Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

New Developments in Cork

  • 04-01-2021 7:55pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ Spideoige


    Hi all,

    Just browsing through the current threads open on here and thought it would be interesting to open a discussion on new developments in Cork. Seems to me that a large number of new developments are at capacity for their respective phases but I would be interested to hear of any new developments coming forward and more so, any potentially more affordable options to those currently on offer.


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ IHateNewShoes


    I know the next phase of Heathfield in Ballincollig are due to come on stream shortly and are due to have 3 bed's (not sure where in the development they are). The last phase only had 4 beds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭ Lia_lia


    I know the next phase of Heathfield in Ballincollig are due to come on stream shortly and are due to have 3 bed's (not sure where in the development they are). The last phase only had 4 beds.

    This went up yesterday and from what I’ve heard all houses sold out in 5 minutes! Mental.

    Anyone aware of any other new developments coming up in Cork? There are a few on Daft but the majority seem to be sold out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Great idea for a thread.

    There is a new scheme in Tower called Gleann Fia that is in the first phase as far as I know. Same with Castle Court in Whitechurch.

    To be honest most schemes are a few phases in or sold at this stage. Not much new sites l hitting the ground yet.

    When we originally looked at a new build in Blarney of Cluain Ard, it was phase one which wasn’t advertised. It was actually our solicitor who brought it to our attention as she was familiar with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭ Lia_lia


    Yeah I’ve had a look at Gleann Fia, driven passed there a few times. The houses seem very cheap compared to other new developments at the moment so wondering is there a catch? As far as I can tell they built the houses already there years ago but now are building onto the estate. It’s in a sort of awkward location as you can’t really walk into Tower from there due to the road being quite dangerous.

    There’s also a new estate being built in Kerry Pike where the glasshouses used to be. It looks like the first phase is ready but nothing actually launched yet. As far as I know it’s O’Brien/O’Flynn. Strange there’s been no launch when they are built already. Unless it’s social housing.

    Don’t know much about Whitechurch but those houses do look lovely.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭ Papa_Lazarou


    Lia_lia wrote: »
    This went up yesterday and from what I’ve heard all houses sold out in 5 minutes! Mental.

    Anyone aware of any other new developments coming up in Cork? There are a few on Daft but the majority seem to be sold out.

    4 bed semis went up to 399k in this phase whis seems mad.

    They have started clearing the land for the Cairn Estate in castetreasure on the carraigaline Road in MaryBorough. A mix of houses and apartments.

    I've put down a deposit on a 4 bed semi in castelheights in Carrigaline, a bit further out but with them starting a relief road next month and the future motorway it should make it a lot more accessible.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ IHateNewShoes


    Crazy money if you ask me.. When you consider what you’d get on the second hand market for it, even factoring in the HTB. People blinded by the HTB in my opinion!


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭ Lia_lia


    Crazy money if you ask me.. When you consider what you’d get on the second hand market for it, even factoring in the HTB. People blinded by the HTB in my opinion!

    Houses seem to be going a good bit over asking in the second hand market and often need a lot of work done. I much prefer the idea of second hand houses myself but 4 bed houses relatively close to the city that are affordable and don't need much work done aren't easy to find at the moment. Hopefully things will pickup whenever viewings are allowed again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ Spideoige


    4 bed semis went up to 399k in this phase whis seems mad.

    They have started clearing the land for the Cairn Estate in castetreasure on the carraigaline Road in MaryBorough. A mix of houses and apartments.

    I've put down a deposit on a 4 bed semi in castelheights in Carrigaline, a bit further out but with them starting a relief road next month and the future motorway it should make it a lot more accessible.

    I was looking at Castleheights but it seems an awful hill to ascend if you were considering going to do grocery shopping by foot. I see that there's a site just south of Castleheights that got permission for 60 houses and I've heard mumblings that they are starting to develop soon but I haven't seen anything advertised. The application was under some company called Dothraki Developments.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve had a look at Gleann Fia, driven passed there a few times. The houses seem very cheap compared to other new developments at the moment so wondering is there a catch? As far as I can tell they built the houses already there years ago but now are building onto the estate. It’s in a sort of awkward location as you can’t really walk into Tower from there due to the road being quite dangerous.

    There’s also a new estate being built in Kerry Pike where the glasshouses used to be. It looks like the first phase is ready but nothing actually launched yet. As far as I know it’s O’Brien/O’Flynn. Strange there’s been no launch when they are built already. Unless it’s social housing.

    Don’t know much about Whitechurch but those houses do look lovely.

    I’m not sure what the Barter Woods houses are going for now in this phase but they would be competing with them but Barters Wood look gorgeous. However I’d be worried where they are built as the field has flooded.

    Kerry pike’s Clonara was an old planning permission that the builders took over and got extensions to. The big selling point was there was no part v there as part v wasn’t a thing under the planning. However from friends I know living there the newest phase is a whole new planning permission so the estate has ended up being bigger than residents thought and they aren’t happy about it.

    Kerry pike has a few planning permissions approved so would love to see them go ahead.

    I know there is another site near there glass house that has houses being built but according to Facebook they are council houses. If that’s the case, they are fab looking ones. Are they the ones maybe you have seen?

    The glass house site has planning but don’t think anything has come of it yet. Same with the old crèche in Kerry pike. That’s planning for 21 houses.

    Whitechurch is similar to Clonara. It’s an older planning permission from a builder now gone bust which has been extended. So I say they would have a different look to the house than other new builds to fit in with what is there now.

    I think a new development of Hazel Brooke gone up in Mallow. My sister is buying a second hand house and I think the site is very close by.

    Anybody know if Harper’s Creek In Glounthaune has any more phases left?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭ Lia_lia


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    I’m not sure what the Barter Woods houses are going for now in this phase but they would be competing with them but Barters Wood look gorgeous. However I’d be worried where they are built as the field has flooded.

    Kerry pike’s Clonara was an old planning permission that the builders took over and got extensions to. The big selling point was there was no part v there as part v wasn’t a thing under the planning. However from friends I know living there the newest phase is a whole new planning permission so the estate has ended up being bigger than residents thought and they aren’t happy about it.

    Kerry pike has a few planning permissions approved so would love to see them go ahead.

    I know there is another site near there glass house that has houses being built but according to Facebook they are council houses. If that’s the case, they are fab looking ones. Are they the ones maybe you have seen?

    The glass house site has planning but don’t think anything has come of it yet. Same with the old crèche in Kerry pike. That’s planning for 21 houses.

    Whitechurch is similar to Clonara. It’s an older planning permission from a builder now gone bust which has been extended. So I say they would have a different look to the house than other new builds to fit in with what is there now.

    I think a new development of Hazel Brooke gone up in Mallow. My sister is buying a second hand house and I think the site is very close by.

    Anybody know if Harper’s Creek In Glounthaune has any more phases left?

    Thanks for all that info. We looked at Barter’s Wood and the houses are lovely but a few locals that we know warned us about flooding so we said no way.

    I’ve a few friends living in Clonlara and they love it there. Nice houses. We probably would have bought on if we were looking to buy a few years ago. Shame there’s so little in terms of amenities in Kerry Pike.

    I was sure there were glass houses on both sides of the road? Maybe I’m wrong. But yes. Those are the ones I’d say. Had a feeling they were council alright when I hadn’t seen them advertised.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info. We looked at Barter’s Wood and the houses are lovely but a few locals that we know warned us about flooding so we said no way.

    I’ve a few friends living in Clonlara and they love it there. Nice houses. We probably would have bought on if we were looking to buy a few years ago. Shame there’s so little in terms of amenities in Kerry Pike.

    I was sure there were glass houses on both sides of the road? Maybe I’m wrong. But yes. Those are the ones I’d say. Had a feeling they were council alright when I hadn’t seen them advertised.


    Think your right actually - there is glass houses on both sides. There is planning granted for it but no works started. O Flynn have a site across from the Woodlands estate with planning granted for years but again nothing then. Clonlara was reasonable in the first two phases but the cost of them now is really expensive.

    One of the local councillors had something up on Facebook about new houses so I just assumed social housing.

    I really wish the area would at least get a bus route. There is loads of planning put in due to proximity to Ballincollig, Blarney and of course Apple.

    O Leary and O sullivan builders build around the Blarney area a lot. You could check with their sales agent on any new sites. Again talks of them having another site in Blarney by golf course but could just be talk. I know they have another site in Whites Cross but that could be all sold.

    I read another new build site is due to start in Whites Cross but I haven’t seen anything started.

    Carrigtwohill seems to have new builds for sale in so hopefully they start soon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    O Flynn’s have had planning permission for Another site in Kerry Pike near be garden centre since 2001 ish. There is now a site notice plan gone up for the start of 60 houses - presume works will commence soon as they wrap up Clonara. But if anybody is looking for new builds in that area might be worth getting onto them to see when the go for sale.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭ dancinpants


    Planning gone in for a very large development just out the Waterfall Road past Bishopstown. First application was refused so it will be interesting to see how this goes. It's a lovely area and the houses look nice, but it's a huge development with 280 houses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ Shoden


    How good are O'Flynns? Build quality etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Shoden wrote: »
    How good are O'Flynns? Build quality etc.

    They would be one of the biggest builders in Cork. They have done loads of estates - Clonlara in Kerry Pike, Ballinglanna in Glanmire, Drakes Point in Crosshaven. So if you took a drive through those estates you’d get a feel for their estates.

    We had looked at one of their new builds before and asked an engineer I know about them. He said he has two builders in a Cork he’s never had an issue with on snags (as it only minor issues) and that’s is O Flynn’s and O Leary & O Sullivan.

    I’ve had friends in new builds from both builders and have had no issues and said are nice builders are to deal with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Planning gone in for a very large development just out the Waterfall Road past Bishopstown. First application was refused so it will be interesting to see how this goes. It's a lovely area and the houses look nice, but it's a huge development with 280 houses.

    That would be interesting to see how that goes (and the prices if it goes through) because nothing new on that scale has been built around there for a long time as far as I’m aware.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭ Lia_lia


    Yeah O’Flynns have been around for years. They have a great reputation and any estate of theirs I have viewed has been lovely. We spoke with an engineer that snagged an estate we were looking at (not going to say where but sold out now) and he said to avoid that particular estate but to go with an estate by O’Flynns, O'Leary O’Sullivan or Murnane & O'Shea.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yeah O’Flynns have been around for years. They have a great reputation and any estate of theirs I have viewed has been lovely. We spoke with an engineer that snagged an estate we were looking at (not going to say where but sold out now) and he said to avoid that particular estate but to go with an estate by O’Flynns, O'Leary O’Sullivan or Murnane & O'Shea.


    Yes heard great things about Murnane & O'Shea - they seem to be doing the Elmbury Estate in Carrigtowhill at the moment along with Heathfield (I think - which looks lovely) We got a list of estates/builders to avoid but don’t want to say either on boards.

    The general advice our engineer said if they were a builder tipping away during the recession, they will be good (as all those builders have been) but to watch builders that are new companies or maybe it’s their first estate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Winegum1


    Elmbury carrigtwohill just opened up new phase.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Winegum1


    Sorry didn't know how to make the pics show.
    One is the price list for new phase of Elmbury


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Winegum1 wrote: »
    Sorry didn't know how to make the pics show.
    One is the price list for new phase of Elmbury

    They are now all reserved so those sold quick!


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Winegum1


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    They are now all reserved so those sold quick!

    Wow. I got the email this morning at 11 telling me they were now available and I just got an email at 4 saying all reserved. That's crazy fast


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Winegum1 wrote: »
    Wow. I got the email this morning at 11 telling me they were now available and I just got an email at 4 saying all reserved. That's crazy fast

    It’s a great area especially with the train station. There hasn’t had anything built there since the boom times but even I was surprised at that as it’s the second phase and nothing much really seems to started yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ Klopp


    I didn't receive any notifications from Savills for this launch. I rang to be added to the cancellation list, doubtful anything will come of it now as the list is probably 30+


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    Klopp wrote: »
    I didn't receive any notifications from Savills for this launch. I rang to be added to the cancellation list, doubtful anything will come of it now as the list is probably 30+


    Sorry to hear that! It’s so difficult at the moment even securing new builds. It seems like people need to keep an eye on developments and following up yourself. You never knew though with the cancellation list.


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ Klopp


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that! It’s so difficult at the moment even securing new builds. It seems like people need to keep an eye on developments and following up yourself. You never knew though with the cancellation list.


    Yes, that's true, you can be on all the list and still not hear anything. This phase was gone before it was really knowing i suspect.


  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Seaandwind


    Klopp wrote: »
    I didn't receive any notifications from Savills for this launch. I rang to be added to the cancellation list, doubtful anything will come of it now as the list is probably 30+

    It went to my junk mail, might have happened others as well!


  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ Klopp


    Seaandwind wrote: »
    It went to my junk mail, might have happened others as well!


    I checked and regularly do most days waiting on something but nothing. There is no point complaining to them, they have a hard enough job as is with the demand i am sure. I got put on the cancellation list in case anything comes up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Dolbhad


    A new development coming up in Glounthaune called Lackenroe. It’s by Citidwell if people are looking at developments. However I’ve a colleague who bought in another development by that builder and well, it wasn’t a glowing reference of the work.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ Spideoige


    Dolbhad wrote: »
    A new development coming up in Glounthaune called Lackenroe. It’s by Citidwell if people are looking at developments. However I’ve a colleague who bought in another development by that builder and well, it wasn’t a glowing reference of the work.

    What were their issues? Citidwell seem to be cropping up a lot in recent years.


Advertisement