Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Does anyone remeber on Fr Ted the priest who likes to collect ww2 memorabilia and it turns out to be specifically nazi memorabilia?

Tubridy and his interest in Irish history reminds me of that, interested in Irish history which is normal enough but it qcould be some strange aspect of it such as only liking it from the perspective of the landlords who evicted the natives and burned their houses down, or maybe the fascinating logistics of running a workhouse in Famine times or what it would be like to attend a banquette hosted by someone who runs a soup kitchen. Something abnormal.

Monarchs and their cars ?

Pioneers.

2021 struggle with parking meter

No coins or card

What will poor fella do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

What the hell is he talking about. Is this just random stories he started before he came on air and continuing now on air?
    Ryan, the listeners don't know what you are talking about, most of us were at work after 10am yesterday not going to museums and inviting ourselves around to nursing homes for coffee with you so you need to give some background to what you are rambling on about.

Finally realises that a medical emergency happened in the euros over a week ago. Only one of the biggest stories in the world sure.

8 year old girl strangled and killed a 2 year old boy in the book that caught Ryan's eye. He can pretend he likes literature and issues relating to poverty all he wants but I think most people listening are in absolutly no doubt that he read that purely because he RELISHES AND LOVES gruesome murders and human misery. Its disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Pontificating and patronising in equal measure.

• Advertisement

8 year old girl strangled and killed a 2 year old boy in the book that caught Ryan's eye. He can pretend he likes literature and issues relating to poverty all he wants but I think most people listening are in absolutly no doubt that he read that purely because he RELISHES AND LOVES gruesome murders and human misery. Its disturbing.

He loves grizzly stuff from birds of prey staking other creatures apart to humans doing likewise.

What the hell is he talking about. Is this just random stories he started before he came on air and continuing now on air?
    Ryan, the listeners don't know what you are talking about, most of us were at work after 10am yesterday not going to museums and inviting ourselves around to nursing homes for coffee with you so you need to give some background to what you are rambling on about.

Finally realises that a medical emergency happened in the euros over a week ago. Only one of the biggest stories in the world sure.

Difficult enough for relatives to get to see their loved ones in nursing homes these days... unless Ryan's Mum is in one.

The thing about Ryan trying on this Joe Duffy type role, it doesn't seem to gain traction with the authorities the way Liveline sometimes does. It should honestly stick with being a strictly light show, to clear our heads between break of morning news and serious topics ahead (aside from Claire Byrne's fluff stuff).

Dialling up the funometer.

The insincerity and fakeness about an interest in American politics and Biden was finally acknowledged.

He hasn't followed it since the election which was half a year ago. Pure lies that he's interested in it. He just liked the tabloid interesting stuff about Trump that he could read in 2 or 3 lines and understand. Nothing wrong with that at all but making out that you have some pseudo intellectual interests when in reality you don't is just insincere and fake and trying to be something you're not. Why bother like, it's like wearing glasses with no lenses just to make yourself look intelligent.

Also thinking that the black dog that Churchill said followed him around was actually literally a dog in the room was just absured. I thought initially he must have been trolling with that type of "annoying misunderstanding" to spark a conversation but given how much effort he puts in to trying to portray himself as something he isn't I think he actually genuinely hasn't a clue. How can someone who claims to read so much and also clearly is obsessed and relishes depression not get it.

• Advertisement

The insincerity and fakeness about an interest in American politics and Biden was finally acknowledged.

He hasn't followed it since the election which was half a year ago. Pure lies that he's interested in it. He just liked the tabloid interesting stuff about Trump that he could read in 2 or 3 lines and understand. Nothing wrong with that at all but making out that you have some pseudo intellectual interests when in reality you don't is just insincere and fake and trying to be something you're not. Why bother like, it's like wearing glasses with no lenses just to make yourself look intelligent.

Also thinking that the black dog that Churchill said followed him around was actually literally a dog in the room was just absured. I thought initially he must have been trolling with that type of "annoying misunderstanding" to spark a conversation but given how much effort he puts in to trying to portray himself as something he isn't I think he actually genuinely hasn't a clue. How can someone who claims to read so much and also clearly is obsessed and relishes depression not get it.

He pays little earnest attention to anything, as demonstrated through an interview he conducted regarding the subject of my late relative, and completely forgetting the crux of it later. Pays no attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Difficult enough for relatives to get to see their loved ones in nursing homes these days... unless Ryan's Mum is in one.

My working day has changed and I am normally in meetings between 9 and 11. For better or worse, I am no longer free to listen to the show

Has Ryan's mum gone into a nursing home? I am not sure why but I had assumed she was still working in Trintys School of computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the basic jist of it all is that our Ryan is not as well read as he pretends he is. And I do think it shows when he tries to do a 'proper' interview with someone who isn't a lightweight, fluff piece. He excels at chatting to family members with sad stories, as it's easy to come across all concerned. But interview someone who is involved in politics or something more heavy, and he's lost.

I have said a few times that it is easy in this Google world to pretend to read a lot, when you actually don't. You can read a synopsis of a book and then waffle about it a bit to make it sound like you've read it. I am guessing this is tubs method of 'reading' for a lot of books. Not disputing he does read some books, sure most of us do, but we don't pretend we spend all our free time reading.

My working day has changed and I am normally in meetings between 9 and 11. For better or worse, I am no longer free to listen to the show

Has Ryan's mum gone into a nursing home? I am not sure why but I had assumed she was still working in Trintys School of computers.

I don't think so but the whole thing was basically the same as the answer you would get from a 5 year old if you asked them what they did yesterday. You'd get a rough idea but also couldn't be quiet sure. I think he was trying to say he wanted to go to some museum but it was closed so he got invited to go another time, I assume he contacts the places he visits in advance to get special treatment, and instead he went to some sort of old folks village to meet someone he interviewed on the show before and might interview again in the future he said.

Would be grand if it was a child rambling on like that but this guy has been broadcasting for decades now, the only job he's ever had, the market has determined he is worth five hundred thousand euro a year for a 1 hour radio show on weekday mornings and a weekly descent into depravity TV show a few evenings per year and not only is it boring, repetitive drivel it's now become so badly prepared that it actualy doesn't even make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think the basic jist of it all is that our Ryan is not as well read as he pretends he is [...]

Someone recently asked him how many books he reads on average each week.

He couldnt give a straight answer at all and said something like "I read as much as I feel like reading... there is no answer to that question".

An absolute chancer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Someone recently asked him how many books he reads on average each week.

He couldnt give a straight answer at all and said something like "I read as much as I feel like reading... there is no answer to that question".

An absolute chancer :D

Have to agree there Sif , often wondered about that myself.

Between Films, box sets, books, research, politics………

No way anyone would have the time for the stuff he outlines and hold down a job paying a wedge north of half a mill.

One or the other duddnt jell……… and I think I know which…….:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

‘Ows about that then’

https://youtu.be/kyRWc_kOKq8

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

The thing about Ryan trying on this Joe Duffy type role, it doesn't seem to gain traction with the authorities the way Liveline sometimes does. It should honestly stick with being a strictly light show, to clear our heads between break of morning news and serious topics ahead (aside from Claire Byrne's fluff stuff).

Is this something about sitting being a human right? I just heard a promo for the show.

Radio off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CH3OH

someone visited my hotel 50 years ago ?

• Advertisement

Looks like everyone is getting tired of this insincere misery monger.

This thread has really died a death......Ryan will be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Looks like everyone is getting tired of this insincere misery monger.

Not really.

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-miriam-ocallaghan-22962470

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

elperello wrote: »

Would that be because they are amazeballs, or could it be down to something else...y'know, maybe something that wasn't around 18 months ago. Yep, tis a hard one to figure out alright. I'm stumped anyway.

You mean are more people listening to radio......well I guess there probably is a reason for it.
    Just can't think now what it is.

But if your figures went down, you'd need to be taking a good luck at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Ryan has completely overcooked the word "kindness" and should hibernate that word from his vocabulary . Yesterday he referred to "public service" as "public kindness"

There is a medical term for this. Semantic satiation is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener,[1] who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds. Extended inspection or analysis (staring at the word or phrase for a lengthy period of time) in place of repetition also produces the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭archfi

Is there any person allowed on RTE to counterpoint the 'UEFA bigot' ridiculous one-party narrative
    I have zero time for UEFA but here is Tubridy (& Morning Ireland previously) just allowing one erroneous side of the question unlimited, uninterrogated airtime.
    They are lionising so called football pundits who also were allowed to make speeches yesterday on a sports program on something that has nothing to do with football but was a political effort aimed at a football team - the Hungarian govt was not playing and every effort must be made to keep politics OUT of sporting fixtures/events.

This is manufactured consent.
    Oh btw Tubridy, the German FA didn't hand out 11000 rainbow flags outside the stdium - German LGBT activists did.
    At least get that right

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ray darcy also had a big increase in listeners

it appears competition is weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ray darcy also had a big increase in listeners

it appears competition is weak

That's from November, there should be a June JNLR happening shortly. No?

Advertisement