Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post is not accepting any parcel due to huge volumes of parcels

• 07-01-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

So I've a package coming from China via DHL in Germany, I looked up the tracking ID and this is the response I got from DHL

"Thank you for contacting DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce regarding the delivery of your shipment.

The latest status of your shipment is: delayed as the An Post is not accepting any parcel due to huge volumes of parcel. We are still waiting for the response from An Post. And in the worst cases the parcels are returning to the senders.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

What an absolute joke of an organization

Note: This appears to be an issue with DHL, I will update when I get more information

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What an absolute joke of an organization

DHL or An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Can you post a screenshot of the message please?

This is not true, because that's not happening. I find it hard to believe DHL would send that message.

There were delays getting parcels from Germany last week, I got an email saying that it was because they have to come through the UK and they weren't shipping to the UK due to the new strain of covid. It could be something to do with that.

The message sounds fake tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

DHL or An Post.

An post, but could be DHL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

So An Post are stating that they are still waiting for a response from An Post? Apart from the grammar errors as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This sounds like DHL making stuff up, basically.

They road shipped via the UK to get parcels to An Post and that became impossible when Dover closed and is extremely complicated now unless its a full truck load sealed under TIR - not how those firms work.

The very same DHL has its own aircraft and a delivery fleet in Ireland they can use if there are delays, which they have chosen not to do to preserve the difference between their German parcels operation (basically the same as using An Post parcels) and the "fancier" service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

An post

Go back to DHL, this isn't accurate in the slightest

Can you post a screenshot of the message please?

This is not true, because that's not happening. I find it hard to believe DHL would send that message.

There were delays getting parcels from Germany last week, I got an email saying that it was because they have to come through the UK and they weren't shipping to the UK due to the new strain of covid. It could be something to do with that.

The message sounds fake tbh

It's not fake, I emailed DHL customer service and that is the reply I got. I work in IT so I know what fhising emails are like

L1011 wrote: »

They road shipped via the UK to get parcels to An Post and that became impossible when Dover closed and is extremely complicated now unless its a full truck load sealed under TIR - not how those firms work.

The very same DHL has its own aircraft and a delivery fleet in Ireland they can use if there are delays, which they have chosen not to do to preserve the difference between their German parcels operation (basically the same as using An Post parcels) and the "fancier" service

Cheers, I will get back to them so

Wow, just got this reply

"Thank you for contacting DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce.

We apologize that your shipment has been damaged/ lost during the delivery process.

Please select the appropriate option as below:

Option A – Shipment is delivered with local post: Please visit your local post office within 7 days for a damage report. Kindly notify the damage to your shipper or online shop as well. Your shipper or online shop will then claim the damaged parcel with DHL.

Option B – Shipment is delivered with a non-postal provider or courier service: Please contact your shipper or online shop for an advice on how to proceed.

Option C – Lost Shipment: Please contact your shipper or online shop. Your shipper or online shop will then claim the lost parcel with DHL.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

DHL is a division of Deutsche Post(the German an Post), and also operate an economy service where the shipments are delivered by post in the destination country..

So if you are using the post or economy service(which this Chinese shipper probably is), then its basically mail..

DHL express is the premium courier service that most people think of when they hear DHL.. They're the one with the planes! And the planes are full to the gunnels at the moment.. So why would they waste space on a plane for a package that they are getting feck all for shipping when there is 20 more willing to pay the premium rate also waiting to move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However, I expect there are international provisions for the passage of regular UPU parcels which do not involve a full truck under TIR. Parcels have been coming for the last 150 years at least.

The conduct of some operators is rather shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

They're completely separate operations. Deusche Post DHL (which the OP is referring to) is the German version of An Post, Royal Mail, PostNL etc.

DHL Express is an premium international courier like FedEx and UPS. There is zero chance of a Deutsche Post parcel ever ending up on a DHL plane. You have to pay for that privilege.

EDIT: Already explained by Andrew above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VG31 wrote: »
    They're completely separate operations. Deusche Post DHL (which the OP is referring to) is the German version of An Post, Royal Mail, PostNL etc.

DHL Express is an premium international courier like FedEx and UPS. There is zero chance of a Deutsche Post parcel ever ending up on a DHL plane. You have to pay for that privilege.

EDIT: Already explained by Andrew above.

I knew and understood absolutely every bit of that and it does nothing to diminish my point - DHL Paket or whatever the German domestic operator is called has a litany of options to sort out their unpreparedness for Brexit; including using the Express division of the same company should they wish to. But they aren't going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An Post is in fact swamped. Still a huge backlog of parcels, some taking several weeks to get from one part of ireland to another. Despite all of that I can't imagine them ever refusing to take delivery of an item because of the backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    An Post is in fact swamped. Still a huge backlog of parcels, some taking several weeks to get from one part of ireland to another. Despite all of that I can't imagine them ever refusing to take delivery of an item because of the backlog.

I had a parcel delivered on the 5th (signed for by me) which I never signed for. No sign of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

I brought a package to them this Monday and it arrived yesterday to the person. Seems all over the place, some people have issues and others don't

AndyOHart wrote:
    I brought a package to them this Monday and it arrived yesterday to the person. Seems all over the place, some people have issues and others don't

I have a small mail order business. Some things are being delivered next day and others taking weeks. In many cases tracking information is saying that its in the post office where it was posted. This information isn't being updated until delivery a week or two later.

I still think An Post do a good job for the most part. With Covid-19, lockdowns, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas it's just overwhelmed them.

Got a Christmas card delivered 2 days ago with a December 10th stamp on it. From one part of Dublin to another. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

I knew and understood absolutely every bit of that and it does nothing to diminish my point - DHL Paket or whatever the German domestic operator is called has a litany of options to sort out their unpreparedness for Brexit; including using the Express division of the same company should they wish to. But they aren't going to.

Ready my post and VG31s again.. Your shipper paid for the cheap service so that’s what you will get, pay for DHL express if you want your cargo to fly ex Europe..

It doesn’t make a blind bit of difference if they are the same company, the plane is full and they’re not going to add a second one for non-paying cargo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

An Post is in fact swamped.

why?? is it everyone shopping online cause of covid??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

fryup wrote: »

Yes

• Advertisement

fryup wrote:

Yes. I wasn't putting down An Post. I was only saying that there was some truth to them being swamped. I think they have been doing a pretty good job in some very difficult situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

I had a parcel sent by Superdrug in the UK on the 19th December.
    Only yesterday, 07/01/21 I received an email from An Post saying usual " your parcel will be delivered in up to 3 days" Usually means the next day.
    Can't blame the situation in Dover for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,710 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

fryup wrote: »
    Partly that. But partly also that a lot of international mail travels in the hold of passenger air services. And there are many fewer passenger air services flying, which means that the logistics of international mail services are severely disrupted/constrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I have an Amazon DE package on the way to me now from Germany. Tracking says it has gone from Germany to France, and left there last night heading to Ireland. Will see if it comes through next week, but there's nothing about it being delayed yet. They have stated the expected delivery is not till Monday week, Jan 18th though, so they are expecting it to take a bit longer than normal.

I had other international deliveries by An Post last week and this week though, with no issue. I would think this is some problem with DHL/Deutsche Post economy delivery more so than An Post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Two orders I was looking at from Amazon.de also said 18th January via An Post. I see other threads where people say the same date. I wonder if this is what they'll do, run trailers once a week from Germany through France and into Ireland.

DHL are still putting this on An Post, maybe they are right after all. I guess I'll have to wait it out for a few weeks and see

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0111/1188962-an-post-says-christmas-mail-backlog-continues/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whiterebel wrote: »
    Two orders I was looking at from Amazon.de also said 18th January via An Post. I see other threads where people say the same date. I wonder if this is what they'll do, run trailers once a week from Germany through France and into Ireland.

Mine has updated - I got the 3 day text from An Post, so in Dublin on 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

DHL are still putting this on An Post, maybe they are right after all. I guess I'll have to wait it out for a few weeks and see

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0111/1188962-an-post-says-christmas-mail-backlog-continues/

You read that and think the issues raised are caused by an post? International mail stuck in international ports is because of an post?

DHL brought out a statement saying all deliveries from UK or to UK were suspended,but that's an post too?

An post ain't perfect,but people think once they order something from abroad it's up to an post to bring it from wherever its ordered,to their doors.

It ain't. If there are delays once here,it's an post. Not until it's in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

The issue is visibility for most. I had a package leave Koln a week ago with DHL to be handed over to AnPost. No update since so I havent a clue if its still in Germany, in Ireland or in space. I understand the holdup so I'm not too fussed but its the not knowing where it actually is located is what bugs me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

statto25 wrote: »
    The issue is visibility for most. I had a package leave Koln a week ago with DHL to be handed over to AnPost. No update since so I havent a clue if its still in Germany, in Ireland or in space. I understand the holdup so I'm not too fussed but its the not knowing where it actually is located is what bugs me

This is my problem too. From Germany to UK with DHL. I don't know why it went UK but DHL tracking is saying its delivered in the UK.
    DHL are blaming AnPost but AnPost emailed me yesterday and said they don't know why DHL are saying it as AnPost are accepting packages from Germany.
    Maybe AnPost aren't accepting post from UK?

AndyOHart wrote: »
    This is my problem too. From Germany to UK with DHL. I don't know why it went UK but DHL tracking is saying its delivered in the UK.
    DHL are blaming AnPost but AnPost emailed me yesterday and said they don't know why DHL are saying it as AnPost are accepting packages from Germany.
    Maybe AnPost aren't accepting post from UK?

Thats a DHL problem. Their tracking normally stops when it has left Germany on a truck bound for Ireland. They actually give you a link on to the An Post site, which normally doesn't recognise the tracking number for a couple of days or a week. Then it delivers with An Post.
    You shipment is showing delivered by DHL to the UK, An Post should not have any part in that.

So it seems I'm not the only one with this issue, you would think at least An Post's tracking system could tie in with DHL.

I mean even if it just stated "Held up",

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,710 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So it seems I'm not the only one with this issue, you would think at least An Post's tracking system could tie in with DHL.

I mean even if it just stated "Held up",
    There’s no particular reason why, of all the hundreds of postal administrations in the world, An Post would pick DHL and configure their tracking system to link with its.

This is common phenomenon with international mail - the receiving post office doesn’t “link with” the sending post office’s IT system; they simply scan the package once it’s received by them, and it then appears in their tracking system. I’m currently waiting for a bunch of things sent from China, the US and Ireland to pop up in Australia Post’s tracking system; all of them are reported on the sending office’s system as having left the sending country, but none of them will appear on the Australia Post tracking system until Australia Post performs at least one process on them. In the present conditions weeks can pass between these two things.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There’s no particular reason why, of all the hundreds of postal administrations in the world, An Post would pick DHL and configure their tracking system to link with its.

This is common phenomenon with international mail - the receiving post office doesn’t “link with” the sending post office’s IT system; they simply scan the package once it’s received by them, and it then appears in their tracking system. I’m currently waiting for a bunch of things sent from China, the US and Ireland to pop up in Australia Post’s tracking system; all of them are reported on the sending office’s system as having left the sending country, but none of them will appear on the Australia Post tracking system until Australia Post performs at least one process on them. In the present conditions weeks can pass between these two things.

API technologies actually makes this fairly straight forward, I would have thought that at the least E.U. countries would have moved on this by now

DHL Germany gives you the link to An Post, and is updated when it is delivered. Looking at an old one here now;
    Tracks it:
    arrival In Ireland
    Left import parcel centre
    Prepared for delivery
    Delivered

An Post is slightly more detailed than that.

• Advertisement

My parcel has checked into Dublin and been sorted. Will it have to go to Portlaoise first or will it be sent directly to the AnPost hub for my region?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I have an Amazon DE package on the way to me now from Germany. Tracking says it has gone from Germany to France, and left there last night heading to Ireland. Will see if it comes through next week, but there's nothing about it being delayed yet. They have stated the expected delivery is not till Monday week, Jan 18th though, so they are expecting it to take a bit longer than normal.

I had other international deliveries by An Post last week and this week though, with no issue. I would think this is some problem with DHL/Deutsche Post economy delivery more so than An Post.
    Amazon truck the parcels from Germany via road (and on the new France - Ireland direct shipping service) to an post hub. So in effect they are local parcels unaffected by airline restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’ve received 4 parcels in last week, including 2 from Germany, 1 from Turkey and 1 from UK. None were Amazon deliveries (private sellers) and all were posted around 3/4 Jan.

You should probably change the thread title as it is clearly wrong

statto25 wrote: »
    My parcel has checked into Dublin and been sorted. Will it have to go to Portlaoise first or will it be sent directly to the AnPost hub for my region?

Just gone to out for delivery in Mayo so no stopover in Portlaoise

EDit wrote: »
    I’ve received 4 parcels in last week, including 2 from Germany, 1 from Turkey and 1 from UK. None were Amazon deliveries (private sellers) and all were posted around 3/4 Jan.

You should probably change the thread title as it is clearly wrong

Incorrect, the issue is with An Post. There are more recent threads on this also An Post have stated themselves there are hold ups

• Advertisement

It's not all down to An Post. I'm quick enough to jump on them when they do wrong, but if there are little or no flights arriving in carrying mail they can't do anything about it. It's not up to them to get the mail in from other countries.

It's not all down to An Post. I'm quick enough to jump on them when they do wrong, but if there are little or no flights arriving in carrying mail they can't do anything about it. It's not up to them to get the mail in from other countries.

The package is in Ireland since January 6th

The package is in Ireland since January 6th

How do you know? Have An Post updated their tracking?

How do you know? Have An Post updated their tracking?

Nope I'm getting nothing from them except "it's not scanned yet", DHL tracking are telling me it's in Ireland since January 6th.

Advertisement