Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

https://www.thejournal.ie/heatwave-hits-nordic-countries-arctic-5486665-Jul2021/

Heatwaves and record temps in the Arctic. I mean this isn't looking good to me, when even Journal commentators seem to be coming around to thinking climate change is real.

The seas are being over fished, insects are dropping like flies, agricultural land has maybe 100 years left before the soil is totally degraded. It’s much worse then climate change what we’re seeing now is split second before a Chuck Norris round house kick to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

https://www.thejournal.ie/heatwave-hits-nordic-countries-arctic-5486665-Jul2021/

Heatwaves and record temps in the Arctic. I mean this isn't looking good to me, when even Journal commentators seem to be coming around to thinking climate change is real.

Brilliant reporting there. No contradictions whatsoever.

The Journal now trying to cash in on the climate panic, and doing so miserably.
    METEOROLOGISTS ACROSS THE Nordic countries have registered near-record temperatures over the weekend, including highs of 34 degrees Celsius in some places, news agencies reported.

The latest figures came after Finland’s national meteorological institute registered its hottest temperature for June since records began in 1844.

Kevo, at the far north of Finland (marked on the image above), recorded heat of 33.5 degrees Celsius yesterday, the hottest since 1914 when authorities registered 34.7 degrees Celsius, said the STT agency.

So still more than a degree less than the record set 107 years ago? What's the big deal here?
    And Norway’s meteorological institute registered 34 degrees Celsius in Saltdal, a county near the Polar Circle.

That is the highest temperature measured in the country this year, and just 1.6 degrees Celsius short of Norway’s all-time record.

Well holy shít, the warmest day of the year. Very strange for early July. And still below the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So still more than a degree less than the record set 107 years ago? What's the big deal here?

Well holy shít, the warmest day of the year. Very strange for early July. And still below the record.

So what do you think is behind the climate scam then? Why would scientists want to push an agenda that isn't real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

To be fair the article says there's a heat wave with near record breaking temperatures and that "The latest figures came after Finland’s national meteorological institute registered its hottest temperature for June since records began in 1844."

I don't see what panic or cashing in the journal are doing with that article or any contradictions. Just reporting that there's heatwave in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

They do effect the laws/legislation and if you bothered your arse to even watch the clips from channel 4 news I posted last week you would have seen that exonmobil have been lobbying senators to obstruct the climate change policies joe Biden is trying to bring and pay people like tony heller to put out fake news.

I present to you your 'climate hero'.

Biden administration proceeding with $23 billion weapon sales to UAE

"The $23.37 billion package contained products from General Atomics, Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N) and Raytheon Technologies Corp (RTX.N), including 50 F-35 Lighting II aircraft, up to 18 MQ-9B Unmanned Aerial Systems and a package of air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions".
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/exclusive-biden-administration-proceeding-with-23-billion-weapon-sales-uae-2021-04-13/

Biden's Lawless Bombing of Iraq and Syria Only Serves the Weapons Industry Funding Both Parties
    "Indeed, anyone invested in endless war in the Middle East — including the entire U.S. intelligence community and the weapons industry which feeds off of it — must be thrilled by all of this. Each time the U.S. "retaliates” against Iran or Iraqi militias or Syrian fighters, it causes them to "retaliate” back, which in turn is cited as the reason the U.S. can never leave but must instead keep retaliating, ensuring this cycle never ends. It also creates a never-ending supply of angry people in that region who hate the U.S. for bringing death and destruction to their countries with bombs that never stop falling and therefore want to strike back: what we are all supposed to call "terrorism.” That is what endless war means: a war that is designed never to terminate, one that is as far removed as possible from actual matters of self-defense and manufactures its own internal rationale to continue it".
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/bidens-lawless-bombing-of-iraq-and

You actually think that these psychos care about you, or the environment or climate change?

They are laughing in your face.

New Moon

• Advertisement

So what do you think is behind the climate scam then? Why would scientists want to push an agenda that isn't real?

What has this loaded question got to do with GL's response?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I just dont get why people get so hostile towards people who believe what most scientists are saying on boards.

I just dont get why people get so hostile towards people who believe what most scientists are saying on boards.

Fair enough, but GL was taking a swipe at yet another example of media disinformation, not scientists.

New Moon

All I was saying is that the Journal made a whole big deal out of some warm temperatures in a region that gets them most years. Saying that X is the warmest day of the year...I mean, how is that newsworthy? Somewhere else got hot but not as hot as it did in 1914. Did they not have a big enough wordcount and felt the need to pad the article with waffle like that?

I didn't see any mention of places that were cooler at the same time. What goes up must come down. No, that wouldn't be of interest at all.

I don't think we have many climate scientist saying anything on Boards...but I get what you mean.

My point was about the report.

• Advertisement

I don't think we have many climate scientist saying anything on Boards...but I get what you mean.

My point was about the report.

Yeah discussions on this matter always get so heated (excuse the pun) there's no need for it really. I get what you're saying about the report but with the Canadian temps lately and seeing this today it's bound to spook the lay person like myself. My opinion on climate change is that even if it turns out not to be influenced by man, the way we are treating the environment can only lead to global disaster anyway, so we have to change one way or another.

From the Journal.ie article above it's interesting that the Swedish demon girl Greta chose to cherrypick the last three years of June temperatures and make the statement below. Had she chosen to go further back to 2018, 17, 16, 15, etc. she would see that Sweden was well below the longterm average for many years in the past 17 years. This link shows the June anomalies back to 2004.

Of course nobody will pull her up on that.
    Several parts of Sweden also reported record highs for last month.

“June 2021 was the hottest June ever recorded in my hometown Stockholm by a large margin,” climate campaigner Greta Thunberg tweeted.

“The second hottest June was in 2020. The third in 2019,” she added.

Am I sensing a pattern here? Nah, probably just another coincidence.
    At a national level, June 2021 was the third-hottest ever recorded in Sweden.

Yeah discussions on this matter always get so heated (excuse the pun) there's no need for it really. I get what you're saying about the report but with the Canadian temps lately and seeing this today it's bound designed to spook the lay person like myself. My opinion on climate change is that even if it turns out not to be influenced by man, the way we are treating the environment can only lead to global disaster anyway, so we have to change one way or another.

Fixed your post.

From the Journal.ie article above it's interesting that the Swedish demon girl Greta chose to cherrypick the last three years of June temperatures and make the statement below. Had she chosen to go further back to 2018, 17, 16, 15, etc. she would see that Sweden was well below the longterm average for many years in the past 17 years. This link shows the June anomalies back to 2004.

How dare she play your game !

I present to you your 'climate hero'.

Biden administration proceeding with $23 billion weapon sales to UAE

"The $23.37 billion package contained products from General Atomics, Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N) and Raytheon Technologies Corp (RTX.N), including 50 F-35 Lighting II aircraft, up to 18 MQ-9B Unmanned Aerial Systems and a package of air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions".
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/exclusive-biden-administration-proceeding-with-23-billion-weapon-sales-uae-2021-04-13/

Biden's Lawless Bombing of Iraq and Syria Only Serves the Weapons Industry Funding Both Parties
    "Indeed, anyone invested in endless war in the Middle East — including the entire U.S. intelligence community and the weapons industry which feeds off of it — must be thrilled by all of this. Each time the U.S. "retaliates” against Iran or Iraqi militias or Syrian fighters, it causes them to "retaliate” back, which in turn is cited as the reason the U.S. can never leave but must instead keep retaliating, ensuring this cycle never ends. It also creates a never-ending supply of angry people in that region who hate the U.S. for bringing death and destruction to their countries with bombs that never stop falling and therefore want to strike back: what we are all supposed to call "terrorism.” That is what endless war means: a war that is designed never to terminate, one that is as far removed as possible from actual matters of self-defense and manufactures its own internal rationale to continue it".
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/bidens-lawless-bombing-of-iraq-and

You actually think that these psychos care about you, or the environment or climate change?

They are laughing in your face.

What is the context for this?

I refer to a previous statement of mine,
    SOP on this forum amongst the "deniers" is to deflect, obfuscate, flipflop, spoof and gaslight.

Fixed your post.

I refer to a previous statement of mine:
    SOP on this forum amongst the "deniers" is to deflect, obfuscate, flipflop, spoof and gaslight.

I refer to a previous statement of mine:

"What is the context for this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the 'misinformation' line is just a bit overused to be honest, and particular from people with an agenda like yourself and it is the mark of hubris to believe that 'your side' are the sole gate keepers of all that is good and true. We see actual mis (and dis) information everyday from the press (which has a far bigger influence on the general public) regarding the climate change issue and I have yet to see you call them out. Why would that be?

Anyway, I found this interview by Michael Moore in which he address some of the criticism from the usual suspects. I haven't watched it yet but will later. In the meantime, it may be of interest to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bop8x24G_o0

So your rebuttal to a very specific point that I went through the trouble of presenting with evidence to support it, is to accuse me of having ‘hubris’ and post a link to a YouTube video that you didn’t even bother to watch

You’re not worth the effort. I’m not engaging with you anymore

There is no contradiction between being the hottest temperature in June on record, and not beating the overall hottest ever temperature

June is not usually the hottest month of the year

• Advertisement

Don’t be ridiculous. The 3 hottest years on record happening in a row one after another is noteworthy. It’s very different to being just warmer or cooler than average over a 17 year period
    And I bet you that even the coldest year in that 14 year period was warmer than the 20th century average if this was just a statistical anomaly then it should be about a 50 50 chance that 2022 will see a cooler than average temperature. I bet you a hundred euros 2022 won’t be below the 30 year rolling average temperature for Sweden

What is your agenda Gaoth?

Akrasia wrote: »
    Don’t be ridiculous. The 3 hottest years on record happening in a row one after another is noteworthy. It’s very different to being just warmer or cooler than average over a 17 year period
    And I bet you that even the coldest year in that 14 year period was warmer than the 20th century average if this was just a statistical anomaly then it should be about a 50 50 chance that 2022 will see a cooler than average temperature. I bet you a hundred euros 2022 won’t be below the 30 year rolling average temperature for Sweden

What is your agenda Gaoth?

Did she mention that the past few Mays have been colder than average? Nope.

tmp_avv2105_2105.png

tmp_avv2005_2005.png

So your rebuttal to a very specific point that I went through the trouble of presenting with evidence to support it, is to accuse me of having ‘hubris’ and post a link to a YouTube video that you didn’t even bother to watch

You’re not worth the effort. I’m not engaging with you anymore

And I posted Moore's response to your 'rebuttals'. I am not the one criticising his doc, you are, so you could at least listen to what he has to say.. or would that be too uncomfortable for you? You might actually find yourself surprised at how much his thinking aligns with your own.

It is hubris to assume that you are the sole truth and that all else is 'misinformation'. Sorry, but you, the media, science and politics do not have that exclusive ownership. By they way, wasn't it you sometime last year that predictably called me a 'conspiracy theorist' (another overused term rendered meaningless by self appointed moral authorities) for daring to suggest that this virus might have had lab origins? Or do you now accept that this just might now be a possibility, because your mainstream media overlords (who are all as thick as 3 short planks) told you that it is now ok?

New Moon

Did she mention that the past

Did she mention this?

COVID-19 lockdowns temporarily raised global temperatures, research shows
    Reductions in aerosol emissions had slight warming impact, study finds

Date:February 2, 2021
    Source:National Center for Atmospheric Research/University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
    Summary:
    The lockdowns and reduced societal activity related to the COVID-19 pandemic affected emissions of pollutants in ways that slightly warmed the planet for several months last year, according to new research. The counterintuitive finding highlights the influence of airborne particles, or aerosols, that block incoming sunlight.

This is my second time posting a link to this study. Maybe those with the agenda on here might consider it this time around.

New Moon

I refer to a previous statement of mine,

Please... just stop.

New Moon

Or do you now accept that this just might now be a possibility, because your mainstream media overlords (who are all as thick as 3 short planks) told you that it is now ok?

And this guy puts it in a way that few can.
    https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1395163292742651904
    Glenn Greenwald@ggreenwald
    May 20
    "Fact-checking, like virtually everything the corporate media does to feign superiority, is a total scam: just another way for them to smuggle their own ideologically-driven disinformation and conspiracy theories under a more elevated facade".

The Left is beginning at last to find voice, and the pseudo-left frauds are going to be sought out, one by glorious one.

New Moon

Did she mention that the past few Mays have been colder than average? Nope.

tmp_avv2105_2105.png

tmp_avv2005_2005.png

Did they happen to be the record minimum temperatures for May?

And I posted Moore's response to your 'rebuttals'. I am not the one criticising his doc, you are, so you could at least listen to what he has to say.. or would that be too uncomfortable for you? You might actually find yourself surprised at how much his thinking aligns with your own.

It is hubris to assume that you are the sole truth and that all else is 'misinformation'. Sorry, but you, the media, science and politics do not have that exclusive ownership. By they way, wasn't it you sometime last year that predictably called me a 'conspiracy theorist' (another overused term rendered meaningless by self appointed moral authorities) for daring to suggest that this virus might have had lab origins? Or do you now accept that this just might now be a possibility, because your mainstream media overlords (who are all as thick as 3 short planks) told you that it is now ok?

Nonsense, You introduced the documentary, you said it was 'brilliant' and you then responded to my fully referenced specific point challenging your praise of the documentary with a youtube video that you didn't even bother to watch first. You wasted enough of my time, I'm not wasting any more time on you

Nonsense, You introduced the documentary, you said it was 'brilliant' and you then responded to my fully referenced specific point challenging your praise of the documentary with a youtube video that you didn't even bother to watch first. You wasted enough of my time, I'm not wasting any more time on you
    Except your 'fully referenced specific point' was nothing but the blatant attempt to dismiss the whole message of the, yes, brilliant movie.

Here is just one short clip from the film for others to make up their own mind. I said it was disturbing for a reason... because it is. We have been sold a lie regarding 'green energy' and there is no getting away from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXUGysIX3fc

New Moon

• Advertisement

Did they happen to be the record minimum temperatures for May?

I don't know. I just know they were well below the sacred 1961-1990 reference value. For someone who's so hysterical about warming temperatures I'm surprised she didn't take a bit of solace in the fact that it's not all doom and gloom. I suppose her PR team wouldn't approve of that.

Advertisement