Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say something bad about universally revered person?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/johnny-cash-secret-love-child-haunts-family-johnny-cheated-on-wife-june-carter-with-sister-anita-carter/amp/

I like Johnny Cash. He sounded good, had charisma and presence. But he did a lot of bad stuff. Like impregnating his sister in law Anita.

Arduach wrote: »

I like Johnny Cash. He sounded good, had charisma and presence. But he did a lot of bad stuff. Like impregnating his sister...

:eek::eek::eek:

... in law Anita.

Not great, but that just makes him not a Saint.

:eek::eek::eek:

Not great, but that just makes him not a Saint.

Impregnating your sister in law is a bit beyond not being a saint IMO. Having an affair is not being a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Balmed Out wrote: »
    An awful lot of rock stars of the David Bowie, led zeppelin, elvis, rolling stones, marvin gaye generations who took advantage of a groupie culture. No proof against any but enough accusations that id tend to think that many were guilty of statutory rape. The only one that comes to mind that are reviled for it is jerry lee lewis who married his underage cousin if memory serves.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Shane McGowan - A pathetic excuse for a man who is excused a lifetime of sh1ttiness because "he's a wonderful poet" - he wrote 2-3 songs with lyrics worthy of remembrance, and with plenty of help from the rest of the band.
    I mean, say what you want about McGowan, but he was off his head almost permanently for 40 years and there are no accusations of rape or assault against him. He's a guy who just wanted to get fvcked up and party. Absolute nightmare to work with because you'd never know where he was or what state he was in. The Pogues had to postpone a US tour one time because McGowan was so ****ed up U.S. immigration wouldn't let him onto the flight, and then he disappeared for 48 hours.
    But I've never heard anyone say he was a horrible bastard while drunk.

Virtually every other music star between 1960 and 1990 was involved in dating and banging underage girls or just outright raping groupies.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Strumms wrote: »
    They didn’t like loosing..

Show me a good looser and ill show you a looser ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

retalivity wrote: »
    Her support of people and comments who said all Gardai are racist and legitimate targets for attack has seen her get hammered over the last few days.

Prior to that, I dunno....being ethnically Asian, in the green party and mayor of Dublin probably had her as a target for a lot of (sad) people.

She seems like an utterly vile fûckwit...

I don’t think being green, Asian or being a mayor is exactly painting a target on anyone’s back.... literally scores of people have held that position from across the political spectrum...,we’ve had mayors from across the whole range including green who just got on with doing their best to represent and work for their city in a fair, all inclusive responsible manner.

This yoke on the other hand...is a divisive, shît stirring, attention seeking, dangerous individual, pandering to certain ‘demographics’ rather then to right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Ekerot wrote: »
    Why do people hate Hazel Chu so much?
    Cos she says she is irish yet hates us and wants to stop us expressing ourselves. irish people have always expressed themselves we are the land of saints & scholars & writers after all.

She is over weight and wont do anything about it therefore promoting unhealthy living.
    She is 'woking' the mayoral office and never stops going on about racism & hate while never actually examining the information & facts

that the plantation of n ethnic race from a hot country onto a cold white island in the atlantic -with 90 % white people is not really working here or in europe and wont work unless they integrate and adopt our work ethic and pay tax like the rest of us. They must change not change us .

Mod: Banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Muhammed Ali. A raging racist and womanizer but sure it's all good because he was a great boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I try give everyone a second chance.

But Shane Byrne the ex rugby player is not nice and even though he not celebrity his brother is up there as biggest prick I have ever met and not saying that lightly.

Or as he is better known in the industry;

"No Shame Byrne"

He would sell his own granny for abit of media attention.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kirk Douglas. When he died recently he was treated like Hollywood royalty.
    He was a serial cheat and mysogonist.
    He raped and hospitalised child star Natalie Wood when she was sixteen. He said if she told anyone he would kill her. Wood's mother wouldn't take her daughter to the police because she thought it would damage her daughter's career :(

Elvis was a trucker in his younger days before his career took off.
    He is supposed to have told someone that late one night when he was driving a truck through the desert he hit and killed a man.
    He dragged the body into the desert and drove on, he never heard any more about it.

• Advertisement

Or as he is better known in the industry;

"No Shame Byrne"

He would sell his own granny for abit of media attention.

I think I saw that episode.

Elvis was a trucker in his younger days before his career took off.
    He is supposed to have told someone that late one night when he was driving a truck through the desert he hit and killed a man.
    He dragged the body into the desert and drove on, he never heard any more about it.

I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Sounds like a CT.

Florence Nightingale may have been attributed to creating modern nursing, but she had some strange beliefs herself. Wasn't exactly a feminist in a time when women didn't even have the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Cos she says she is irish yet hates us and wants to stop us expressing ourselves. irish people have always expressed themselves we are the land of saints & scholars & writers after all.

She is over weight and wont do anything about it therefore promoting unhealthy living.
    She is 'woking' the mayoral office and never stops going on about racism & hate while never actually examining the information & facts

that the plantation of n ethnic race from a hot country onto a cold white island in the atlantic -with 90 % white people is not really working here or in europe and wont work unless they integrate and adopt our work ethic and pay tax like the rest of us. They must change not change us .

You seem like a pleasant individual.

fryup wrote: »
    Jack Charlton, yes i know he's recently deceased and respect for the dead and all that and yes he helped to raise the profile of football in this country......but, my god his style of football was truly awful to watch

He took advantage of a then soccer naive country (80's eire) he got away with tactical murder and secretly he knew it, he bullied journalists who questioned him and Eamon Dunphy was dead right to criticize his tactics during his tenure as Ireland manager.

"put em under pressure" :rolleyes: give me a break it was a caveman football

Hasn't it come full circle though? The style of play would now be called "the press" or "the gegenpress" if you are a hipster.

I heard him explain his approach to Ireland tactically, he had watched every team in Mexico '86, they all played the same way, through a playmaker. Recognising he didn't have the players who could play that way, he devised the put em under pressure strategy, to get the crowd involved, and to get the opposition sweating and uncomfortable.

You know what? It worked. He got us to 3 major tournaments when we had never qualified for a single one before. Yes he had talented players, but he got us to the big time, and he fostered a great morale in the camp, letting the players have the pints every now and again.

Muhammed Ali. A raging racist and womanizer but sure it's all good because he was a great boxer.

Agree. But I think half the reverance comes from opposing Vietnam as much as his boxing skills.

But yeah, the white man is a blue eyed devil. His treatment of Joe Frazier lead to death threats to the later and he had to pull his kids out of school.

If people looked with a critical eye at Muhammed Ali and Trump, there is only one of them who is racist.

Great pick BTW. I want to believe Ali is the funny cool guy in his good videos. But the grown up part of me knows that he had a very openly racist dark side. Some of his interviews with Parkinson are not nearly as nice as we are meant to think. He was loud, shouty and quite rude to Parky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Maybe not universally revered and more so looked back with fondness, but I never got how Amy Winehouse's death was so mourned. She essentially drank herself to death and refused to address her addiction issues. If she was a fella dying the same way, there wouldn't be half the pity. And her version of Valerie isn't anywhere near as good as The Zuton's original, yet seems to be the go-to song played on the radio.

Same goes with Peaches Geldof. Overdosed, leaving two young kids behind. Reversal of genders there and again it would be seen as vile.

Maybe not universally revered and more so looked back with fondness, but I never got how Amy Winehouse's death was so mourned. She essentially drank herself to death and refused to address her addiction issues. If she was a fella dying the same way, there wouldn't be half the pity. And her version of Valerie isn't anywhere near as good as The Zuton's original, yet seems to be the go-to song played on the radio.

'They tried to make me go to Rehab
    But I said no, no, no'

Didn't really work out for her. But, falls more into tragic than bad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Esho

Same goes with Peaches Geldof. Overdosed, leaving two young kids behind. Reversal of genders there and again it would be seen as vile.

I felt very sorry for Any Winehouse after seeing that biopic- sensitive girl child trying to kill the pain of having a hobnead dad through substance abuse. Then died while she was more or less on the mend.

Sorry for any addict, tragic life and death- maybe Peaches was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Balmed Out wrote: »
    An awful lot of rock stars of the David Bowie, led zeppelin, elvis, rolling stones, marvin gaye generations who took advantage of a groupie culture. No proof against any but enough accusations that id tend to think that many were guilty of statutory rape. The only one that comes to mind that are reviled for it is jerry lee lewis who married his underage cousin if memory serves.

Firstly, which of them are "universally revered"?

Secondly, I think your point belongs in another thread -

Young men, money no object, supplied with drugs and alcohol allegedly behaved in a fashion that is inappropriate judged by 2021 popular culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Firstly, which of them are "universally revered"?

Secondly, I think your point belongs in another thread -

Young men, money no object, supplied with drugs and alcohol allegedly behaved in a fashion that is inappropriate judged by 2021 popular culture.

No one is universally revered, they are as much as anyone else on this thread.
    Most young men wouldn't behave like that and just because media and law enforcement turned a blind eye in the past doesn't mean we should continue to ignore. Where would you draw the line elvis, bowie, brendan smith, harvey weinstein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Mother Theresa.

Evil wench who inflicted needless suffering on people in her "care"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Agree. But I think half the reverance comes from opposing Vietnam as much as his boxing skills.

But yeah, the white man is a blue eyed devil. His treatment of Joe Frazier lead to death threats to the later and he had to pull his kids out of school.

Ali was revered for this but it could be also argued that he could also be a called a coward for not going to war for his country,plenty of his fellow black men went to war against "the yellow man" when they were called
    Everyone could have avoided the call up and gladly done Alis "punishment".

His diatribes against Joe Frazier were disgusting which Frazier never forgave and Joe famously had an answerphone recording on his cell phone up to his death with a dig at Ali about who fuc@ed up who, and who was still compus.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Mother Theresa.

Evil wench who inflicted needless suffering on people in her "care"

That sounds insane. The words Mother Theresa for me are a euphemism for a saintly angel who cares for others.

tipptom wrote: »
    Ali was revered for this but it could be also argued that he could also be a called a coward for not going to war for his country,plenty of his fellow black men went to war against "the yellow man" when they were called

His diatribes against Joe Frazier were disgusting which Frazier never forgave and Joe famously had an answerphone recording on his cell phone up to his death with a dig at Ali about who fuc@ed up who, and who was still compus.

The stand against Vietnam was courageous because it was against the grain of what was common. All boxers like Joe Louis in WWII did was a bit of touring of the front and putting on exhibitions for the troops. So being a coward is wrong, he was never going to be fighting. He wasn't the first courageous man accused of draft dodging, Jack Dempsey WW1 had less excuses.

That's info from the Thrilla in Manilla HBO documentary. Joe was wronged but holding on to the bitterness did him no good. He was fairly shook himself and died in November 2011 from liver cancer, before Ali.

That sounds insane. The words Mother Theresa for me are a euphemism for a saintly angel who cares for others.
    Right? One of the most successful propaganda campaigns of the twentieth century.

Teresa ran many hospices where she gathered people off the street and brought them to suffer as a group. No treatment was provided at these hospices except food, water and prayer.

Pain medications were specifically not used because Teresa and the order she belonged to, believed that suffering brought one closer to God and thus the more you suffered before death, the more righteous your ascension.

All of the money her charities collected for the poor and sick of Calcutta were used to build more hospices, not to provide better care for the people in the existing ones.

"Better to die with food in your belly and a roof over your head", you might say. Which is true, except that a huge number of these people died of illnesses which could have be cured with basic medications such as antibiotics or simple surgical procedures.
    And I imagine someone writhing in agony might prefer for their suffering to end quickly, dehydrated on the streets, than prolonged for weeks on a bed surrounded by nuns praying for you.

Of course, when Teresa herself fell gravely ill, she didn't suffer. She was flown urgently to be treated to world-class care in Switzerland.

It was an absolute con of the highest order. A perfect example of how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Man, this thread is savage. Knives out* Begrudgers assemble* hahaha

I read something on Ali a couple of years back that gave me a lot more compassion for his position.

Basically he was the world champion, unbeatable at the time, but was still treated worse than a dog when he got home. Fanfares and honours that were typically bestowed on white athletes were all denied to him, sporting institutions snubbed him.

He realised then that the treatment of black people in the US was never just a matter of gaining respect - black people would never be respected no matter what they did.

As a result he basically boycotted the cultural norms at the time as he saw them all as extensions of white culture and tools to keep black people down. His refusal to go to Vietnam was a part of that; it was a white man's war. White America saw an opportunity to strip a troublemaker of his titles, Ali just saw another attempt at black oppression.

It doesn't excuse his racism, but it certainly makes it a lot more understandable. If you treat someone badly, it can hardly be a surprise when they turn on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

seamus wrote: »
    Right? One of the most successful propaganda campaigns of the twentieth century.

Teresa ran many hospices where she gathered people off the street and brought them to suffer as a group. No treatment was provided at these hospices except food, water and prayer.

Pain medications were specifically not used because Teresa and the order she belonged to, believed that suffering brought one closer to God and thus the more you suffered before death, the more righteous your ascension.

All of the money her charities collected for the poor and sick of Calcutta were used to build more hospices, not to provide better care for the people in the existing ones.

"Better to die with food in your belly and a roof over your head", you might say. Which is true, except that a huge number of these people died of illnesses which could have be cured with basic medications such as antibiotics or simple surgical procedures.
    And I imagine someone writhing in agony might prefer for their suffering to end quickly, dehydrated on the streets, than prolonged for weeks on a bed surrounded by nuns praying for you.

Of course, when Teresa herself fell gravely ill, she didn't suffer. She was flown urgently to be treated to world-class care in Switzerland.

It was an absolute con of the highest order. A perfect example of how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Well, to be fair, she missed her first calling as a top model. She grabbed all she could in true capitalistic fashion. Can't argue with success. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tipptom wrote: »

Not being an idiot is something he should be lauded for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Maybe one for the older kids but once upon a time Carlos Castaneda was a big deal. He was dubbed the godfather of the New Age and in our foolish youth us eejits who read all his books on Don Juan and Yacqui shamanism would try to find our hands in our dreams and other curious things. He was a big influencer of counter culture.. John Lennon was mad for him. Later I read Amy Wallaces memoir about living with the absolute tool. A violent egotistical cruel charlatan. Several women committed suicide as a result of living with him. He was a proper nasty little twerp.

Whenever he wrote that he was in the jungle meeting with a certain tribe and having amazing adventures they found out later that he was actually in his college library at the time, checking out books on those very same tribes.
    All his wild adventures were pure fiction. Spoofer :rolleyes:

Advertisement