Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrister advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

baalad wrote: »
    His behaviour is making me think he possibly did hence trying to coerce me into a guilty plea or else he genuinely was trying to help me out ?

Im equally surprised that my solicitor is absolutely useless. No communication, No explaining whats going on. If i call him i feel like i am bothering him as he always has an excuse to hang up! And he does not seem to have any interest in anything the guard said! Its as if he does not want to fall out with the guard.

Oh well. Sooner this mess is over the better!

offering a deal over charges in return for a guilty plea is not coercion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A prosecuting guard is never on your side. A guard offering a deal is doing it for his own benefit. Your solicitor will not be interested in the communication from the guard unless it can be used to crash the case against you. That won't be known until you have the disclosure of the evidence. At that point you may be able to make a call on whether to plead or fight the case.
    Even if there is a second charge the guard may well agree to drop it if you do agree to plead guilty before the full hearing.
    There is no point in meeting a barrister until you have disclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

offering a deal over charges in return for a guilty plea is not coercion.

Really?

My perspective is that he seemed desperate for me to show up and plead guilty for some reason and i may have it wrong but my only thinking for this would be that maybe he has messed something up that he does not want being brought up in court!

I would have thought that a guard meeting with you and trying to sway you towards a guilty plea was coercion.

Could it be argued that the false information received by him impacted my statement also! Its insane the amount of times he has contradicted himself and given me false info regarding the consequences!

Really?

My perspective is that he seemed desperate for me to show up and plead guilty for some reason and i may have it wrong but my only thinking for this would be that maybe he has messed something up that he does not want being brought up in court!

I would have thought that a guard meeting with you and trying to sway you towards a guilty plea was coercion.

Could it be argued that the false information received by him impacted my statement also! Its insane the amount of times he has contradicted himself and given me false info regarding the consequences!

yes, really.

Really?

There could well be an argument that any admissions you made were not freely given but were obtained by misrepresentation or duress.

• Advertisement

There could well be an argument that any admissions you made were not freely given but were obtained by misrepresentation or duress.

they weren't made under caution so they wouldn't be admitted anyway.

Really?

What statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Have they not brought in direct access to barristers in Ireland yet?

Have they not brought in direct access to barristers in Ireland yet?

They have. For solicitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

They have. For solicitors!

I thought it was self evident but I meant for the public...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement