Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Countdown 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,842 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Baubles were first invented in Lauscha, by local man Hans Greiner, who first manufactured them in the  late 1840's The first baubles were fruit and nut shaped glass, eventually turning into a more spherical shape.

The Romans invented mulled wine as an efficient way to make unremarkable wine tastier and more aromatic.

At 11 am (our times) on Christmas Eve a country called Tonga will be one of the first countries celebrating Christmas Day.(I hope that makes sense)/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

One of the best selling toys of Christmas 1990 was the Lego Duplo Zoo it would have being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but there was there wasn't enough produced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The realisation that its 39 days to go in 2 days has really freaked me out.

the 100-1 countdown is on another planet on speed compared to 300-201 and 200-101.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's unbelievable, isn't it!!? 39 days means there is essentially one month to go. 😲

I think during this period it just gets so Christmasy the time just flies!

How The Flintstones saved Christmas aired on Christmas Day in 1964!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Advertisement

Funnily enough this is the time I feel we're in a Christmas limbo of sorts. Christmas stuff is appearing all over yet it seems too early to put up the decorations & go all out on the tunes etc. and I haven't quite gotten fully into the Christmas mood (to be fair it'll probably be work finishing up before that happens) so the next stage for me will be the LLTS weekend, with our decorations going up & Christmas FM launching on FM on the Sunday after... then I'll be as close to being in christmas mode as possible until the day I finish up work for the year.

As ever the time is flying by though... but then again, cliché's are cliché's for a reason 😀

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

You have just explained perfectly how I feel.

The OH's birthday is 30th November and I always feel like we can't get Christmassy until that is done.

I feel really in limbo at the moment

They are 222,000 Christmas lights in Oxford Street, London.

Wouldn't want to be checking them if they didn't work or untangling them!

Into the 30's....😯

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tom and Jerry the night before Christmas was released on December 6th 1941!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loved Tom and Jerry, why do they not show any of these anymore

I remember I had a colouring book of Tom and Jerry I coloured it so neatly

Was my favorite cartoon when i was younger, as well as 'Top Cat'.

Back when there was only 6/7 channels and only 1 showed cartoons!

I remember when we had 5 channels (RTE 1 RTE2, UTV, BBC1 & BBC2) ... still remember Channel 4 launching and the excitement generated for having a new channel!! Mad now when you see hundreds if not 1000's of channels available to us ( & still not having anything decent on to watch over christmas)

Totally, channel surf for ages and nothing on that I want to watch. Will most likely only watch a handful of things over Christmas, outside of movies.

Barely watch any scheduled TV these days (other than live sport) We tend to record (series link mostly) most things & watch them later so we can fast forward through the adverts.... though we did stop a few last night during bake off to watch the christmas ones 😀 dont see that changing much as time goes by, reckon even the TV channels will end up streaming and their associated 'players' will become the standard way to watch things and not by scheduled TV listings.

We would be the same. Yep, can see all channels going to a stream style set up, like Disney have, with no channels as such. The free ones can still get the ad revenue as you have to watch them first. I would prefer to pay, again like Disney, and have no ads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yeah, we'll have to dig out an aerial to watch the toy show. We moved the tv to the other end of the room this time last year and got a cable run behind the wall when the stove was going in. It stopped working after a couple of days so no we've to trail a cable (which we don't have) across the room or connect an aerial for RTE. Or cast it from the player via a phone or something.

Measuring a whopping 15.47 m (50 ft 9 in) long and 8.23 m (27 ft) wide, the largest Santa hat was created by children from Norway’s Chill Youth Club. The festive headgear, which took a total of three months to construct, was presented in Fredrikstad on 9 December 2008.

The Snowman was released on 26th of December 1982!

hard to keep the recommended advice!

• Advertisement

The candles on the Advent wreath symbolize hope, love, joy and peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Getting real close now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The original Miracle on 34th Street was released on June 11th 1947.

The remake was released on November 18th 1994.

The North Pole has no time zone also the sun rises and sets only once a year!

Santa Claus was known as Sinterklaas in Dutch

20's in 3 days is too scary for this time of the morning!

December 25 was probably chosen because it coincided with the ancient pagan festival Saturnalia, which celebrated the agricultural god Saturn with partying, gambling, and gift-giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

• Advertisement

We leave carrots for Santa Claus’ reindeer because, in Norse mythology, people left hay and treats for Odin’s eight-legged horse Sleipnir “in hopes the god would stop by their home during his Yule hunting adventures.” Dutch children adopted this tradition too, and would treats for St. Nick’s horse.

Rudolph was almost named Rollo or Reginald. Reginald the Red-Nosed Reindeer doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

20's here we are. Only seems the other day we were at 100!

Panic station territory!

The highest-grossing Christmas movie of all time is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The Jim Carey version.

Last weekly one outside the month of December!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What a gorgeous pic, DvB! 😊

Miriam O'Callaghan switched on the Christmas lights in Dublin on the 15th November 2009!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, Advent is here so Christmas not far behind. Advent Wreath first candle lit with Advent carols on youtube.

I chose not to have TV; so I can choose youtube goodies and avoid the hype. Gentle into the season.

Just my way, trimmed and settled over the decades .

Decorations next weekend

Post edited by Graces7 on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement