Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is RTE streaming so bad?

Options
  • 04-01-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

We watch Netflix and YouTube streamed to our tv from an iPad via a Google dongle.

It’s flawless.

We occasionally try to watch RTE the same way - we gave up Sky a couple of years ago, and the dish and box still tune in many channels, but not RTE - but, it’s appalling. Constant re-buffering is needed, meaning we see a few minutes every half-hour. For this we pay €160. It’s a disgrace.

1. Why doesn’t it stream like other services?
    2. Why isn’t RTE available to tune in with a satellite dish like 000s of other channels?

Why do I pay a license fee for something I can’t watch?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Buy a Soirview box and all your problems will be sorted and you will save e ergy from moaning in here about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,187 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ads fook it up, without the ads it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

The ads fook it up, without the ads it's perfect.

Not sure what you mean by that.

There are no ads when streaming, only a “program will resume shortly” notice. And, even this has to re-buffer.

I guess Saorview is the way to go. But, it shouldn’t have to be.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dinarius wrote:
    We occasionally try to watch RTE the same way - we gave up Sky a couple of years ago, and the dish and box still tune in many channels, but not RTE - but, it’s appalling. Constant re-buffering is needed, meaning we see a few minutes every half-hour. For this we pay €160. It’s a disgrace.

Funnily enough, Google and Netflix are making a fortune outta you, and from that, they're able to build some of the biggest servers on the planet, 160 is chicken feed to what those lads are making from you....

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Google and Netflix are making a fortune outta you, and from that, they're able to build some of the biggest servers on the planet, 160 is chicken feed to what those lads are making from you....

We watch about 1-2 hours TV per day. It's almost exclusively Netflix. Just a little BBC, which we still receive via our (now free) Sky box.

I guess if you could tune-in RTE, Virgin, etc. via your Sky box, then most of us would sign up to Sky for a year for the box and dish and then dump them. (Most of what's available via a dish is garbage and most of us watch the same 1-5 channels every week.)

So, not being able to tune RTE via Sky box protects Sky to some extent and gives Saorview a revenue stream via the sale of yet another box.

To be honest, we'll probably stay as we are. It's a pity the RTE streaming is poor, but if it was as good as Netflix, who would buy another box?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You could replace your Sky box with a combined Saorview/Satellite box. it is easier to use for and you would have all channels on one box. You would of course need a Saorview aerial but you might bet away with an indoor aerial depending on signal and your location.
    At least consider doing this if / when your Sky box fails or needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’d like to add, why are there 5+ ads then ads every 15 mins and if it crashes like it does always you have to sit through the ads again.

It’s a total disgrace in my opinion, with the money thrown at RTE surely they could hire a few students to build it right.

I wonder what data they provide to advertisers in terms
    of how many ad views they expect...

Dinarius wrote:
    To be honest, we'll probably stay as we are. It's a pity the RTE streaming is poor, but if it was as good as Netflix, who would buy yet another box?

State broadcasters simply can't compete with these streaming services, as they're simply gigantic monopolies, how can a state compete against free or almost free to use services? Free to use is a critical component of the business models of these companies, but it means, no one else can compete against them, so they simply monopolize streaming markets. From this position, they can create some of the largest infrastructure on the planet in order to have flawless, or near flawless streaming, baring in mind, a proportion of the backbone infrastructure is state funded, I.e. with your taxes, so win win, for them.

I've spent lockdown investigating 'alternative' streaming sources, some really good services out there, some really sh1te ones to though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Dinarius wrote: »
    2. Why isn’t RTE available to tune in with a satellite dish like 000s of other channels?

It would cost too much to clear programming rights for the UK.

RTÉ is there for you to watch if you connect an aerial to the television.

For some reason that’s beyond my knowledge I find it streams way better from an android device, so you could buy a cheap one of them. It just seems to work better on some platforms - my iPad is rubbish for it buffering, the app on my samsung tv is like looking through cling film, but on the shield tv or from an android phone it does be bang on.

Other platforms like Netflix and Amazon just work on everything.

• Advertisement

I watch RTE, Netflix and YouTube on my TV via a (€35) Google dongle, which is controlled/accessed from an iPad.

So, the setup is identical for all three, but RTE is unwatchable.

I have no idea of the technology involved. I'm presuming it's down to lack of signal strength. But, whatever the reason is, is it really a question of not being able to compete with the likes of Netflix money and tech? I wonder.

D.

For some reason that’s beyond my knowledge I find it streams way better from an android device, so you could buy a cheap one of them. It just seems to work better on some platforms - my iPad is rubbish for it buffering, the app on my samsung tv is like looking through cling film, but on the shield tv or from an android phone it does be bang on.

Interesting. I sometimes use my iPhone, instead of the iPad, for Netflix and YouTube on my TV - also perfect.

But, I will try the RTE Player app via my wife's Android phone.

Thanks for the tip.

D.

Interesting. I sometimes use my iPhone, instead of the iPad, for Netflix and YouTube on my TV - also perfect.

But, I will try the RTE Player app via my wife's Android phone.

Thanks for the tip.

D.

Worth a look anyway. Maybe I just do be lucky and I’m casting to a shield tv instead of a chrome cast but it might work. I never had any real success casting rte from an iOS device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I’d like to add, why are there 5+ ads then ads every 15 mins and if it crashes like it does always you have to sit through the ads again.

It’s a total disgrace in my opinion, with the money thrown at RTE surely they could hire a few students to build it right.

I wonder what data they provide to advertisers in terms
    of how many ad views they expect...

Unwatchable, rte is a **** show, TG4 is great though

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Netflix and the BBC IPlayer use Amazon web services to host their content which RTE could just as easily use as their server, these days it’s not really about building a server instead you just rent space on a bigger server.

This would also probably be cheaper for RTE in the long run as currently they are presumably running off their own server which will need to be built to meet high demand (like the toy show at Christmas) but then sit under utilised the rest of the year.
    However if they rented server space from Amazon, Amazon then can dynamically provide more bandwidth during these peak periods without the need for RTE to build a massive server.

Presumably the reason RTE have not done this is because providing a quality service is not high up on their agenda

Unwatchable, rte is a **** show, TG4 is great though

Want to change a setting? guess you have to watch the ads again.

Skip button? Nah

Gambling and drinking? - hell yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Agree about rte player and the ads problem.

I installed the rte app on the firestick though. It doesn't do live shows but its perfect for past shows. No add at all so far....no pauses either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

Netflix and the BBC IPlayer use Amazon web services to host their content which RTE could just as easily use as their server, these days it’s not really about building a server instead you just rent space on a bigger server.

They are leveraging AWS for some site host hosting but alas I think they may be hosting video content on site. The mp4 GET requests are coming from vod-edge.rte.ie [89.207.56.161]

yankinlk wrote: »
    Agree about rte player and the ads problem.

I installed the rte app on the firestick though. It doesn't do live shows but its perfect for past shows. No add at all so far....no pauses either

Interesting I have an LG smart TV with the app - wonder is it just a case they haven’t figured out how to put ads on the fire stick version yet?

This would also probably be cheaper for RTE in the long run as currently they are presumably running off their own server which will need to be built to meet high demand (like the toy show at Christmas) but then sit under utilised the rest of the year.
    However if they rented server space from Amazon, Amazon then can dynamically provide more bandwidth during these peak periods without the need for RTE to build a massive server.

Presumably the reason RTE have not done this is because providing a quality service is not high up on their agenda

its important to remember, all of these corporate monopolies use and support each others systems and networks, as its mutually beneficial for sharing data, this data is the backbone of their business models, and is where the majority of their wealth comes from, from buying and selling this data to each other. of course rte could use amazons servers, but that would probably mean easier access to our data, to be used for whatever purposes amazon wish to use it for.

• Advertisement

We watch Netflix and YouTube streamed to our tv from an iPad via a Google dongle.

It’s flawless.

1. Why doesn’t it stream like other services?

D.

We watched the six one news via the player last night then switched over to stream Sky News. The difference in quality was remarkable. Sky was crystal clear, louder sound and it paused to buffer once in an hour. the RTE player buffered every 5 minutes.

We watched the six one news via the player last night then switched over to stream Sky News. The difference in quality was remarkable. Sky was crystal clear, louder sound and it paused to buffer once in an hour. the RTE player buffered every 5 minutes.

again, streams such as sky news are free to use for a reason, they are data gathering services, this is how they make money from you, and lots of it

its important to remember, all of these corporate monopolies use and support each others systems and networks, as its mutually beneficial for sharing data, this data is the backbone of their business models, and is where the majority of their wealth comes from, from buying and selling this data to each other. of course rte could use amazons servers, but that would probably mean easier access to our data, to be used for whatever purposes amazon wish to use it for.

If it meant a better service, I don't care if Amazon knows I watched Six One News and Reeling in the Years(about the only things I watch on RTE).

Are you suggesting a company that hires goons to check if you have a tele gives a rats ass about your personal data?

If it meant a better service, I don't care if Amazon knows I watched Six One News and Reeling in the Years(about the only things I watch on RTE).

they are gathering far more information than what you re watching, its now actually possible to know when a couple are just about to be divorced before they decide to, from their online activities, this is the type of information that is being gathered

Are you suggesting a company that hires goons to check if you have a tele gives a rats ass about your personal data?

most data analysis is being conducted by software, i.e. algorithms etc, only a small proportion would be analyzed by human, more interesting and important information id imagine

most data analysis is being conducted by software, i.e. algorithms etc, only a small proportion would be analyzed by human, more interesting and important information id imagine

Working in the industry I can tell you google, Facebook etc do not care about you getting a divorce, they care about selling that data to the solicitor so his ad pops up on your screen.

It’s all assumptions based nothing is fact. Eg software sees you went to dating app, therefore assume single.

Your over 40 and on a dating app, assume getting divorce.

Point being it can only work with what you give it. You can always clear your history and cache and not log into stuff to stop browser tracking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It's possible. Look at 4OD.

Working in the industry I can tell you google, Facebook etc do not care about you getting a divorce, they care about selling that data to the solicitor so his ad pops up on your screen.

It’s all assumptions based nothing is fact. Eg software sees you went to dating app, therefore assume single.

Your over 40 and on a dating app, assume getting divorce.

Point being it can only work with what you give it. You can always clear your history and cache and not log into stuff to stop browser tracking :)

unless you re a high level employee, i suspect you have very little access or knowledge to what actually goes on in these companies, not belittling you or your position, the divorce information comes from economist pippa malmgren, she owns an it company herself, effectively, she knows the game.

clearing your cache does little or nothing, as soon as your device connects to these services, the data gathering begins, noting, some of these devices never truly disconnect from these services, ever. the only way to truly prevent info gathering, is to never connect to these services, which in the modern world, is virtually impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

unless you re a high level employee, i suspect you have very little access or knowledge to what actually goes on in these companies, not belittling you or your position, the divorce information comes from economist pippa malmgren, she owns an it company herself, effectively, she knows the game.

clearing your cache does little or nothing, as soon as your device connects to these services, the data gathering begins, noting, some of these devices never truly disconnect from these services, ever. the only way to truly prevent info gathering, is to never connect to these services, which in the modern world, is virtually impossible

So RTÉ player is great then?

Advertisement