Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneera - anyone used them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Had the auctioneera agent value my property at 500, “to get interest and sell in mid 500s”.

listed with another agent in high 500’s and had several offers in 600’s.

luckily I know the market quite well, but someone who doesn’t might fall for the quick sell pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you posted that before the 600’s came in, you would have posters telling you that the second EA was only valuing it higher to get the business. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

They come up every so often on this board, and the opinion offered varies from person to person. In my opinion, they are to be avoided. I've seen more than one property go tens of thousands over the original asking price, go sale agreed and then be back on the market in a few months with a different agent.

If I wanted to sell my house, I would not touch them, and I avoided them utterly when I was looking to buy. That's just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Just a point, I think that the use of the word "auctioneer" to describe Auctionera is totally unsuitable. What that does is not an auction; it's a bidding war platform. In a real auction, bids are binding, but that site allows anyone to sign up and "bid" on property without any real checks. When I joined, I merely provided an AIP letter with a blanked out approval amount, and I was able to bid on any property on the site, even though that were well beyond my budget.

Some people have likened Auctionera to Ebay, but this is unfair. On ebay, fake bids can get an account banned!

• Advertisement

If you are going to be pedantic, you are wrong.

Auctioneer just means a person who conducts the sale of property/goods, usually to the highest bidder. What you are describing is the distinction between a private treaty sale, and sale by auction, auctioneers can conduct both. There are few better examples of a “bidding war” than standing at a property auction and watch interested bidders try and outbid others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am sorry for your experience with Auctioneera.ie.

But honestly, I have bid on few occasions with traditional estate agents like DNG for example without supplying one single document of proof that I had access to the funds, not even an AIP. So what is better about the traditional estate agent?

Living the life

Also want to add that estate agents (traditional ones!) are misleading with the way they present you the information.... I experienced this only 2 days ago... When they told me about this house which was coming up for sale... And why the vendors were selling.I done my own homework and in fact the vendors are selling for a total different reason. And this particular house has been sold and bought few times in the last decade. Seem to be sold every 4 years. So yes this is from a traditional estate agent.

I know Dave will tell me now that estate agent is acting on behalf of the vendor but transparency is still missing out of traditional agents completely.

Living the life

It never interested me why a vendor is selling, can’t see why it would matter to you, or why you think the EA should tell you. Would you want a buyer to know you need to sell? I doubt it.

Yes, i wouldn't want to buy a house I need to sell in 4 years too. Absolutely.

Living the life

• Advertisement

A lot happens in 4 years, if you want to tell buyers you need to sell, you are giving them information that influences their bidding, seems an odd strategy, but everyone has a different approach, no doubt the buyer would think you are desperate.

Just because you don't like a word doesn't mean that people can't use it. There are different licences for people involved in the letting management and sale of property. Some licences are limited to lettings only. Otheres are for sale. All licences for sale also permit the holder to conduct auctions. The holder of such a licence can conduct a sale either by private treaty or auction. Just because a sale is being conducted by private treaty doesn't mean that the licensed agent is not an auctioneer. A surgeon who writes a prescription for a headache is still a surgeon, not a doctor.

It is not surprising you are having so much difficulty with sales agents.

There are many reserved titles. I can't call myself a doctor if I'm selling supplements from an online store.

Look, I merely gave an opinion of Auctionera. If you're happy to deal with these people, then that's great. I thankfully don't have to deal with EAs anymore.

It is nothing to do with reserved titles. A doctor whi is selling pills from an online store is still a doctor. An auctioneer who sells a property by private treaty is still an auctioneer. I would not deal with Auctioneera, but that is beside the point. If they have an auctioneer's licence they can be described as an auctioneer. EAs are just one part of the messy business of dealing in property in this jurisdiction.

Point accepted. They may be licensed auctioneers, but that does not mean that what that site does is an auction.

Advertisement