Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning charge

Options
  • 15-01-2021 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Tenant moved out of our apartment recently.

While the apartment was left generally clean, they didn't:

Clear out, clean and defrost either the fridge or freezer
    Clean the inside of the microwave
    Ensure all the kitchen cabinets were empty of food

I told them that I am making a 100 euro deduction from the deposit for a cleaning charge.

I think it reasonable enough particlaurly as I had told them in writing a month ago that I expected to get the apartment back in the condition it was received, and specifically mentioned that if I had to do any significant cleaning there would be a charge - I'm ignoring a few wear and tear items.

They are now objecting that it is too much and offering to come back and do the cleaning - too late, it's already been done and they had their chance to do the cleaning properly already!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will need s receipt for that so you would need to use a registered contract cleaning company.

The tenant is fully entitled to their deposit otherwise.

Take photos and a walk through video before it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

If they take you to the PRTB you would have to Invoices for the cleaning from a registered company to justify your position, i.e. you can't pay yourself to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭newmember2

€50 charge and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

100 euro a bit much to defrost a fridge and clean a microwave. Don't know you at all but it's coming across more that, you're annoyed at them and doing this to teach them a lesson for not listening to you.
    I would just drop it and give them back the 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

You'd pay 100 euro to a cleaner for about 6 hours of work. While annoying, surely it didn't take you 6h to clean it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

My cleaner does 3 hours for less than €50. How on earth is that a €100 charge?

Rezident wrote: »

With receipt and tax compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

CiboC wrote: »
    I told them that I am making a 100 euro deduction from the deposit for a cleaning charge.

That is fine as long as you have the €100 invoice from the cleaning company you hired to perform the work (and you really should consider using a different company, as yours is ripping you off something fierce...).

You cannot deduct from the deposit for your own time and labour, so if you did the cleaning yourself, you could only deduct for the cost of materials, and I suspect you'll have a very difficult time convincing the RTB that a bin bag for the leftover food and a rag and a bit of cleaner to scrub the microwave cost you €100, so if that's your plan, you're going to lose the case when the tenant brings a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

OP here, thanks for the replies everyone.
    jface187 wrote: »
    Don't know you at all but it's coming across more that, you're annoyed at them

I was pretty annoyed, I had specifically told them 4 weeks prior to their moving out that any excessive cleaning required would be charged, I even mentioned the oven and the fridge. Furthermore I told them on the day they were moving that that had left the fridge and freezer in an unacceptable condition but it was only 3 days later when I told them about a cleaning charge that there was any offer to come and clean properly, by which time I had already arranged to have it done.

Nevertheless, I have decided to reduce the charge to 50 euro.
    dennyk wrote: »
    You cannot deduct from the deposit for your own time and labour, so if you did the cleaning yourself, you could only deduct for the cost of materials

Please back this up with a reference to relevent legislation or a reference to a RTB case, otherwise it's just a random opinion.

If I had done it myself, why would my time and effort be valued at nothing?

The RTB specifically mention:

- Leaving litter or personal items in the property.
    - Leaving the property in an unhygienic or unsafe condition.
    - Not returning the property in a clean manner.

As being some of the reasons why part of a deposit may be withheld (https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits)

I was pretty annoyed, I had specifically told them 4 weeks prior to their moving out that any excessive cleaning required would be charged, I even mentioned the oven and the fridge. Furthermore I told them on the day they were moving that that had left the fridge and freezer in an unacceptable condition but it was only 3 days later when I told them about a cleaning charge that there was any offer to come and clean properly, by which time I had already arranged to have it done.

Please back this up with a reference to relevent legislation or a reference to a RTB case, otherwise it's just a random opinion.

As being some of the reasons why part of a deposit may be withheld (https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits)

You must be able to provide a receipt, the whole idea is so there is a paper trail ...

You could say it cost €200 say and it only cost €20 in products and an hour or 2 or a vacuum....
    It's to put off LL of ripping tenant's off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

You clearly dont know the rules then based on what you said. Most tenants wont bother raising a dispute for 50e but if someone wanted to do it on principle, they would be entitled to everything back.

Have you ever been involved in RTB disputes. They require evidence to highlight what is the issue and evidence that you spent x amount on repairs,cleaning etc. If you cant provide this which you cant unless you have your own cleaning coming then you are just pulling a random figure and saying i will deduct this amount. Do you not see how this can be abused which is exactly why if you look up deposit disputes you will see several cases where a ll lost because of a lack of documentation.

Similar to what you said, your opinion is random and not fact. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim. I have been involved in disputes so i am fully aware of what i need to do to cover myself. In a similar vain, from a tax POV, your time and effort in managing a property is worth nothing. Its the exact same here. Next time this happens to you, bill someone to clean up the place for you to most importantly protect yourself. Your not spending your money as its coming out of the deposit so make sure to do it by the book. Now days, any time i have to keep money on a deposit, i always email the tenant the receipts just so they know where the money is being deducted from so both sides can be transparent and hopefully avoid any disputes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Welcome to the world of being a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Id take this one on the chin, they are leaving and generally left the place clean, what you have described is not a big deal,

if you are still a landlord and dont know how bad it can get, start reading some threads, no offence,
    but this is trivial, be glad you werent bilked for thousands, seems like they arent too bad

You have been unreasonable and make good landlords look bad and give them a bad name, they even offered to come back.
    I had to clear a back garden out of black bin liners, it filled 2 canvas skips and it stank, there was broken beer bottles in the garden and sour milk in bloated plastic cartons, the tenant told me they would come around to help, but never arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You'll need a receipt for the cleaning, your time ain't deductible. More importantly, you will need to justify the cleaning charge. A microwave that needed a wipe down won't fly with the rtb, they are heavily biased towards the tenant.

Any deductions for normal wear and tear will result in you paying them back plus more if the tenant takes you to the RTB. You are pretty much expected to pay for cleaning yourself between tenants.

Finally, that you didn't allow them to make good on the issues will also cause the RTB to find in their favour.

Agreed

Unfortunately the search function on the RTB website is so useless now, I gave up after a few minutes looking for an example to demonstrate why it might be sensible just to return the full deposit (making this post just another random opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vangoghslow

Just give the Microwave a clean and throw the stuff in a rubbish bag. You would have had it done in the time it took you to write a message on boards.

I can't help but think the OPs expectations are a little unrealistic here.

At the end of a tenancy I would expect there to be a certain amount of cleaning, touching up, maybe even the odd bit of redecorating or furniture to be replaced. Nothing major of course.

Any landlord that expects a recently vacated property to be left in new-letting ready condition is just kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Graham wrote: »
    I can't help but think the OPs expectations are a little unrealistic here.

At the end of a tenancy I would expect there to be a certain amount of cleaning, touching up, maybe even the odd bit of redecorating or furniture to be replaced. Nothing major of course.

Any landlord that expects a recently vacated property to be left in new-letting ready condition is just kidding themselves.

Totally agree with this, just give back the deposit and don't be petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rezident wrote: »

Is your cleaner VAT registered? Do you use them regularly? 1 of cleaners cost more.

OP unless you Osi’s someone you can’t deduct costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Maybe you should invest in a frost free fridge/freezer

• Advertisement

Maybe you should invest in a frost free fridge/freezer

Thanks. That reminds me, I need to defrost our frost free fridge/freezer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

OP you are correct in your reasoning that things like the microwave and cooker should be cleaned upon termination of the tenancy.

But that's the ideal utopian scenario.

If you ever get a property back that is thousands in rent arrears, needs thousands in repairs and two skips to remove the rubbish left behind, then you too will smile at the naivety of expecting that leaving appliances dirty and a shopping bag of food is worth fighting over €100.

Unless you have out of genuine out of pocket verifiable receipts for work done, just thank your lucky stars and refund the deposit, It is just not worth your time and effort defending a RTB case out of principle for such a small sum.

You may think that they have "won" but trust me defend it and you will be the one that has lost. Your time and peace of mind is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Would a newly vacated property not need a good cleaning anyway before renting it out again?

I would have expected that even if the house was left in spotless condition by the previous tenants that the place would still be cleaned by the landlord. At the very least things such as a fridge, microwave, oven, shower, dishwasher, cookware etc would be cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

If you rent abroad there will be a cleaning charge its an irish thing the years of mom and pop LLs is changing so get used to it

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Would a newly vacated property not need a good cleaning anyway before renting it out again?

I would have expected that even if the house was left in spotless condition by the previous tenants that the place would still be cleaned by the landlord. At the very least things such as a fridge, microwave, oven, shower, dishwasher, cookware etc would be cleaned?

In terms of cleanliness. It should be given back to the ll in the same state they gave it to the tenants in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

OP, you're way out of line here and you're giving good landlords a bad name with your carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Fol20 wrote: »
    In terms of cleanliness. It should be given back to the ll in the same state they gave it to the tenants in.

can someone post about how that works in other countries? it can't be only the UK & Ireland that has these issues.

I've read that other countries do not rent accommodation furnished and property must be returned freshly painted and ready for new tenants. So how does it work?

Do other countries have stricter rules for tenants & how do landlords make sure rent is paid and then the property is returned in good condition. It seems to be an on going issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Just give the Microwave a clean and throw the stuff in a rubbish bag. You would have had it done in the time it took you to write a message on boards.

This, talk about nitpicking. Sounds like an hours work max, just get it done. If the tenant left the whole place like a tip the OP would have something to complain about.

MacDanger wrote: »
    OP, you're way out of line here and you're giving good landlords a bad name with your carry on

That’s a bit strong now. I wouldn’t say he is giving ll a bad name as it’s a cost that would have been born by the tenant in any case. He just going about it in the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

MacDanger wrote: »

The only thing the op did wrong was not getting a receipt and doing it themselves. It's the tenant that is wrong here. Obviously it's the milder end of wrong but still wrong

Advertisement