Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Louise Byrne Prime Time - Poor Interview Etiquette

  • 07-01-2021 10:18pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    Those new presenters on Prime Time are atrociously aggressive and cut across guests far too often (without letting them answer questions).

    Louise Byrne is terrible. Really poor interview with a guest from Brussels this evening. Would not even let him answer questions or finish speaking without cutting across him.


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭ Radio5


    It seems to be RTE practice to interrupt/cut across speakers. Mary Wilson, Aine Lawlor for example have been doing it on radio for years.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭ .anon.


    Any time I've seen her, she's been really good. Doesn't seem to have much tolerance for interviewees who ignore the question and spout whatever spiel they've rehearsed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ nc6000


    They are both much better than Miriam anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ beachhead


    Azatadine wrote: »
    Those new presenters on Prime Time are atrociously aggressive and cut across guests far too often (without letting them answer questions).

    Louise Byrne is terrible. Really poor interview with a guest from Brussels this evening. Would not even let him answer questions or finish speaking without cutting across him.

    Not just these presenters.It is common among the presenters in the rte organisation on tv or radio.Agressive,ignorant,all to willing to push their own agenda and personal views-sometimes disguised as viewers comments.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ Misguided1


    Interviewers should ask open questions not the current practice of asking leading questions designed to trap people into saying something they will turn into a headline. RTE interviewers are shocking at it. So you're saying.......Does that mean.

    Just once I would love an interviewee to directly answer the question they are asked and make the interviewers work a little harder.

    Q Isn't it the case that you didn't consult with unions on the matter.
    A Yes.

    Q So you are saying that the hospital system is at full capacity.
    A Yes.

    This business of feeding people a statement and pretending it is a question drives me nuts!

    Even better - if someone being interviewed didn't respond to a statement until a question was actually asked.......


  • Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 54,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mr E


    nc6000 wrote: »
    They are both much better than Miriam anyway.

    Genuinely?


  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭ EmptyTree


    Didn't care much for Louise's style of questioning. But that new Mark chap, I like the cut of his jib. He's a refreshing addition to the panel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭ silverharp


    they should do it Joe Rogan style have it 2 hours long, and everyone has a spliff, entertaining and informative. the faux antagonistic style is so boring

    A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    You could see the guest from Brussels was shell shocked by her style of questioning last night. She didn't even introduce him properly and kept cutting across him before he could even answer her questions. It was actually embarrassing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 48,682 ✭✭✭✭ walshb


    I watched her last night interviewing Nora Foley, the education minister.

    It was just attack attack, interrupt interrupt all night..

    Weird.

    What is it with these shows, where everything is attack and trying to find fault and trip people up?

    It’s the same with all them across radio and tv.

    So unbalanced and one-sided, and for listeners it is not giving them the proper picture...

    They must be under orders to be simply as combative as they can..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ Jellybaby_1


    I have found the female RTE news presenters often interrupt the person they are interviewing and I end up listening to two voices neither of which will stop. I find myself shouting stop, stop, at the TV and in the end I just switch off. I hate that style of 'interviewing'.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    I presume she does it to appear "hard hitting" but it comes across as really really unprofessional.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw


    Ya someone made the point that the government were offered huge numbers of a vaccine early days. The guest clearly and in a cool manner explained that the offer was early days before they had any idea if they would even produce an effective vaccine and it was therefore wise to do pre orders with a number of possible suppliers. She then came back with a similar question, looking very foolish imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ Jellybaby_1


    Azatadine wrote: »
    I presume she does it to appear "hard hitting" but it comes across as really really unprofessional.


    I agree with you there. Are they still trained by Carr's?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ bfa1509


    And bizarrely they have ramped up the interruptiveness since they brought in the zoom calls. So now the simultaneous talking over one another is magnified. Infuriating stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    bfa1509 wrote: »
    And bizarrely they have ramped up the interruptiveness since they brought in the zoom calls. So now the simultaneous talking over one another is magnified. Infuriating stuff.

    Yes, that's absolutely true!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    There was a new presenter on this evening and he was refreshingly professional I thought. He allowed guests to speak without cutting across them and seemed less interogatory. Didn't catch his name though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    Haven't seen her on PT as much since her debacle of an interview. Wonder is she getting sidelined?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ amacca


    walshb wrote: »
    I watched her last night interviewing Nora Foley, the education minister.

    It was just attack attack, interrupt interrupt all night..

    Weird.

    What is it with these shows, where everything is attack and trying to find fault and trip people up?

    It’s the same with all them across radio and tv.

    So unbalanced and one-sided, and for listeners it is not giving them the proper picture...

    They must be under orders to be simply as combative as they can..

    funny I watched that and I though the interview as very weak...she gave norma a very easy ride imo...didnt ask any difficult questions

    the combative style as people put it may look combative but it didnt put the interviewee under and real pressure at all that time

    I too though she was poor at interviewing but for other reasons it seems


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    Even if for different reasons, she is a poor interviewer.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭ ford fiesta


    silverharp wrote: »
    they should do it Joe Rogan style have it 2 hours long, and everyone has a spliff, entertaining and informative. the faux antagonistic style is so boring

    Mark the car salesman has not been spotted in a few weeks, Fran McNulty presenting since New Year in his place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭ homerun_homer


    Mark the car salesman has not been spotted in a few weeks, Fran McNulty presenting since New Year in his place.

    Mark was on last week! I saw on Twitter that he had a baby so that explains that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ bfa1509


    Mark was on last week! I saw on Twitter that he had a baby so that explains that.

    Makes you wonder where Mark Little went to. He could make Disneyland sound like Chernobyl in 86


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭ elperello


    bfa1509 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder where Mark Little went to. He could make Disneyland sound like Chernobyl in 86

    He's on VM 1 just now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ bfa1509


    elperello wrote: »
    He's on VM 1 just now.

    No way! That is creepy. I honestly hadn't seen him since he left RTE.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ amacca


    bfa1509 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder where Mark Little went to. He could make Disneyland sound like Chernobyl in 86

    He set up a business...successful I think....news aggregator/storyful????.....somebody jump in here I'm only half remembering the details, thought I heard him talking about it at a conference a couple of years ago


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ greedygoblin


    amacca wrote: »
    He set up a business...successful I think....news aggregator/storyful????.....somebody jump in here I'm only half remembering the details, thought I heard him talking about it at a conference a couple of years ago

    Yep, storyful is the one. Originally set up to verify breaking news stories. Subsequently bought by Rupert Murdoch, which is kind of ironic when you think about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭ elperello


    amacca wrote: »
    He set up a business...successful I think....news aggregator/storyful????.....somebody jump in here I'm only half remembering the details, thought I heard him talking about it at a conference a couple of years ago

    He sold up Storyful and did well out of it.

    This is his new day job https://www.kinzen.com/

    Voice still as rich as ever.

    Just by the way there is a discussion at the moment on the Claire Byrne Today thread and she is getting stick for not being aggressive enough.

    Funny old world media :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭ dvdman1


    Louise Byrne is awful


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭ Hello 2D Person Below


    .anon. wrote: »
    Any time I've seen her, she's been really good. Doesn't seem to have much tolerance for interviewees who ignore the question and spout whatever spiel they've rehearsed.

    I was about to post exactly the same. She seems to have a good bull**** detector.


Advertisement