a spare USB as a boot recovery disc. There’s a bunch of distributions that will replace the password and allow you to log on. Once you’ve recovered what’s needed replace the OS with a current one. A Linux distribution will be grand and a recent browser should get a student through the effort required.

Good challenge and good luck, someone who doesn’t have a laptop, especially a school going student will really appreciate it.

Thank you ... that is a really helpful post! I will put linux on and give to the student, I think it might work ok for basic stuff.

Yes, the login screen shows "Administrator". I have tried all those simple passwords (and more!!). Uncle has also tried all his usual passwords but nothing works.

USB is also enabled.

I'll try the USB boot recovery disc suggestion. Is there anywhere you'd suggest getting a bit more guidance on this?

• Advertisement

Thank you ... that is a really helpful post! I will put linux on and give to the student, I think it might work ok for basic stuff.

Yes, the login screen shows "Administrator". I have tried all those simple passwords (and more!!). Uncle has also tried all his usual passwords but nothing works.

USB is also enabled.

I'll try the USB boot recovery disc suggestion. Is there anywhere you'd suggest getting a bit more guidance on this?

I thought you had something to retrieve of the old PC. You'll be lucky to find a linux distro light enough to run in that, how much RAM does that thing have? It's nearly 20 years old, is a dinosaur. My watch has many times more processing power, never mind my smartphone!

I thought you had something to retrieve of the old PC. You'll be lucky to find a linux distro light enough to run in that, how much RAM does that thing have? It's nearly 20 years old, is a dinosaur. My watch has many times more processing power, never mind my smartphone!

Yes, I would like to see what is on the computer just in case there is anything important, pictures etc.

I’m going to try to get it working as it may be better than nothing. At least it has a full keyboard and can probably access the internet and office documents. If it doesn’t work that’s ok but I’ll give it a try.

Yes, I would like to see what is on the computer just in case there is anything important, pictures etc.

I’m going to try to get it working as it may be better than nothing. At least it has a full keyboard and can probably access the internet and office documents. If it doesn’t work that’s ok but I’ll give it a try.

Internet? You're having a giraffe? I hope you still have dial up because it most likely only has a modem, no Ethernet port

Internet? You're having a giraffe? I hope you still have dial up because it most likely only has a modem, no Ethernet port

Thanks for your help and encouragement but I’m still going to try to get it unlocked at least to see what’s on it.

If it works and someone else can get benefit from the laptop that will be a bonus.

Did you have any suggestions about getting past the Win2000 password?

Thanks for your help and encouragement but I’m still going to try to get it unlocked at least to see what’s on it.

If it works and someone else can get benefit from the laptop that will be a bonus.

Yes, see my first post

• Advertisement

Yes, see my first post

Ah grand. CD drive not working so unfortunately your suggestion won’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

One of the best usb password recovery programs i have used with operating systems of that era is Lazesoft Recovery Suite https://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

cunavalos wrote: »
    One of the best usb password recovery programs i have used with operating systems of that era is Lazesoft Recovery Suite https://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

A PC of that generation won't boot from USB, the options will be floppy or CD

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is silly but...

A. Buy a new CD drive if you can find one
    B. Buy an adapter so you can reset the NT password using a 2nd pc. I guess it might be IDE (Was there another interface for 2.5" in that era?).

USB booting probably isnt an option.

ED E wrote: »
    This is silly but...

A. Buy a new CD drive if you can find one
    B. Buy an adapter so you can reset the NT password using a 2nd pc. I guess it might be IDE (Was there another interface for 2.5" in that era?).

USB booting probably isnt an option.

It was all IDE back then, master and slave set by the jumper

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Could you post the specific model number, so we can try and find out with the BIOS options are? (perhaps to turn on USB booting)

Spocker wrote: »
    Could you post the specific model number, so we can try and find out with the BIOS options are? (perhaps to turn on USB booting)

I think we were nearly on Windows Vista before booting from USB came about. XP was always from disk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I have a Thinkpad here (broken), T42 model from maybe 2005, WinXP label. Both drives are IDE. I doubt v much if yours would USB boot. I only got this one after it got stepped on. Free to anyone who wants spares or a doorstop.

T20

Thank all of you who have made suggestions. I really do appreciate it so, so much.

I have managed to get my hands on an external cd drive. I’m hoping that will work if I just plug it into the T20? Or will it need drivers to work?

And then I have to burn to cd and then boot from the cd. Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just pull the drive out, connect it to a pc and pull the files off it that you want. I can't see a 20 year old laptop, even with the most minimum of distros, being much use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Just pull the drive out, connect it to a pc and pull the files off it that you want. I can't see a 20 year old laptop, even with the most minimum of distros, being much use.

This. If it won't boot automatically from the external cd drive, taking the HDD out is probably the only option. If you just want to get files off the drive, that will be straight forward enough. If you really, really want to reuse the laptop you could delete the SAM hive from windows once you have the drive removed and connected to another machine, then reinsert the drive in the laptop and boot.

Follow these steps to delete the SAM hive:

At the command prompt, change to the \systemroot\System32\Config folder.

Enter ren sam sam.old to rename the SAM, or simply delete the file.

Restart the system.

At the Windows 2000 logon prompt, enter the Administrator account with no password.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

A laptop of that age would be both useless and worthless today even if in 100% working order.

You could buy one 2nd hand for €50 that would be twice a fast and have Wifi etc.

This one wouldn't be useful for anything whatsoever from a normal point of view, the hardware is just way too old.

T20
    Looks like the T20 can't boot from USB (only the T22 upwards), which means either a USB stick or drive connected by USB won't work
    You're better off doing this to be honest, to at least retrieve the data you want. Then bring whats left to your nearest WEEE centre for recycling. I have the right kinds of adaptors to read that drive, I'd be happy to do it for you for free, and put all the data on a USB stick for you, just send me a PM

I think we were nearly on Windows Vista before booting from USB came about. XP was always from disk
    Not quite, it's hardware dependant to be able to boot from USB, not software

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I meant the vista era

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It you want to be that exact about it it is based on the BIOS firmware, so it is in fact dependant on software and not hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Alas, nobody is going to benefit from a 20 year old laptop

Advertisement