Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheelchair accessible car/van - where to buy?

Options
  • 02-01-2021 10:03pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing some background research. Where would I go if I wanted to buy a wheelchair accessible car or van where the wheelchair user would be the passenger? Would it be a case of having to get a van adapted, or is there a second hand market for them? How much more expensive than a regular van/car would they be? Any pointers would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

New Home wrote: »
    I'm doing some background research. Where would I go if I wanted to buy a wheelchair accessible car or van where the wheelchair user would be the passenger? Would it be a case of having to get a van adapted, or is there a second hand market for them? How much more expensive than a regular van/car would they be? Any pointers would be very welcome.

You could have a look at some vehicles in Motabiliy Ireland. I’m sure there are many others around the country too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks, I hadn't heard of them before, I'll start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP, You might try 'Motors'... There are a few persona there who are well versed and very experienced in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know much about it NH but my sister had a Doblo modified for a wheelchair (she bought it second hand and it was already modified) it seems to be a popular solution. She used it to transport our mother around, it had a ramp to get the wheelchair in and it was then strapped down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks folks, that's useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just reminded me - mum would sit there quite regally, and was not above giving a gracious wave to the neighbours or anyone else that caught her eye!

Thank you, that sounds very interesting and I'll keep it in mind, but I'm still looking around and I'm still in the planning phase (for lots of other things, not just the van).

Also, you might want to delete your post, advertising is not allowed on Boards (even though it's well meant).

Thanks again.

Advertisement