Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have to ask though, is Banana being funded by 'green energy' or something? Given that he has little to say on actual climate, but much to tell us about the evils of fossil fuels?

Are you funded by philistinism inc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Until you read and or watch the reports in the links your opinion on this matter is irrelevant!
    And why would I click onto those garbage media links you posted?

New Moon

Are you funded by philistinism inc?
    I'll ask you directly, are you being funded by big green energy? I am beginning to suspect that you are.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No doubt Akrasia will be on here reprimanding Bananaman for posting them. That'd be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I posted one such study on here only a few weeks back that dismisses these ideas.

As I have stated more than once, 'blocking' patterns were far more frequent during the cooler periods of the 20th century. Winters here in Europe, for example were colder because of such.

You guys all miss out on the simple fact that there is much more energy in the system

A blocking event that happened 20 years ago, will be less destructive than the same omega block in 2021

even if everything else is equal.

We have just seen a village in Canada, BC, reach just short of 50c
    That village has since burnt to the ground, in a wildfire

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57678054

How hot does it have to get before you agree it's time to act?

• Advertisement

No doubt Akrasia will be on here reprimanding Bananaman for posting them. That'd be a first.

There's nothing wrong with posting links to news reports from a reputable news organisation. At least C4 is regulated in some form

I'd way prefer if the primary source was also included. A link to whatever scientific body is being reported on. But this is a flaw with 99% of MSM reporting. They hardly ever link to the source.

When will your pals call you out for defending links from Tony Heller?

What source do you get your 'rarely wrong' beliefs from?

Akrasia wrote: »
    You guys all miss out on the simple fact that there is much more energy in the system

A blocking event that happened 20 years ago, will be less destructive than the same omega block in 2021

even if everything else is equal.

We have just seen a village in Canada, BC, reach just short of 50c
    That village has since burnt to the ground, in a wildfire

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57678054

How hot does it have to get before you agree it's time to act?

A similar event happened over a much wider area of North America in the 1930s. We're supposed to let on that that never happened and it was alll just due to that there darn farmer y'all that don't know how to farm good?

Again, prove that this current heatwave, over a relatively localised area, is due to increased ghg since then.

I posted one such study on here only a few weeks back that dismisses these ideas.

As I have stated more than once, 'blocking' patterns were far more frequent during the cooler periods of the 20th century. Winters here in Europe, for example were colder because of such.

post it again
    Or link to the post

There's nothing wrong with posting links to news reports from a reputable news organisation. At least C4 is regulated in some form

I'd way prefer if the primary source was also included. A link to whatever scientific body is being reported on. But this is a flaw with 99% of MSM reporting. They hardly ever link to the source.

When will your pals call you out for defending links from Tony Heller?

The links were all given in the video. I take it you didn't look them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A similar event happened over a much wider area of North America in the 1930s. We're supposed to let on that that never happened and it was alll just due to that there darn farmer y'all that don't know how to farm good?

Again, prove that this current heatwave, over a relatively localised area, is due to increased ghg since then.

Are you talking about the dust bowl, can that really be compared to now?

The ‘give or take a few degrees’ part is what separates a natural event, versus one that would not have been as extreme
    44c is still extreme don’t get me wrong but adding another 6c on top of that in BC in June is not on the menu without climate change

I'd like for you to discuss the physics of that statement, how you've calculated that 100 ppm extra CO2 has caused 6-degree spike. I'll wait.

There are hundreds of papers published on the dustbowl

Are you seriously suggesting that the same conditions that caused the dustbowl also caused this event in canada?
    or are you just doing a bunch of whataboutery?

And this weeks temperatures were far higher than even the peak of the dustbowl in 1936
    43c versus 49c, earlier in the year, and in a location much less naturally prone to such high temperatures

Why is 2021 6c warmer than the peak of the worst natural disaster in the history of the modern North american continent?

Danzy wrote: »
    Are you talking about the dust bowl, can that really be compared to now?

Apparently not, according to some. Mallen Baker, in response to Tony Heller, says we should ignore it. Akrasia agrees.

I'd like for you to discuss the physics of that statement, how you've calculated that 100 ppm extra CO2 has caused 6-degree spike. I'll wait.

Globally averaged increase of 1c, results in local conditions that are substantially higher than that

Globally averaged increase of 1c, results in local conditions that are substantially higher than that

Go on...

Apparently not, according to some. Mallen Baker, in response to Tony Heller, says we should ignore it. Akrasia agrees.

ts easy to beat straw men

Go on...

therefore, you're wrong

therefore, you're wrong

That's it? You've nothing more? Not even the back-of-an-envelope calculation to share? You mean you picked that number out of thin air and we're supposed to just accept it?

You used to at least wait for some time for attribution studies to come out before declaring a weather event due to climate change agw. Now you just skip the middle man and jump in feet first with your own blend of hyperbo-science.

Everyone knows this event is climate change related. It's so obvious, we don't need to wait for the studies( they all take time)

Have you seen this report from yesterday that shows Oil companies admitting to funding misinformation campaigns to protect their investments
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1Yg6XejyE

The people you defend, tony heller, for example, get paid through these campaigns

You might want to start to ask 'are we the baddies?'

• Advertisement

Everyone knows this event is climate change related. It's so obvious, we don't need to wait for the studies( they all take time)

Have you seen this report from yesterday that shows Oil companies admitting to funding misinformation campaigns to protect their investments
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1Yg6XejyE

The people you defend, tony heller, for example, get paid through these campaigns

You might want to start to ask 'are we the baddies?'

"Everyone knows". That's the new line now? Studies "take time", so let's all jump to conclusions before they're done! That's the best one yet, Akrasia.

And I wasn't aware that Tony is paid by Exxonmobil. Source?

"Everyone knows". That's the new line now? Studies "take time", so let's all jump to conclusions before they're done! That's the best one yet, Akrasia.

And I wasn't aware that Tony is paid by Exxonmobil. Source?

If I had said last year that a village in Canada BC would reach almost 50c and then burst into flames
    You would have called me an alarmist

If I said 5 years ago, that within 5 years, Ireland's max temperature record will be 39c, first, you would have laughed and called me an alarmist, and then when it actually happened would you even bother to argue that that would be within the normal climate of Ireland?

Sorry, but who gets to decide that a media org is 'reputable'? Is there a 'science study' to show that CH4 is for example :eek:, or is reputability based solely on whether or not a media org shares the same biases as oneself?

I'll get to decide what is reputable or not when it comes to media articles, not you deciding for me.

New Moon

post it again
    Or link to the post

No, if you missed it, then go look for it yourself.

New Moon

Sorry, but who gets to decide that a media org is 'reputable'? Is there a 'science study' to show that CH4 is for example :eek:, or is reputability based solely on whether or not a media org shares the same biases as oneself?

I'll get to decide what is reputable or not when it comes to media articles, not you deciding for me.
    A reputable news source is one that is accountable and faces consequences for being caught lying

a reputable news body would be accountable for any deliberate lies/misinformation

C4 is subject to regulation and subject to the strict British libel laws

What source do you suggest I use?

If I had said last year that a village in Canada BC would reach almost 50c and then burst into flames

If I said 5 years ago, that within 5 years, Ireland's max temperature record will be 39c, first, you would have laughed and called me an alarmist, and then when it actually happened would you even bother to argue that that would be within the normal climate of Ireland?

Wow. Just wow. A village got so hot that it "burst into flames"?! I thought it was a wildfire.

Are you saying Ireland will it 39 in 5 years? How much are you willing to bet? I can tell you now - and everyone is my witness - that if that happens I will gladly convert to your side of the fence and will use words like "burst" and "devastation" as much as I can. That's a promise. Bookmark this post.

EDIT: No, wait. You said that you would have said it 5 years ago, so this year it will hit 39. I can't wait. It'll hardly be tomorrow, and then the weather will break down, so I suppose we'll have to wait a few more weeks. I say it'll be Shannon Airport.

No, if you missed it, then go look for it yourself.

So in other words, you were bullsh1tting the whole time

Is there an unsurprised emoji?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Where you getting 39c? That's you just making that up ...

So in other words, you were bullsh1tting the whole time

Is there an unsurprised emoji?

You're not having the best of nights, are you? It must be that excess heat.

If someone posts a link and then later tells you when it was posted then they shouldn't have to keep reposting it every time someone asks for it. You know when it was, go and find it.

• Advertisement

Wow. Just wow. A village got so hot that it "burst into flames"?! I thought it was a wildfire.

Are you saying Ireland will it 39 in 5 years? How much are you willing to bet? I can tell you now - and everyone is my witness - that if that happens I will gladly convert to your side of the fence and will use words like "burst" and "devastation" as much as I can. That's a promise. Bookmark this post.

would a canadian have taken that bet in 2016 that they wouldn't breach the 49c barrier within 5 years? If climate change wasn't real, they would have been completely justified in their incredulity

Advertisement