Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

1910121415391

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭freyners


    You could argue the Leinster game wasn't that unbelievable.

    They lost Sexton after twenty mins and didnt even have close to a competent replacement, it was also a poor Leinster team.

    I certainly don't think it reflects "what this team can do on their day", the Munster and Ulster games were the reflection.

    Fitzgerald's two mistakes had a big bearing on their first try for me.
    He threw a nothing ball out of play and on his next possession he got blocked and they ran it over a few phases later.
    He missed the tackle for their last try and basically had the ball just pulled off him in our last real attack.

    Our back options are really poor, Porch is quality and we've ok in the centre but it's much muchness between the rest.

    I'd like to see us get a NIQ winger.

    Not a hope. We have porch and bod both niq


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Borders no.2


    Incredibly frustrating game to watch. I don't know how we were 12 up at half time, Ospreys very close to a couple of tries but having got in that position and having an extra man for the first 8 or so minutes of the 2nd half we really should have had the springboard to go on and win the game from there.

    Honestly I don't know how we are 2nd in our conference. We obviously benefited from some teams missing internationals but in the main I think Connacht have been poor this season. Racing was dressed up as a major success as a narrow defeat but we were one pass away from that being a 30-40 point hammering.

    Edinburgh and Leinster are the only games I'd be happy with this season. There were good patches in some other games but overall we lose shape so quickly when the tide is going against us and our decision making at crunch times is desperate.

    The maul in both directions is absolutely laughable on a consistent basis. Its always been a problem for Connacht in defence but generally we'd manage but this season pretty much every team is destroying us in this area.

    In terms of personnel the squad isn't good enough and with Covid we are going to continue to be bottom of the queue in terms of strengthening our squad. Once we are down a couple of players in key positions you really see the lack of depth being painfully obvious. To me we need to start asking serious questions of ourselves in defence and in the forwards. We clearly don't have the power in the forwards. We need to find a way of either recruiting some bulk or finding a way to cope with this.

    Teams are overpowering us up front and our defence out wide consistently looks threadbare at best. None of the back 3 are good defenders being honest. Wooton has done great going forward but what is he doing for the first try. I love Porch as an attacker but he's not able to defend especially as a last line. Some of the missed tackles today were embarrassing. We got away with it more than once but were deservedly punished in the end.

    I think its time major questions were asked about Jimmy Duffy and Pete Wilkins. We can't be happy with the sort of tries we are conceding on a regular basis. I like Andy Friend, he seems an all round good guy but to me it seem things are all a bit too nice at the moment.

    I do wonder who is laying down the law to make sure that we make good decisions when the pressure comes on. Butler was an ok captain for a couple of seasons but the decisions made by the group as a whole and when the pressure comes on doesn't seem to be improving at all. When we are on the back foot, the decision making just seems to get more and more kamikaze.

    Every chance we get to take a strangehold of 2nd position in our group we mess it up. Could easily find ourselves missing out on Top 3 altogether if the other teams get their act together.

    Finally, I never thought a referee would make me want to see George Clancy in charge but its beyond belief that Frank Murphy has climbed as far up the refereeing ladder as he has. Im not blaming him for the defeat in any shape or form but his overall inconsistency is just baffling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond


    Incredibly frustrating game to watch. I don't know how we were 12 up at half time, Ospreys very close to a couple of tries but having got in that position and having an extra man for the first 8 or so minutes of the 2nd half we really should have had the springboard to go on and win the game from there.

    Honestly I don't know how we are 2nd in our conference. We obviously benefited from some teams missing internationals but in the main I think Connacht have been poor this season. Racing was dressed up as a major success as a narrow defeat but we were one pass away from that being a 30-40 point hammering.

    Edinburgh and Leinster are the only games I'd be happy with this season. There were good patches in some other games but overall we lose shape so quickly when the tide is going against us and our decision making at crunch times is desperate.

    The maul in both directions is absolutely laughable on a consistent basis. Its always been a problem for Connacht in defence but generally we'd manage but this season pretty much every team is destroying us in this area.

    In terms of personnel the squad isn't good enough and with Covid we are going to continue to be bottom of the queue in terms of strengthening our squad. Once we are down a couple of players in key positions you really see the lack of depth being painfully obvious. To me we need to start asking serious questions of ourselves in defence and in the forwards. We clearly don't have the power in the forwards. We need to find a way of either recruiting some bulk or finding a way to cope with this.

    Teams are overpowering us up front and our defence out wide consistently looks threadbare at best. None of the back 3 are good defenders being honest. Wooton has done great going forward but what is he doing for the first try. I love Porch as an attacker but he's not able to defend especially as a last line. Some of the missed tackles today were embarrassing. We got away with it more than once but were deservedly punished in the end.

    I think its time major questions were asked about Jimmy Duffy and Pete Wilkins. We can't be happy with the sort of tries we are conceding on a regular basis. I like Andy Friend, he seems an all round good guy but to me it seem things are all a bit too nice at the moment.

    I do wonder who is laying down the law to make sure that we make good decisions when the pressure comes on. Butler was an ok captain for a couple of seasons but the decisions made by the group as a whole and when the pressure comes on doesn't seem to be improving at all. When we are on the back foot, the decision making just seems to get more and more kamikaze.

    Every chance we get to take a strangehold of 2nd position in our group we mess it up. Could easily find ourselves missing out on Top 3 altogether if the other teams get their act together.

    Finally, I never thought a referee would make me want to see George Clancy in charge but its beyond belief that Frank Murphy has climbed as far up the refereeing ladder as he has. Im not blaming him for the defeat in any shape or form but his overall inconsistency is just baffling.
    Would agree with a lot of that.
    The maul is constantly an issue both ways. Weight of pack could be an issue with that but technique is poor more often than not with players starting off too loose, too high and just get destroyed by any sides who can hit well and low.
    On Frank. Think he's not great but main issue is he's climbed ladder to pro level a bit too quick. Started reffing the season after he finished and within 2 seasons was reffing pro14 games.


  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Former Coach


    Incredibly frustrating game to watch. I don't know how we were 12 up at half time, Ospreys very close to a couple of tries but having got in that position and having an extra man for the first 8 or so minutes of the 2nd half we really should have had the springboard to go on and win the game from there.

    Honestly I don't know how we are 2nd in our conference. We obviously benefited from some teams missing internationals but in the main I think Connacht have been poor this season. Racing was dressed up as a major success as a narrow defeat but we were one pass away from that being a 30-40 point hammering.

    Edinburgh and Leinster are the only games I'd be happy with this season. There were good patches in some other games but overall we lose shape so quickly when the tide is going against us and our decision making at crunch times is desperate.

    The maul in both directions is absolutely laughable on a consistent basis. Its always been a problem for Connacht in defence but generally we'd manage but this season pretty much every team is destroying us in this area.

    In terms of personnel the squad isn't good enough and with Covid we are going to continue to be bottom of the queue in terms of strengthening our squad. Once we are down a couple of players in key positions you really see the lack of depth being painfully obvious. To me we need to start asking serious questions of ourselves in defence and in the forwards. We clearly don't have the power in the forwards. We need to find a way of either recruiting some bulk or finding a way to cope with this.

    Teams are overpowering us up front and our defence out wide consistently looks threadbare at best. None of the back 3 are good defenders being honest. Wooton has done great going forward but what is he doing for the first try. I love Porch as an attacker but he's not able to defend especially as a last line. Some of the missed tackles today were embarrassing. We got away with it more than once but were deservedly punished in the end.

    I think its time major questions were asked about Jimmy Duffy and Pete Wilkins. We can't be happy with the sort of tries we are conceding on a regular basis. I like Andy Friend, he seems an all round good guy but to me it seem things are all a bit too nice at the moment.

    I do wonder who is laying down the law to make sure that we make good decisions when the pressure comes on. Butler was an ok captain for a couple of seasons but the decisions made by the group as a whole and when the pressure comes on doesn't seem to be improving at all. When we are on the back foot, the decision making just seems to get more and more kamikaze.

    Every chance we get to take a strangehold of 2nd position in our group we mess it up. Could easily find ourselves missing out on Top 3 altogether if the other teams get their act together.

    Finally, I never thought a referee would make me want to see George Clancy in charge but its beyond belief that Frank Murphy has climbed as far up the refereeing ladder as he has. Im not blaming him for the defeat in any shape or form but his overall inconsistency is just baffling.

    27 missed tackles today........


  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar


    TBH I think Jarrod is struggling in many ways. So many mistakes today, but my biggest concern with him is that he adds nothing to the back row, both physical or dynamic.

    I thought the game was a quality game. I thought Connacht were lucky to be leading at half time. I thought papali brought an agressiveness that was needed.

    Dave hit his lineouts every time. Ospreys are a good team and they were well up for it.

    I think Connacht were beaten in many areas and Ospreys deserved to win.

    As for Frank's performance, I listened with interest to what he was saying. And every single time it was Connacht don't do this and Connacht don't do that. I don't believe he mentioned the word Ospreys within the 80 minutes. I don't know what his issue is but he has a burning issue.

    But as said Ospreys were the deserved winners. I really don't give a shyte about Frank's problems in life


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond


    ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    TBH I think Jarrod is struggling in many ways. So many mistakes today, but my biggest concern with him is that he adds nothing to the back row, both physical or dynamic.

    I thought the game was a quality game. I thought Connacht were lucky to be leading at half time. I thought papali brought an agressiveness that was needed.

    Dave hit his lineouts every time. Ospreys are a good team and they were well up for it.

    I think Connacht were beaten in many areas and Ospreys deserved to win.

    As for Frank's performance, I listened with interest to what he was saying. And every single time it was Connacht don't do this and Connacht don't do that. I don't believe he mentioned the word Ospreys within the 80 minutes. I don't know what his issue is but he has a burning issue.

    But as said Ospreys were the deserved winners. I really don't give a shyte about Frank's problems in life
    Bit harsh to say Jarred adds nothing to backrow. Poor today but adds nothing?

    I dont see how this game was a quality game.
    Connacht were very sloppy and were lucky to lead at half time.
    Ospreys had over 70% of possession in second half then Murphy should be mentioning Connacht more as he will be calling for team without ball to stay onside, on feet etc a lot more than team in possession


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    It's something we've all been saying for a while.

    Lineout, maul, ruck protection, tackling. They're consistent problems... probably for 2+ years now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭Wegians89


    Bazzo wrote: »
    It's something we've all been saying for a while.

    Lineout, maul, ruck protection, tackling. They're consistent problems... probably for 2+ years now.

    I like Jimmy Duffy but I’d it time to start looking at changing things up?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    Wegians89 wrote: »
    I like Jimmy Duffy but I’d it time to start looking at changing things up?

    It certainly looks like something needs to change in the coaching setup. Most have been in situ for a good while now and the problems aren't getting fixed.

    Could also add receiving restarts to that list actually, was it another 2? knocked on under no pressure last night, at least one of which led to an Ospreys try. Butler had a bit of a mare yesterday, but he was very consistent for a long time so I'd be confident he can find form again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot


    Lads whats the story with Carty? Is it Covid related?

    Not in the squad v Ospreys and not even a mention of him in the press this morning either.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    Lads whats the story with Carty? Is it Covid related?

    Not in the squad v Ospreys and not even a mention of him in the press this morning either.

    There weren't any positive PCR tests before the Ospreys game. He was likely just rested.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭KBurke85


    Bazzo wrote: »
    There weren't any positive PCR tests before the Ospreys game. He was likely just rested.

    Likely rested. He was at the game yesterday TG4 showed him after the game on the clan terrace with a gear bag


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Lads whats the story with Carty? Is it Covid related?

    Not in the squad v Ospreys and not even a mention of him in the press this morning either.

    Blade, Marmion, Bealham all miss out too. Must be seriously frustrating for these guys. The Ireland selection has been frustrating me for years now honestly makes it hard for me to get excited for them anymore. Casey, Gibson-Park and McGrath ahead of both our SH's ? Give me a break.

    Wouldn't hold anything against them if they were to go to France or England for big bucks at this stage.

    Edit: I see McGrath in fact isn't included which is some respite at least.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR


    Bazzo wrote: »
    There weren't any positive PCR tests before the Ospreys game. He was likely just rested.

    Likely would have known he wasnt to be involved with Ireland so no need to play him. Was due a rest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot


    I find it crazy that Carty is not even in the squad.
    Farrell giving him no game time in the Autumn was ridiculous & shortsighted

    Also ridiculous that Marmion, Blade or even Casey didn't get a run in that tournament.

    Sexton et al should not have played one minute of that tournament. We are seeing the consequence of it now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    From an unbelievably selfish provincial point of view having Blade, Marmion and Carty all available puts us in a much stronger position for the next 6 weeks. Missing both Roux and Dillane will weaken us significantly, especially with our set piece and offensive breakdown problems.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭testtech05


    Bazzo wrote: »
    From an unbelievably selfish provincial point of view having Blade, Marmion and Carty all available puts us in a much stronger position for the next 6 weeks. Missing both Roux and Dillane will weaken us significantly, especially with our set piece and offensive breakdown problems.

    While I agree with this point about having the lads for our games (hopefully we might have 1 of Roux/Dillane sometimes too), you would wonder what some players have to do in order to be involved while others cant seem to be dropped no matter what.

    It's getting to the point where I would start to worry about our chances of retaining some of the lads if they see no chance of progressing internationally it would be hard to begrudge them looking out for themselves financially.

    It probably sounds like provincial bias to highlight our guys but there are players in the other provinces being treated similarly, John Cooney the obvious one who comes to mind....


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/status/1353654095970754560

    Buernard Jackman weighing in on some of the scrum reffing from yesterday.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash


    It needs more highlighting from the media. I remember that scene yesterday and seeing Andy in the stand looking down and I just felt he must know full well they're dammed either way out there. Murphy is an odd ref. Totally inconsistent.


  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Number 137


    I always find it interesting when certain individuals decide to constantly castigate a referee. It's usually very generic, nothing specific, in terms of what the referee's actual issues are. I'd be curious to know what your particular bug bears are, instead of hiding behind cliched buzz terms. I fully accept that watching games can be frustrating when decisions don't go our way. But let's be honest, Connacht don't lose games because referee A or B is refereeing. They lose games because of their own short comings.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap


    The discipline has been woeful with a lot of different refs this year. That says more about the players and coaching than the officiating.

    And something like 30 missed tackles yesterday too I think. That 14 year old blonde Osprey lad's try was especially sickening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash


    Number 137 wrote: »
    I always find it interesting when certain individuals decide to constantly castigate a referee. It's usually very generic, nothing specific, in terms of what the referee's actual issues are. I'd be curious to know what your particular bug bears are, instead of hiding behind cliched buzz terms. I fully accept that watching games can be frustrating when decisions don't go our way. But let's be honest, Connacht don't lose games because referee A or B is refereeing. They lose games because of their own short comings.

    Is that aimed at me or who?


  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Number 137


    macslash wrote: »
    Is that aimed at me or who?

    My post is not aimed at anyone in particular. It's just an observation I made based on what I've read on this thread from a number of posters.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭Buer


    Bazzo wrote: »
    Buernard Jackman weighing in on some of the scrum reffing from yesterday.

    Ignoring your hurtful and scurrilous wordplay, I've watched that clip about a dozen times now and I'm ok with the decision. Obviously, in a scrum there's normally about a half dozen issues that could be penalised but, based on Murphy's call there, the Connacht pack does appear to be shifting across and coming around to the open side. Were there other factors or infringements? Quite possibly but I can't disagree with the specific call.

    It's something I've seen plenty of teams do and be rewarded as a dominant scrum. They shift all of their weight off to one side where they think they'll get the most reward instead of driving straight. In that clip, I don't think Connacht were very subtle at all about it, to be honest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot


    I heard Murray Kinsella on his Podcast say that Andy Friend new contract is going to be announced this week.

    I hope its for at least 2 years. Preferably 3 years so to keep him in Ireland beyond the RWC. Hint, hint!


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo


    Buer wrote: »
    Ignoring your hurtful and scurrilous wordplay, I've watched that clip about a dozen times now and I'm ok with the decision. Obviously, in a scrum there's normally about a half dozen issues that could be penalised but, based on Murphy's call there, the Connacht pack does appear to be shifting across and coming around to the open side. Were there other factors or infringements? Quite possibly but I can't disagree with the specific call.

    It's something I've seen plenty of teams do and be rewarded as a dominant scrum. They shift all of their weight off to one side where they think they'll get the most reward instead of driving straight. In that clip, I don't think Connacht were very subtle at all about it, to be honest.

    I'm pretty clueless about scrummaging, just thought some bits of the thread were interesting. He wasn't impressed with how Murphy dealt with Butler after.

    Edit: I think the arguement Buerch and Butler were making was that Connacht were side stepping because Spreys where wheeling the far side. The fact they went for the corner rather than another scrum straight after was curious


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed


    Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm pretty clueless about scrummaging, just thought some bits of the thread were interesting. He wasn't impressed with how Murphy dealt with Butler after.

    Edit: I think the arguement Buerch and Butler were making was that Connacht were side stepping because Spreys where wheeling the far side. The fact they went for the corner rather than another scrum straight after was curious

    I think because they knew the next scrum would be lost. They were lucky to get the penalty and used their luck wisely


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh


    I didn't see the game so only working off the footage in that clip. I understand Murphys decision, but I also understand what Butler was saying afterwards. Would really need to see from the other side exactly what is happening before I could really make a call on it. It honestly could be either or, but it could also be both. As Buer said, there are often so many infringements from either side in a scrum that a clear definitively correct outcome isnt always possible. You'd have to have some sympathy for officials in that case too as it becomes effectively an impossible job to referee is properly.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man


    molloyjh wrote: »
    I didn't see the game so only working off the footage in that clip. I understand Murphys decision, but I also understand what Butler was saying afterwards. Would really need to see from the other side exactly what is happening before I could really make a call on it. It honestly could be either or, but it could also be both. As Buer said, there are often so many infringements from either side in a scrum that a clear definitively correct outcome isnt always possible. You'd have to have some sympathy for officials in that case too as it becomes effectively an impossible job to referee is properly.

    There was one replay that showed the Ospreys prop in the farside starting position was angled in. That was the only line connacht could follow when the got the shove.

    Thats from memory mind


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife


    I had no problem with the decision at the time. We brought on two young props and struggled a bit afterwards. Scrums got messy and from Frank’s POV he had enough at that stage.

    I think one of the infringements was a free kick which would mean they wouldn’t get the throw in if they kicked it. Their maul was a serious weapon so that’s why they went for the lineout.

    Birch has gone from coaching at T14 to Pro14 to J1A so he probably genuinely doesn’t know what’s going on and is looking for help !


Advertisement