Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audi TT value?

• 12-01-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an Audi TT in storage at the moment. Its a 2004, mk1, 3.2 V6, DSG and Quattro. Its a high spec car with full Audi service history

Unsure weather to sell before the summer or not. I love driving it but the road tax just isn’t really worth it to me, but I do have the space to store it and apparently values are going up?

What do you’s think its worth now and are prices climbing as its possibly a future classic? I’ve never seen another 3.2 in Ireland so its hard to gauge a value. I wouldn’t mind keeping it considering I have the space to do so and I don’t exactly need the money. I just don’t want to keep it if it’s going to be sitting there loosing value.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Interesting specimen, unfortunately still a long, long way (13 years if registered in January) until vintage motor tax and the €1808 per year until then would be too much for 99.9% of people to cough up. An early 1.8 225 manual is as quick but has a far more palatable €636 motor tax and early ones can be vintage in just 7 years time

Guaranteed a classic though, but if put it in storage as an investment, a Porsche Boxster (worth about the same now, maybe only a few grand more) might have a higher yield. Or better again, a 996

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

cant see there being much value in it at the moment if I am honest, folks just dont want to pay the silly tax.
    guaranteed future classic, and as the V6 may well be one of the more desirable ones but I doubt values are increasing yet ( one of the issues with TT's is the sheer number of them still about ! )
    If you have somewhere to put it do that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For what you would get for it at the moment, you'd be as well putting it away and having it in the future. If you sold it now you'd possibly regret it at a later stage (been there done that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As a long time TT owner, and now on my 3rd Mk1, the V6 is the heaviest in depreciation, so I would say keep it. If you have the space, and can keep it in good condition, I'd say tax it for 3 months in the summer to keep it all working, and go from there.

But I do feel your pain. I have a 911 Cabrio that similarly irks.

It's monetary value atmo is low, esp the V6. The 1.8t's being more readily insurable and taxable, that's where the value is in them in this country. The V6 won't approach that until it's in a new tax position (13 yrs....).

Not sure, but maybe unless it's got an export value (to the UK that is) ?

But I have no doubt it is and will be a classic - it's just whether you want to wait that long.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not sure, but maybe unless it's got an export value (to the UK that is) ?

That was my first thought too, but that horse has bolted. Export to the UK and the buyer will have to pay VAT and import duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If your only reason to keep it is to make money, would you make a better return by selling it now and sticking that money in the stock market?

Stock market is fairly high and a gobal recession is likely in the short to medium term. Whereas the TT will almost certainly go up at least 100 in value over the next decade and a bit. Possibly 500%. And OP has free storage.

From a financial point of view it's a pretty sound idea. The one thing I would change if I were to put a car in long term storage is the potential for growth. Personally I'd sell the TT and buy a Boxster, or if you can stretch to well into 5 figures, a 996.

And as galwaytt said, you can enjoy the car for 3 months a year for around €500 motor tax, €200 insurance and maybe €800 in maintenance and running costs - which will eat up a lot of your profits, or possibly all if you have to pay for storage :p

Advertisement