Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with Ben Shapiro

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What did she say?

Not a lot really, but he gets a kick out of winding up militant feminists, who doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jaysus!

To be fair the man is an orthodox jew. Incest featured in the old testament and was not seen to be as bad as homosexuality. The holy books are fairly explicit in how homosexuals should be treated and it would be more hypocritical of a religious individual to ignore these sections.

Luckily few in Ireland give a crap what the bible says so we can accommodate all of the citizens to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If he wasn't American, he'd almost have me convinced. But since he's just another money hungry Yankee media whore who would deny gravity if there as a bob to made off it, I'm certain it's an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

KungPao wrote: »
    Who the **** is Ben Shapiro?

An American right-wing shock jock. As opposed to the vastly different American left-wing shock jock.

Two reprehensible species who live in a symbiotic (ie mutually enforcing) world of straw-men arguments, bilious presentation, unfunny invective, self-righteous and self-regarding high dudgeon and an absolute belief that THEIR way--the bipolar, Blue v Red, there is no other possible point of view American Way--is the exemplar of the Free World to which all other lesser nations aspire.

Meanwhile the rest of the world is increasingly laughing at them.

(How do you say "He's behind you!" in Chinese?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't really care for him but he can be funny and the video where he clashes with the trans woman is a classic.

After debate on sex/gender in which Shapiro is very clearly pushing for a reaction:

"You keep that up young man and you'll be going home in an ambulance"

"That seems mildly inappropriate for a political debate"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I find myself agreeing with most of his views on all this new age woke fad etc but would I sit down and have a beer with him? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I find myself agreeing with most of his views on all this new age woke fad etc but would I sit down and have a beer with him? Nope.

That's what I'm wondering.

Most of this thread has been criticism of his squeaky voice, how fast he speaks and the fact that he has a serious air of arrogance.

Much less disagreement of his actual opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Not a lot really, but he gets a kick out of winding up militant feminists, who doesn't?
    So you don't know, but you still have to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

DrPhilG wrote: »

Most of this thread has been criticism of his squeaky voice, how fast he speaks and the fact that he has a serious air of arrogance.

Personally I would disagree with almost all of his opinions or certainly the ones Ive heard, I haven't seen a huge amount from him apart from on Joe Rogan and the odd tweet that gets posted as a meme online and I can't stand him at all. How he sounds, how he argues or his opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He inadvertently admitted he couldn't make his wife wet.
    Genius!

DrPhilG wrote: »

I assume most people in Ireland would disagree with his stance on the following:

Trump
    Abortion
    Same sex marriage
    Guns
    Climate Change
    Health Service

Although I haven't heard much explanations here for why his reasoning on these issues is flawed. However, maybe some people in Ireland might agree with him a little on the gender pay gap issue!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I assume most people in Ireland would disagree with his stance on the following:

Trump
    Abortion
    Same sex marriage
    Guns
    Climate Change
    Health Service

Although I've haven't heard much explanations here for why his reasoning on these issues is flawed. However, maybe some people in Ireland might agree with him a little on the gender pay gap issue!

Trump - you are probably correct
    Abortion - anti abortion has a strong following
    Same sex marriage - see referendum results
    Guns - meh. If Americans want guns who are we to argue?
    Climate Change - you are hopefully correct
    Health Service - again if they want to run their health service differently leave them at it. I would be more concerned about the state of ours.

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Listening to a wide variety of views is generally healthy
    Point out to me where I stated that people shouldn't listen to all points of view???
    No. Because opinions are like aseholes - everyone has one on how things 'really are".
    We're going around in circles now. Once again, yes everyone has an opinion, but the point is that some opinions are well informed, and others are largely misinformed. And we can agree that the more well informed the opinion is, the more likely the individual is to end up making the correct decision?? But of course, someone like you will always be able to say that there is "no one verifiable view point of how things 'really are'", and that's true. But people should at least strive to get it.

But all of that goes without saying to me. The point I'm making is that Shapiro deliberately makes people view things in a simplified and untrue way. So if there ever is a verifiable view point of how things really are, Shapiro is driving people away from that. I believe he speaks fast, and with an indignant tone in order to disguise his flawed arguments.

I'm not necessarily saying Shapiro's opinions are mis-informed... because I don't know what they are. At this stage he might be selectively ignoring certain facts in order to keep the ideology (that he's lived by for years) neat and tidy. But what I am saying is he has no problem misinforming others in order to make a money.

The main reason I listened to him, was to study his deceptive tactics. And I don't think that's why others listen to him!!! Most people who listen to Shapiro are already die hard right wingers... and yes he further deludes them. And yes, you can say that every reporter has a bias, but it's normally a healthy bias. Shapiro takes it too far!
    "Let's get a straight answer out of you". Whoa back up buddy. This is a discussion not a Q&A session.
    What's the big secret? Do you think Ben Shapiro polarises stuff? You said "the issue is not whether he polarises stuff".
    And if you're answer is 'yes', then what's your justification for it being okay?
    he has strong opinions, and that that isn't uncommon with the current political landscape.
    Tell me something I don't know. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's an absolute gowl. Typical of these nouveaux internet right winger types. All garnish and no meat. They're only in their element when they're talking to people who will agree with them and don't face an challenges to their "ideas". But they're all at sea when they come across someone who can see through their flimsy points of view.

That Andrew Neil interview completely exposed him for the twat he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Point out to me where I stated that people shouldn't listen to all points of view???

Not implied. This is what what you did say. Hence my reply.
    You were going wide by referring to how we should listen "all points of view", which includes everyone (going away from Shapiro), which caused me to think of a hypothetical pathological liar sharing his point of view.... I should have been clear I didn't mean Ben. I do not believe that he lies as a habit, but I do suspect that he misleads people with certain information. If you think about it, that doesn't mean I contradicted myself.
    We're going around in circles now. Once again, yes everyone has an opinion, but the point is that some opinions are well informed, and others are largely misinformed. And we can agree that the more well informed the opinion is, the more likely the individual is to end up making the correct decision?? But of course, someone like you will always be able to say that there is "no one verifiable view point of how things 'really are'", and that's true. But people should at least strive to get it.

Indeed.
    But all of that goes without saying to me. The point I'm making is that Shapiro deliberately makes people view things in a simplified and untrue way. So if there ever is a verifiable view point of how things really are, Shapiro is driving people away from that. I believe he speaks fast, and with an indignant tone in order to disguise his flawed arguments.

I'm not necessarily saying Shapiro's opinions are mis-informed... because I don't know what they are. At this stage he might be selectively ignoring certain facts in order to keep the ideology (that he's lived by for years) neat and tidy. But what I am saying is he has no problem misinforming others in order to make a money.

The main reason I listened to him, was to study his deceptive tactics. And I don't think that's why others listen to him!!! Most people who listen to Shapiro are already die hard right wingers... and yes he further deludes them. And yes, you can say that every reporter has a bias, but it's normally a healthy bias. Shapiro takes it too far!

That's an unhealthy dose of self contradiction there tbf and says more about your own political bias than his imho.
    What's the big secret? Do you think Ben Shapiro polarises stuff? You said "the issue is not whether he polarises stuff". And if you're answer is 'yes', then what's your justification for it being okay?

Odd - you now think there is some 'secret? That btw was in reply to your tone. My previous comment suggested that you read what was stated again - as you clearly went off on a tangent remote from what was said (and not as you misquoted me firstly saying - "the issue isn't with whether he polarises everything" or even "the issue is not whether he polarises stuff" above. You evidently have not done that. The point stands.
    gozunda wrote:
    he has strong opinions, and that that isn't uncommon with the current political landscape.
    Tell me something I don't know. What's your point?

Relax! I get it you don't like the guy! Not a huge fan myself of a lot of his arguments. As said imho he's no better or worse than most US presenters.

I'm glad we seem to agree on something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The problem with shapiro is ..

The right is not creative.

Hollywood is ruled by the left ..so is music why?

Because the left is creative.

Black music LGBT music etc. That is what makes money.

So the RIGHT ...has to find some OTHER way to communicate with young people.

For some unknown reason Ben Shapiro thinks what he is doing is it. God love them.

Kids get leftest culture all day every day in film books music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd agree with Shapiro on some topics and disagree with him on others.

I usually find him entertaining if nothing else.

Tony EH wrote: »
    That Andrew Neil interview completely exposed him for the twat he is.

That was brutal,screaming at a thatcherite they were leftist,when he dared to critique him or his book

Iirc he walked off in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That was brutal,screaming at a thatcherite they were leftist,when he dared to critique him or his book

Iirc he walked off in the end?
    I have just realized ....prob will get banned for this ....but ben shapiro looks like greta thunberg here.

i can't unsee it......

And yes ....he was out witted easily which shows you how bad american media is

• Advertisement

I have just realized ....prob will get banned for this ....but ben shapiro looks like greta thunberg here.

i can't unsee it......

And yes ....he was out witted easily which shows you how bad american media is

What he says at 6:45 is fairly prophetic. No arguing that the man has a brain in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,607 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Two Question first of all

Who is he?

Is he the ban appearing randomly on Space X and other posts of FB.

I hate it. What the hell is that about like it's just stupid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

AMKC wrote: »
    Two Question first of all

Who is he?

Is he the ban appearing randomly on Space X and other posts of FB.

I hate it. What the hell is that about like it's just stupid.

He is a relatively young conservative US media presenter who espouses a lot of non liberal and sometimes what are seen as conflicting viewpoints. Has stated he holds deep reservations about Trumps personality and character - he later did a turn around on his position on Trumps politics. Accepts global warming but is critical of EoTW hyperbole. He famously got hammered in an interview by UK media journalist host Andrew Neil and admitted same.

Worth watching as a window on US politics and society as are some of his equivalent but diametrically opposed US media show hosts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The problem with shapiro is ..

The right is not creative.

Hollywood is ruled by the left ..so is music why?

Because the left is creative.

Black music LGBT music etc. That is what makes money.

LOL You appropriate Black Music in its entirety for "the left", pretty racist that.

I do enjoy such a blissful lack of self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

he was out witted easily which shows you how bad american media is

They get soft-ball 'interviews' off other so-called conservatives and avoid difficult interviews/debates. They're the equivalent of average boxer defeating bums and having fights fixed for them and then claiming to be the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The worst of Ben was the hacky doctor point he made recently (did you know his wife is a doctor? :rolleyes:). The whole “If somebody was having a heart attack, could a PhD help?”. No, Ben, and you’d quickly move on. People would move past it in seconds. He presents himself as learned but apparently is unaware that people with doctorates called themselves doctors long before physicians ever did.

The BEST of Shapiro remains Andrew Neil ripping him apart. My favourite part of the interview is where Neil talks about a coarsening of American political discourse and reads out the titles of some Ben Shapiro videos from YouTube like “Ben Shapiro DESTROYS whoever”. Shapiro asks if he was the one to upload those videos and Neil has so much to work with that he doesn’t need to point out that, yes, some of those videos are uploaded by the YouTube channel Shapiro started. The whole interview is a delight and totally strips Shapiro of his “facts don’t care about your feelings” BS because he clearly gets very rattled. Not so easy when it’s not a 20 year old college student, eh Ben?
    It's largely an act. He's made good money out of it too.

I dunno. He got very upsetted with Neil’s line of questioning. If that was act, he made himself look very foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He rarely mentions how his opinions are largely driven by his religious beliefs. He's very, very religious but doesn't let on. It's becomes clear in some of his Joe Rogan interviews. Like no sex before marriage. Homosexuality is an abomination. Morality can only come from God. All the usuals. I'm never going to put much stock in anyone coming from that position.

I think it’s very obvious that he is very religious. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What he says at 6:45 is fairly prophetic. No arguing that the man has a brain in there.

This guy was on the money:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So this makes it funny because he kind of has to admit that Trump is an idiot, and then rationalise it somehow.

He's made his position fairly clear, he dislikes Trump, but prefers his policies.
    That's a perfectly rational position to have.
    He's doesn't make any secret of the fact he thinks Trump is an idiot, he's never hidden that.

• Advertisement

I know next to nothing about him. I have little time for the types of videos that say "Watch how X destroys Y's argument in 47 seconds."

Anyone with an education will realise how facile an argument that is guaranteed to be.

Advertisement