Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get booking for 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Booked Morzine for the family, gonna do a few days in Geneva on the way in and out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Sauze D'Oulx DIY.

Flights to France too expensive. Austria also expensive. Turin was half the price so went with that. Found a lovely apartment that I can cancel up to Jan 1st....so it if all goes wrong again it will just be flights to lose!

Been to Sauze before - so I understand the strengths and weaknesses....(lift system could be better / link to Sestriere/San Sicario can close in bad weather). But in decent weather with snow - its a lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

First bit of the seasons snow is falling on a lot of the alps now. Makes me very excited, 41 more sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Sauze D'Oulx for Christmas

Hi was looking at Sauze D'Oulx for the week leading up to Christmas, I haven't been there before. Would this be a good time snow-wise and would it be quiet or busy? Are slopes open on the 24th and 25th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Les Arcs in Jan. Anyone been before? All tips greatfully accepted.

• Advertisement

Yes the slopes are open on Christmas Day too. Might be a good place for early season depending on snowfall really.

Les Arcs skiing is very good with the link over to La Plagne too. It’s a very expensive town though and not much going on regarding apres ski. What village are you staying in and why level of skier are you and your group?

Thanks madness. 1950 we are. One family of beginners and 3 of us very comfortable intermediates, perhaps approaching advanced on our best days. 😉

1950 is a lovely little village and ski in/out. Largest area for beginners is probably over by Arc 1800 and towards Vallandry. The link to La Plagne is over their too and there is loads of great skiing for strong intermediate skiers in the various areas of La Plagne. There is a cracking 7Km black run down from the top of Aiguille Rouge too that’s very steep at the top but handy enough the rest of the way down.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Re Les Arcs, if you're driving there be prepared to pay nearly €100 for parking anywhere in the villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

€100 for the week?

No driving. I'm back in Ireland so on a package. Thanks tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

It's about that, there's a lower rate for outdoors parking, you would need to check their website for the exact rates. They really want you to take the train/funicular combo which would be fine if they didn't close the funicular so darn early on change over day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you mess up your timings and get stuck in La Plagne its a very, very expensive taxi home. We met a guy who missed it went drinking and found someone who let him sleep in the couch till the lift opened next day 😀

If the weather closes in and you are over there head back they will close the route back especially for wind, fog or low cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Loads of snow last night in french alps anyway.

Can't wait to go end January.

Hoping no lockdowns.

good skiing or boarding everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Hazy info but for anyone going to France, it looks like the cut off for the "health pass" (same as the vaccine cert) is now 7 months from your second dose, so you need a booster if you are going and you've passed the 7 month mark from your second dose. Looking like the "health pass" will be required for lifts, restaurants, bars etc. PCR or Antigen test everyday for those without a health pass.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Would have to think the tourist industry will lose a lot of business from Brits in particular? Seeing on other websites that French requiring two jabs for teens whereas UK policy I think is to only give one and uptake isn't as big as other places, this is creating headaches for families travelling skiing.

Again, I sincerely hope all this junk is gone by the end of this coming ski season but I have to say I am becoming less and less optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I'm still confident that the ski season will go ahead for most. I'm in Andorra mid Jan and while I might have to get tested going over & back & apres-ski will be different. They Skiing will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I agree actually. I think there'll be measures but no additional full lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Trip to Tignes for the week from the 11th is a little up in the air now. 😑 The pre-departure test has put the fear of god into the other half, given that a positive result would mean stranding in France over Christmas. (OH can't work remotely while isolating either).

Considering braving it solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I’ve booked Austria for February with a big group of lads. Fingers and toes crossed that we can go. Austria seem to be getting on with it and have plenty of measures in place. They are planning to remove lockdown in the next week or two but not for the unvaccinated.

my only real issue is that I have a second week booked later in February. I have booked on Booking.com and need to cancel before 20th of December or I have to go ahead and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

Just for future reference @Donie75, it's always worth contacting the accommodation provider direct. A discount is usually available when booking off the booking platforms (no heavy commission to be paid). Also, their terms and conditions can be a lot more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks A1Son. I booked through Booking.com because booking a flexible rate was an extra €500 for the week when booked direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

That's a big difference. Good choice so. Hope ya get out both weeks, the snow is looking good so far this season.

Advertisement