Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GymPlus charging members a lockdown monthly fee

Options
  • 01-01-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

GymPlus are charging members a monthly lockdown membership fee of 10 euro per month now. For January they have taken the full months direct debit too and are saying the excess they have taken in January they will take off future months.

I think this is very bad form to be honest. Their staff will get Covid payments and I appreciate they will have overheads but alot of businesses and people are in a similar situation.

They are offering virtual online classes but I have no interest in them.

It is a tough time for everybody, people have lost jobs, others have had to take pay cuts, businesses closing etc. but I just feel this is bad form.

I'm sure if I cancel my membership & look to rejoin when gyms open I will have to pay a joining fee, so they are screwing people every which way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am also a member and also no interest in online support etc. There was always the option to freeze your membership. Perhaps you could enquire about that? On balance I think to leave them the tenner as a charitable donation as would be devastated if they closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Garlinge wrote: »
    I am also a member and also no interest in online support etc. There was always the option to freeze your membership. Perhaps you could enquire about that? On balance I think to leave them the tenner as a charitable donation as would be devastated if they closed down.

I think the lockdown impacting gyms will probably be more than a month tbh.

I would be more willing to give them a once off ten euro donation if asked, then to be told I am being charged a lockdown membership fee, especially as I have zero interest in online classes.

Either way I had heard that they were planning on increasing the membership fees in 2021, so we were going to get hit in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

GymPlus are charging members a monthly lockdown membership fee of 10 euro per month now. For January they have taken the full months direct debit too and are saying the excess they have taken in January they will take off future months.

I think this is very bad form to be honest.

That is outrageous given that they are closed. Very dishonest behaviour by GymPlus.

You can ask your bank to reverse the direct debit and block GymPlus from taking further money from your account.

JTMan wrote: »
    That is outrageous given that they are closed. Very dishonest behaviour by GymPlus.

You can ask your bank to reverse the direct debit and block GymPlus from taking further money from your account.

They could, but it seems they wish to have a future relationship with the gym and want to avoid joining fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

• One-to-one Zoom fitness reviews
    • Exercise guides in the FitSense app so you can create your own workout
    • A timetable of live and on demand online classes that are suitable to do from home
    • Fitness assessment calls with our team so they can help you plan your new routine
    • Focused health content on our blog

I have several times 'frozen' membership when knew I could not use gym. I pay annual sub and extra time was added on to renewal date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

They could, but it seems they wish to have a future relationship with the gym and want to avoid joining fees.

The gym will be happy for you to sign a new dd mandate when they reopen. They will be looking to keep members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Thats bad form from that gym and they'll lose a lot of custom over thgis, my gym just dont take any money until whenever the date of your last direct debit was talen whenever the gym opens.

Advertisement