Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel is an essential part of growth into a mature, well-rounded adult

Options
  • 03-01-2021 7:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

When I was a teenager, the idea of "experience" was aggressively pushed onto me. The only way I could grow up and enjoy life, I was taught, was to get a lot of experience. It would make me a mature, responsible adult. I went on to rack up a lifetimes’ worth of experience all around the world, and now that I look back at it all, I see that it was a waste.

In 2007, I backpacked for six months through South America. I started in Ecuador and snaked my way through half of the continent, eventually ending up in Rio de Janeiro to celebrate Carnival. During that trip, I met hundreds of people and saw countless exotic sights. I drank in dank bars and had deep conversations with dozens of Australians about nothing. I went through six years of experience in only six months. Where is that experience now? How does it help me today outside of the specific task of taking a road trip?

Spare me the meaningless platitudes like "travel helps broaden your horizons". It's fun while you're in the moment, like playing a videogame, but where are the life-changing revelations I was supposed to receive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

U didn't score enough brazilian chicks. That's the main problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Generally it makes people more tolerant at least, imagine what you’d be like without that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It might make one realise, people everywhere are mostly the same as people elsewhere, and there is no us and them on this planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

RobertKK wrote: »
    It might make one realise, people everywhere are mostly the same as people elsewhere, and there is no us and them on this planet.

This is some hippy, dope-smoking, let's all hold in a circle and sing kumbaya, clichéd nonsense. I, as a Western male, hold vastly different beliefs to a bearded jihadi living in cave in Afghanistan or a Congolese pygmy shoving a bone through his nose in the jungle. We value different things and of course you can't ignore IQ differences between populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Our travelling days are over. We'll need vaccines dripping out of our arseholes before we can think about getting on a plane.

• Advertisement

coinop wrote: »
    This is some hippy, dope-smoking, let's all hold in a circle and sing kumbaya, clichéd nonsense. I, as a Western male, hold vastly different beliefs to a bearded jihadi living in cave in Afghanistan or a Congolese pygmy shoving a bone through his nose in the jungle. We value different things and of course you can't ignore IQ differences between populations.

Plenty of thick gobsh1tes everywhere, as demonstrated by the above.

Some people can travel for just a few weeks or months and come back a more enlighten person, others could spend a lifetime travelling the world and still come back the same pig ignorant hick they’d always been.

I wonder where you fit on the scale?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Some people can travel for just a few weeks or months and come back a more enlighten person

Can you elaborate and go into specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Can you elaborate and go into specifics?

What do you want? You saw some stuff, had some experiences, what did you expect to happen?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    What do you want? You saw some stuff, had some experiences, what did you expect to happen?

Poster above said he was "enlightened" by traveling. I'm asking him to explain what he means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

When I was a teenager, the idea of "experience" was aggressively pushed onto me. The only way I could grow up and enjoy life, I was taught, was to get a lot of experience. It would make me a mature, responsible adult. I went on to rack up a lifetimes’ worth of experience all around the world, and now that I look back at it all, I see that it was a waste.

In 2007, I backpacked for six months through South America. I started in Ecuador and snaked my way through half of the continent, eventually ending up in Rio de Janeiro to celebrate Carnival. During that trip, I met hundreds of people and saw countless exotic sights. I drank in dank bars and had deep conversations with dozens of Australians about nothing. I went through six years of experience in only six months. Where is that experience now? How does it help me today outside of the specific task of taking a road trip?

Spare me the meaningless platitudes like "travel helps broaden your horizons". It's fun while you're in the moment, like playing a videogame, but where are the life-changing revelations I was supposed to receive?

Not sure its essential but I found it very beneficial. Made me appreciate how good we have it in Ireland in general. It made me happier and moan less about my 1st world problems. It also made me spend less after seeing how other people were happy with much less than me.

The weather here isnt too bad overall either. Ill take a cold winter over crippling humidity in Asia for example.

Big travel also provides an opportunity to see and do amazing things. Torres del Paine in Patagonia blew me away. The experience of doing it stays with me to this day as one of the best adventures ive ever done. I have also taken on some physical challenges which were brilliant once you achieve the goal at hand. Summit ascents etc.

Travel also cemented the idea that for me contentment in life comes more from experience that material possessions and that has created a path in life to an extent. Rather than blowing 6k on a fitted Kitchen, id rather go and spend it hiking around some funky part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Not necessarily. When some lad in a pub joins a conversation and throws in a random line like "When I was backpacking I always avoided the tourist areas and looked to experience the real lives of the local people in places like North Eastern Mongolia and inner central Peru" you know he's an asshole and no amount of travel can round that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

One thing I noticed when my daughter lived abroad was how more mature and self reliant she became. I suppose you have to when calling mammy and daddy every time you're in a spot of bother is no longer an option.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Much like medicines, exercise etc, travel affects different people in different ways. Some people get life changing revelations, but others don't.

Travel doesn't suit you, therefore you are better off staying at home and not venturing forth. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

You're ****ing spot on.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

You did not travel first class. You probably stayed in hostels and ate street food
    And hanging around australians who were drunk all day and not knowing the language
    You failed in traveling
    That's why you did not learn

Some people get life changing revelations...

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No need to go anywhere these days. If you want to see Rome just hop on to Google “street view”. Same goes for most other places.

Waste of time and money doing it the “old fashioned” way. And, a big plus is that you don’t have to deal with any of the unsavoury “locals”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its an experience. Its something you do to break the monotony of the 9 - 5. And if you can do it for six months to a year before you get responsibilities (a job with limited leave, a partner, kids, the need to look after elderly relatives etc) then go for it. Cos when any of those things hit, you can never do it again.

Poster above said he was "enlightened" by traveling. I'm asking him to explain what he means.

No I didn’t, I never said that. You don’t read too well.

Are you from a low IQ country?

• Advertisement

Its an experience. Its something you do to break the monotony of the 9 - 5. And if you can do it for six months to a year before you get responsibilities (a job with limited leave, a partner, kids, the need to look after elderly relatives etc) then go for it. Cos when any of those things hit, you can never do it again.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've been lucky enough to have travelled extensively both with work and for leisure. Indeed I ticked off my final continent last year with an amazing holiday to Patagonia and Antarctica. You really do get an appreciation for different cultures, local customs, regional food and so on and so forth. Night much of a fine-dining scene at the South Pole though! :)

Some people don't like to travel, and that is ok. It's the people who seem to get irritated when you tell them you've been to 72 countries who you'd feel sorry for. There's a lot of them on this website tbh. Lads living in BallyGoBackwards, work on an assembly line in some medical device company, and married a woman who looks like a fat Martina Navratilova. Their own lives are so lacking in excitement, difference, and adventure that they take out their jealousy and frustrations on people who enjoy the finer things in life.

Are you from a low IQ country?

What are the low IQ countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Travel can help someone become a mature well rounded adult but a lot depends on the individual's outlook on life.

It is certainly not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Our travelling days are over. We'll need vaccines dripping out of our arseholes before we can think about getting on a plane.

That was always the way. If you're going to nearly any country there are vaccines you need.

eviltwin wrote: »
    One thing I noticed when my daughter lived abroad was how more mature and self reliant she became. I suppose you have to when calling mammy and daddy every time you're in a spot of bother is no longer an option.

Living and working abroad is far more rewarding than travelling or backpacking or taking a year off.

I’ve no idea.

You mentioned populations, populations of what if not countries?

I’ve no idea.

You mentioned populations, populations of what if not countries?

I mentioned low IQ populations. You mentioned low IQ countries. A region of the world can have several different populations living within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its great to round you out a bit as a human being, it gives you a glimpse of a life outside your tiny little head and you appreciate we share the world with a multitude of different people with different viewpoints, religions, culinary tastes and social norms. Its not going to drastically change your core personality, which generally stays the same your entire life.
    It also depends where you go. The amount of lads i know who came back from a "life changing" year or two in Australia, and not only are they the exact same people afterwards but some of their existing prejudices and attitudes are actually strengthened. And this is because they went to live in a house full of other Irish lads...working day and night with other Irish lads and you guessed it, drinking in Irish pubs every weekend with Irish lads. So no chance to get exposed to enough locals or native people which may have given them some life lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Living and working abroad is far more rewarding than travelling or backpacking or taking a year off.

That depends on alot of variables. Working abroad generally has you are tied to a working and living location I found but travel gives more freedom to go where you want.

Advertisement