Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can England just opt out of the Uk?

Options
  • 02-01-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I often wonder why England don't just separate themselves from the rest of the UK. Is it even legally possible after all this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The other 'nations' would need to first vote for independence, if they wanted to then join the EU they would be required to adopt the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

The other 'nations' would need to first vote for independence, if they wanted to then join the EU they would be required to adopt the Euro.

But England can't? Are all the home countries countries except England?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Mulbert wrote: »
    But England can't? Are all the home countries countries except England?

England can’t opt out it would have to expel the other nations from the Union.

Edited to add: and I doubt they could actually expel the other nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

All the Nuclear Submarines and their arsenal are harboured in Scotland.

It is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Smee_Again wrote: »

Thank you for that, thas interesting and quite mad. So could Westminster expel Scotland from the union even if they didn't want to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thank you for that, thas interesting and quite mad. So could Westminster expel Scotland from the union even if they didn't want to leave?

I edited my comment to say that I don’t think they could. But I’m not sure, depends on the wording of the original Act of Union I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Well they will have to park them elsewhere as sooner or later Scotland will vote for independence and join the E.U

Well they will have to park them elsewhere as sooner or later Scotland will vote for independence and join the E.U

That won't happen either, sure they only voted against independence a few years ago.

Most people in Scotland are very happy to remain the UK.

Another vote can only come about with the proposal of the British Prime Minister, so go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's been multiple suggestions for regional devolved parliaments/assemblies England, different cities and local authorities also have some different powers.

Most recently "English votes for English laws" passing in 2015, and the Scottish National Party being hypocrites over it. Which is a step towards English devolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just on that point, the adoption of the euro is technically a requirement but not actually immediately or practicably enforceable.

It can be postponed artificially and indefinitely by deliberately managing to miss the convergence criteria as defined in the Maastricht treaty.

Adoption of the Euro(or not) isn't the barrier to EU membership that many think it is.

https://www.insee.fr/en/metadonnees/definition/c1348#:~:text=The%20four%20criteria%20are%20defined,the%20convergence%20of%20interest%20rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Never say never.
    A huge amount of the USSR's nuclear capabilities and of their armed forces were based in Ukraine (aswell as other SSR's) all were dealt with in separation treaties.

No.

banie01 wrote: »
    Never say never.
    A huge amount of the USSR's nuclear capabilities and of their armed forces were based in Ukraine (aswell as other SSR's) all were dealt with in separation treaties.

Geographically there is no where else to put a nuclear submarine harbour in the UK.

I think there lies another reason why it will never happen.

Apart from Scottish readers of the Guardian ( not all of them either ) there is no one else who wants an independent Scotland, apart from a few Catholic housing schemes in Glasgow. The rest of the Scots aren't arsed.

Wales couldn't survive outside of the UK. The capital of northern wales is Liverpool, Stoke or Manchester. Stoke is a toilet, don't bother, trust me. Although people from Staffordshire are quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

The Welsh are a nice bunch of lads, they should just annex England some night they're not looking, job done. We could play them in a friendly for the six counties and be done with it.

Not that we would want them back now, too much clean up and they're smelly!

Jonybgud wrote: »
    The Welsh are a nice bunch of lads, they should just annex England some night they're not looking, job done. We could play them in a friendly for the six counties and be done with it.

Not that we would want them back now, too much clean up and they're smelly!

Wales is like the 6 counties. It is not sustainable on its' own.

Ask the nice long term unemployed of Merthyr Tydfel.

That won't happen either, sure they only voted against independence a few years ago.

Another vote can only come about with the proposal of the British Prime Minister, so go figure.

Lots of change since then. Last 18 polls in a row show support for independence. Last poll showed 58% support.

England leaving the EU and dragging Scotland with it was a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Wales is like the 6 counties. It is not sustainable on its' own.

Ask the nice long term unemployed of Merthyr Tydfel.

Sure there's a Mertyl Tit everywhere!

If they did manage to put a big padlock on the gate to Buck Pally and weld the door of No.10 shut for a bit, Boris would sh1t his pantaloons and dig up Maggie for advice.

We could send a couple of boats over to support the daffies, we could send Ursula a text, she might help too.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Sure there's a Mertyl Tit everywhere!

If they did manage to put a big padlock on the gate to Buck Pally and weld the door of No.10 shut for a bit, Boris would sh1t his pantaloons and dig up Maggie for advice.

We could send a couple of boats over to support the daffies, we could send Ursula a text, she might help too.

Interesting concept, thanks for sharing.

Help who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's polling around 60% lately. Plus, one of the major points England had in its campaign for Scotland to vote no last time was that if Scotland left the UK it would take them out of the EU and they'd face years trying to get back in.

A lot has changed since Scotland was convinced to narrowly (relatively) vote against.

For all the bluster from a certain section of England about how the other nations are financially dependant on them and they'd never make it alone, they seems steadfastly against any of them leaving(bar NI, no one seems to give a **** about them).

You'd think the brexiteers would be fully behind a nation breaking away from a union and being independent.............

As for denying Scotland another referendum, thats only going to play into independence hands. Pretty soon London is going to look like Moscow or Beijing if they refuse the will of the people.

• Advertisement

It is only supported in Glasgow. The Scots have no real interest. Don't believe the hype. The SNP are only too happy with the status quo. If you think how difficult Brexit was .. can you imagine the quagmire which Scottish independence would create. Defense, currency, The Border, health, policing etc etc etc. It's massive.

20140919_Scotland_results-833x900.jpg

_77695435_scot_strength_624map.gif

The irony is that your average separatist in Scotland is on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It is only supported in Glasgow. The Scots have no real interest. Don't believe the hype. The SNP are only too happy with the status quo. If you think how difficult Brexit was .. can you imagine the quagmire which Scottish independence would create. Defense, currency, The Border, health, policing etc etc etc. It's massive.

The irony is that your average separatist in Scotland is on the dole.

The graph you've used is marked from 2014. One or two things have change in the interim.....

The graph you've used is marked from 2014. One or two things have change in the interim.....

Like what exactly?

What has changed?

Like what exactly?

What has changed?

About a 15% swing. But, I've a feeling you're being dense on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Smee_Again wrote: »

Edited to add: and I doubt they could actually expel the other nations.

Isn't that what the other nations want?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

About a 15% swing. But, I've a feeling you're being dense on purpose.

I don't think it is appropriate to decide if I am not suiting your vernacular?

But assuming I am being " dense" because 55% of Scottish people think Scottish independence is not their bag is a bit much?

The facts are the facts. The British PM is the only person who can decide if another referendum is appropriate. Given that he does not need the SNP for the next 4 years, it certainly will not be happening then. Either way the SNP are a double bluff. It suits them to be campaigning for an independent Scotland as opposed to actually having to orchestrate one, which could take at least a decade.

As I said earlier both Wales and the 6 counties are not viable as stand alone nations. They are both heavily reliant on funding from the UK. Scotland could be self sufficient , but the reality is that most Scots know they would better off in the UK.

That does not suit your average council estate communist from Glasgow or Dundee, but in fairness they won't be paying for Scottish independence either. The majority of Scots know this and that is why they are happy to remain in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I often wonder why England don't just separate themselves from the rest of the UK. Is it even legally possible after all this time?

Can they 'opt out' of Ireland while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How about a Jacobite uprising? There hasn't been one in an age.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Many voted to stay in the UK on the basis that leaving would mean they would no longer be part of the EU....only to have England vote to leave the EU.

Another vote would be tight, but I would expect it to be pro independence/pro rejoining the EU........if there was another vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think it is appropriate to decide if I am not suiting your vernacular?

But assuming I am being " dense" because 55% of Scottish people think Scottish independence is not their bag is a bit much?

Think now or thought back in 2014?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement