Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-Living Developments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

So seems like the assumption of those who oppose is that they can't be anything but a tenement/glorified bedsit (which is assumed to always be a bad thing)

If there are minimum standards applied (as would exist due to building standards and in any tenancy arrangement currently) - then I don't think those concerns would be valid and in my view it's a real shame these are being opposed. Younger me would very likely have opted for something like this for a few years for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Once they were done with proper standards in place Co-Living option is definitely a good thing.
    The problem is that the ones building/renting these out do so at ridiculous prices. It should be no more expensive than a rent a room option.

In theory:
    Lot's of people that house share have the option of doing so in Co-Living and the house can be used for families.
    It gets more people at a cheaper price in close proximity to where they work/business hubs
    A younger cohort get access to an area they couldn't afford on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They should be let go ahead, and if they are so undesirable, then no one will move into them and they will fail.
    If people do move into them, the it will free up the space they previously occupied.

I lived in some of these type places in Japan. They are ok for a week but any longer would drive you mad.

In the Irish situation though, I see them all becoming hostels rented from the developer by the state.
    One you get a critical mass of hostel type guests noone else will want to live in them so then it will be just the state renting them fully like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone have a list of of current co living developments in capital and Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Google would have been quicker for ya than asking the question here...

https://coliving.com/dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Once upon a time, up until 4 years ago, I lived on my own, in a quasi bedsit (less than 25 sq m, seperate bedroom) and ate breakfast and lunch in the canteen at work. After work I drank many pints... For the privilege I paid about 600eur a month in a lovely part of Dublin less than a mile from the Royal Canal.

The point I'm making is that co-living, as it stands, is a complete obscenity.

Google would have been quicker for ya than asking the question here...

https://coliving.com/dublin

I tried that, the search filter for Dublin isn't functional unless I'm missing something.

Once upon a time, up until 4 years ago, I lived on my own, in a quasi bedsit (less than 25 sq m, seperate bedroom) and ate breakfast and lunch in the canteen at work. After work I drank many pints... For the privilege I paid about 600eur a month in a lovely part of Dublin less than a mile from the Royal Canal.

The point I'm making is that co-living, as it stands, is a complete obscenity.

From looking online, from stock that is currently available ( I make it three) I'd tend to agree, cheapest going rate with LiveX seems to be €900, then there's Node with cheapest offering at €1,300 pp, which is quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't get the opposition either. I'm aware they have been "banned" now, although any that got permission before the ban are allowed to go ahead anyway. I don't see the point in the ban really. Seems to me that if they are so terrible, people won't stay in them. As bad as the housing market is right now for rentals, for the price they're usually advertised at, you really won't have a hard time finding alternatives in Dublin. I'd have no interest in them in my current situation, but I could see the appeal as a short-term option if I was a single person working or studying in a new city where I didn't know anybody to share with. Certainly, I'd prefer it to living with 3 complete strangers in a family home in the suburbs.

Seems like some people just can't fathom different lifestyles or wants to their own. Every time these is discussed everyone just calls them tenements as if the expected audience is an impoverished family of 5 getting crammed into a 1-bedroom unit without a kitchen, rather than a young professional or student who doesn't really care about needing to cook and is happy to eat out in the city. I knew plenty in college who had an oven in their apartment or campus accomodation that was never used for more than a frozen pizza, and even years later I still know single adults who wouldn't even use their cooker on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In some cases yes, but is any developments like that here?

Have a look at Abode Co Living Killarney.

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »
    I don't get the opposition either. I'm aware they have been "banned" now, although any that got permission before the ban are allowed to go ahead anyway. I don't see the point in the ban really. Seems to me that if they are so terrible, people won't stay in them. As bad as the housing market is right now for rentals, for the price they're usually advertised at, you really won't have a hard time finding alternatives in Dublin. I'd have no interest in them in my current situation, but I could see the appeal as a short-term option if I was a single person working or studying in a new city where I didn't know anybody to share with. Certainly, I'd prefer it to living with 3 complete strangers in a family home in the suburbs.

Seems like some people just can't fathom different lifestyles or wants to their own. Every time these is discussed everyone just calls them tenements as if the expected audience is an impoverished family of 5 getting crammed into a 1-bedroom unit without a kitchen, rather than a young professional or student who doesn't really care about needing to cook and is happy to eat out in the city. I knew plenty in college who had an oven in their apartment or campus accomodation that was never used for more than a frozen pizza, and even years later I still know single adults who wouldn't even use their cooker on a weekly basis.

Excellent response. In past threads I have been told just that; then I mentioned the Abode Co Living in Killarney ..

( sorry; cannot post links ) cost is reasonable. see separate page_
    a
    It is personal choice.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Excellent response. In past threads I have been told just that; then I mentioned the Abode Co Living in Killarney ..

( sorry; cannot post links ) cost is reasonable. see separate page_
    a
    It is personal choice.

I can't see any prices on their website, but the place looks reasonably nice. The ones I have seen in Dublin have generally been priced lower than a 1-bedroom apartment though, but generally higher than a room in a shared house. Normally somewhere in the range of €900-1300.

What I will say is that in my first year of uni, I stayed in digs in a big old house with 3 other students, that probably wasn't a million miles off that in terms of pricing adjusted for inflation. I got a decent sized bedroom, but I didn't have access to any kitchen facilities (dinner was provided, but I couldn't keep my own food in the kitchen or have any appliances in my room), the bathroom was shared, and the place was freezing in winter. I also didn't have any access to it at the weekend. I could have one friend visit at a time, but no overnight stays. It wasn't great but I didn't feel hard done by for staying there, because it worked for me at the time and I was happy just to be able to live close to the university instead of spending 3-4 hours on public transport each day getting in and out of Dublin.

If I could have taken one of these co-living things instead, I probably would have jumped at the opportunity. They're far more appealing and beneficial in comparison. More privacy, more facilities, more freedom to come and go as you want, etc. I'd probably even take one over sharing a campus accomodation with 3-4 strangers who were almost certainly going to be pretty messy. But nobody ever wants to ban the "inhumane" living conditions of digs, or student residences, or house-shares which really have all of the same downsides. Presumably because it's intrinsically understood that the people living there are not looking for the same thing, but for some reason, that understanding does not extend to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

. But nobody ever wants to ban the "inhumane" living conditions of digs, or student residences, or house-shares which really have all of the same downsides. Presumably because it's intrinsically understood that the people living there are not looking for the same thing, but for some reason, that understanding does not extend to these.

There are standards for house-shares. Digs are very much a minority area where someone is accommodated in the owners home.
    The big difference is that at some point the house share is in a house which can be occupied at some point by a family. The big co-living schemes are buildings constructed for such which don't lend themselves to re-purposing.

There are standards for house-shares. Digs are very much a minority area where someone is accommodated in the owners home.
    The big difference is that at some point the house share is in a house which can be occupied at some point by a family. The big co-living schemes are buildings constructed for such which don't lend themselves to re-purposing.

There are standards for co-living too, this isn't some kind of unregulated wild west market. They're obviously different, but they exist, and I'd say they're probably more regulated than house-share situations, which in my experience basically always operate on an informal honour system. If they're currently insufficient to provide for the safety of people living in them, then it would seem that the most logical solution should be to improve the standards, not ban the whole thing. Digs might be a minority, but so is co-living, so I don't really see your point.

Why do they need to be repurposed at some point? Is there some deadline we have where we will run out of young or single people who don't need or want a full house to raise a family in?

At any given point in time, a very large portion of the population are not living as a nuclear family unit, especially in urban areas. So why should every single dwelling have to be built specifically to accomodate a nuclear family?

I can't see any prices on their website, but the place looks reasonably nice. The ones I have seen in Dublin have generally been priced lower than a 1-bedroom apartment though, but generally higher than a room in a shared house. Normally somewhere in the range of €900-1300.

google it? I was surprised at how little it costs.

Advertisement