Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Consumer Issues Megathread

Options
  • 15-01-2021 8:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are vast numbers of threads being created for basically the same issues.

This thread is for all Brexit related Consumer Issues - with the exception of Amazon for which we have a specific thread due to their scale.

For Online Buying or Courier related queries or problems, please see those forums - and look for an existing thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

That's fine, but I would think a sub-forum for all Brexit-related issues might be better, rather than trawling through a thread. Just a thought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's fine, but I would think a sub-forum for all Brexit-related issues might be better, rather than trawling through a thread. Just a thought.

Forum Requests is here, but I think its been rejected before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

L1011 wrote: »
    Forum Requests is here, but I think its been rejected before.

Given that this is such a hot topic and will be for some time to come, I would think it's much better to have a sub forum, and cannot understand why it was rejected. Madness. I will make the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Actually I think either a forum/megathread for this is a good idea. I'll crosspost here what I put in the closed thread, which I posted just for information purposes really about nearly getting caught out.
    I was ALMOST caught by https://www.marksandspencer.com . On that site, they advertise euro prices and an Irish flag, so you think you are getting the package from a local M&S store. You don't. It arrives with a customs declaration, shipped from the UK.

VAT, I BELIEVE is correct on my order, they cite a vat adjustment when you order something of medium price. It is quite difficult to search for something less than the VAT limit on M&S, or at least to find something that isn't on sale offer below the VAT threshold (until the July switchover).

However, if you order, say, 4 dressing gowns at €40 each, they do not charge you a customs deposit like, say, Amazon. This means you could get a nasty surprise when your package comes into the country because you believe you are ordering from an Irish website.

Anyone got any other examples of websites that you could easily get caught out using now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Importing from Britain 2021.

I have identified an item in Cambridge that I want to purchase and have sent here via AddressPal, but is it worth even considering doing this anymore?

It's about the size & weight of a Skybox, valued at £65 GBP online, not including postage. So last year it was quite straightforward, convert to Euro and pay a few squids to AddressPal when it lands here, and thst was it.

What happens now, and what extra charges are there now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You can do it but you will still have to pay any VAT or duty owed. You just have to work out if that is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So, just the Irish vat which is added on arrival into this Country.

Is it 21% VAT?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

21% til the end of next month, 23% after unless that cut is extended. There will also be a processing fee which I believe is 3.50 on top of the normal AP fees.

Second hand and on-sale items seem to frequently be hit with a valuation of new/full price if there isn't an obvious receipt, so be aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I made a purchase on 1st December from the UK, but I'm getting the item exchanged and it will be arriving in a week or two.

As the purchase was made pre-Brexit, I'm assuming no customs would be due on the item as it's an exchange rather than a new purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have some car parts that I need to get refurbished in the UK, What is the Duty/Tax/Vat implication of this,

They are my own parts so the should have 0 commerical value but are worth a bit if I had to replace them,

And they need to get back in as well,

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I have some car parts that I need to get refurbished in the UK, What is the Duty/Tax/Vat implication of this,

They are my own parts so the should have 0 commerical value but are worth a bit if I had to replace them,

And they need to get back in as well,

Thanks

Look up on the revenue's site "temporary export".

Make sure you get the export clearance MRN number from the carrier if they are a high value as you will need this to give to the clearance agent when being cleared back into the country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Thanks but I think that is for larger items than I am dealing with,

These items could fit into a jiffy bag, would be worth 150E max

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The way it used to be done was to give an invoice to the courier for the export leg, and get paperwork back from the shipper stating the repair/refurbishment value, which you may have to pay charges on.You will pay on the return leg freight charge as well. Better off checking with revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Am in the same boat, it looks like, yes, we will be liable to pay. Orders that were purchased and made in December which have not been fulfilled by the 1st of January for whatever reason are also being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Am in the same boat, it looks like, yes, we will be liable to pay. Orders that were purchased and made in December which have not been fulfilled by the 1st of January for whatever reason are also being charged.

ok thanks... I'll qualify this with the supplier as they were slow getting back to me and initiating the exchange, when it should really have been completed in December

i.e. I'll ask them to pay for any duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

mrcheez wrote: »
    ok thanks... I'll qualify this with the supplier as they were slow getting back to me and initiating the exchange, when it should really have been completed in December

i.e. I'll ask them to pay for any duty

There won't be any duty. So don't ask as they'll tell you the same.

There may be vat.

They need to put "replacement goods" on the cn22 form with a value under €22 and that should arrive to you vat free

Merged to megathread

I'm going to send them an email, but M&S customs declarations are, I think, wrong.

€70 value displayed on the package, but they had the total written as £70. Wrong.

I didn't pay €70 for the items, they were 20% off, which made the cost about €50. No problem, but if they'd have been worth €160 initially and a discount brought them to €140, and thats what I'd have paid, I'd have been incorrectly hit with customs charges.

The receipt inside the package was correct, but the customs declarations wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Hi,

I'm buying goods from a UK website amounting to 2.7k pounds including shipping.

I was told I'd be liable for other customs and VAT? Is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yes you will pay Irish vat, ask them to remove the UK vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yeah some companies don't have a clue. Make sure the UK VAT is removed before paying.

Stay Free

You'll also pay customs duty when it enters the country and an administration fee for the courier to process everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Is vat also applied to antiques shipped from the UK. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

hammerdub wrote: »
    Is vat also applied to antiques shipped from the UK. ?

Yes, minimum 13.5%.

You'll get the exact details on the Revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You'll also pay customs duty when it enters the country and an administration fee for the courier to process everything.

Depends on what the goods are and where they were manufactured.

If made in the UK, or EU or certain "favoured nations" zero duty will be due.

But op does need to find out the taric code and country of origin and check what duty rate applies.

But vat on cost + delivery cost and customs entry fee will definitely be due.

Absolutely... but I think sadly you'll find that getting the Taric code and country of origin is an enormous hassle for the average person to do.

Absolutely... but I think sadly you'll find that getting the Taric code and country of origin is an enormous hassle for the average person to do.

For items under €700 and sold to a consumer, a 2.5% duty can be opted for. So that makes it easier for most consumers

A £2,700 purchase will need full import paperwork and the seller will have the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

I am buying from a retiailer so paper work will be provided. Retailer has confirmed no UK VAT will be added. I'm just trying to see how much more it'll cost me i.e 25% of 2,700pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

I've just bought a pair of boots from the U.K. and paid Irish VAT through DPD. Unfortunately, they are too big - if I want to send them back and exchange them, will I have to pay VAT on this pair as well? Cheers.

• Advertisement

ebayissues wrote: »
    I am buying from a retiailer so paper work will be provided. Retailer has confirmed no UK VAT will be added. I'm just trying to see how much more it'll cost me i.e 25% of 2,700pounds

€50 clearance paperwork, 21% vat on item incl delivery charge.

Possible duty depending on product and country of origin. If UK made, no duty.

Advertisement