Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Setting up a PRSA - best way to fund it?

• 15-01-2021 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭ JackieChang

I'm thinking of setting up a PRSA with Davy.

As far as I know, they are the only PRSA that has its own trading platform and you can pick your own shares, correct?

And what's the best way to fund it? Should I get my employer to take it out of my salary, or fund it myself?

Are the tax implications the same whichever way I do it?

Is it more hassle funding it myself?

They wouldn't answer these questions on the phone as it's "tax advice".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭ Andrea B.

Not answering your question, but are they only ones that you can direct your PRSA to stocks?
    I have 3 seperate PRSA's and looking to get sorted out.
    I would like however to look at options (if poss) of one to be allocated to shares in 1 specific company, until i retire hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭ colm_c

Same tax benefit whether you do it yourself or via employer.

Only difference is the tax credits are 50% credits l, 50% increase to your band, over the tax year.

Easiest way is via your employer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭ colm_c

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Not answering your question, but are they only ones that you can direct your PRSA to stocks?
    I have 3 seperate PRSA's and looking to get sorted out.
    I would like however to look at options (if poss) of one to be allocated to shares in 1 specific company, until i retire hopefully.

If the company trades on the stock exchange, then yes you can do it with Davy.

Not sure I would recommend having your entire PRSA allocated to shares in a single stock. High risk IMO.

Balanced portfolio of stocks and funds is a more typical setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭ Andrea B.

colm_c wrote: »
    If the company trades on the stock exchange, then yes you can do it with Davy.

Not sure I would recommend having your entire PRSA allocated to shares in a single stock. High risk IMO.

Balanced portfolio of stocks and funds is a more typical setup.

Thanks.
    I was not clear, it would be 30% of complete portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Deub

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I was not clear, it would be 30% of complete portfolio.

IMO it is still a lot. If, for any reason, the company doesn't do well, are you ok to only get 70% of your PRSA?

• Advertisement
Advertisement