Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is life coaching a scam?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I would consider it amateur psychology. The guy I'm talking about has come through alot and I don't doubt his commitment to helping people but he's offering business and life coach with no entrepreneurial background.

I won 3 zoom sessions with a well known business coach on Facebook not long ago. It was absolute rubbish and wouldn't convince me to part with any of my cash for further help. It was things like this

Set a target of earning a profit of 500 a day
    Have 2 separate phones, one personal and one business
    How to manage your VAT and tax returns
    Invest your profits in property

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

It may be news to you but there are lots of people who were not blessed with good parenting to turn them into well adjusted adults. These people struggle with aspects of their life that would be simple for people with a normal upbringing.

Badly learned behaviours as a child can be very damaging in adulthood. I've never seen a life coach but I am a child of 2 alcoholics which has been very damaging to me and my siblings. Seeing a life coach would be something I certainly would not close the door on.

ideally these people shouldn't have any off spring which are about 75% of the world population and they should not breed at all. You need a license for a dog and to go fishing but anyone can have a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is psychology a scam?

No, it’s not, my girlfriend and friend work in that field. But they have one a masters and the other a degree from accredited universities... you can’t become a psychologist by turning up at a school in Lesson St for 2 years and... ‘yay a bit of paper’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Congratulations. You don't need a life coach.

But life coaching is entirely relevant for some people who have had it worse than you pal. An adult who was abused as a child might struggle to think for themselves and fit into the real world, but will excel above the rest at a particular aubject once they are given some direction in life. Do children with special needs require guidance in life? Same thing.

Some people have limited access to family members or positive role models that you speak of.

You want to learn Piano? You pay for lessons. Same thing. "Life coaching" is more than someone telling you to go to the gym more or how to chat up girls.

Oh please. Take a kid who was not allowed to go to school by his alcoholic father and mother. Sent to the bogs ages 8 and forced to give over the money to father so he could drink it.

Said child left home at 13 and at 15 moved to Dublin, 16 London. Made a life and a family for himself and educated himself. Becoming a great dad and a loving dad.

Kids know when stuff is wrong and try to change it. Pal!

If you don't fit in, if you cannot find your niche in life, look inwardly.

Some guy who lives at home with his mammy and daddy ain't going to give you the life skills to change.

Forgive me for being blunt, even myself in my 30's did not know enough about life to give others "advice" on how to live their lives. Thankfully, other people DID have that experience and assisted me.

Even now in my 50's I am reticent to do so, apart from giving my own kids advice that I have personally gleaned through my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

zanador wrote: »
    For the lucky, yes. Unfortunately though life coaches don't wash your jocks

They dont wash jocks? WTF good are they then?.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

rob316 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is a life coach and he's constantly peddling on Facebook his life changing packages for people who want to change and realize their potential for success.
    Fair enough but he's deep into his 30s living at home, crap car and doesn't display any wealth. If he was living it up in a 5 bed and driving a range rover I'd say ya he knows what he's talking about.

It's not just him and I know more and more people getting this "qualifications".

Can u link this? Genuinely want to see the grift

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Knew a lad, bit of a loser. He went to life coach. Life coach told him he should go to gym, get fit which will help him get a girlfriend. And he should work harder in work to get a promotion.

The lad followed this advice, has a decent girlfriend a lot fitter and makes more money.

Result.

Suppose life coaches are a scam, but a bit like a personal trainer, it's not rational but works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You can appoint yourself a life coach without accreditation. Snap, I'm one. If you sign up now, you get 25% off and a free pencil. But wait there's more, do what your horoscope says and it magically happens. This advice will set you back €500, quicker you transfer it sooner I can pay off the bailiff.

Do you do zoom sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Get out, go on, iv opened the door for ya, yeah, if you dont wanna make it, go now, yeah, save us all a bit of time, yeah, if you don't think you can cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

id consider seeing one but i aint doing any press ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

How is a life coach different to a counsellor? Is there anything a life-coach tells you that a counsellor doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

How is a life coach different to a counsellor? Is there anything a life-coach tells you that a counsellor doesn't?

Counsellors have to be properly trained in a real third level college and certified. Life coaches can buy a self help book, print up their qualification on Powerpoint and off they go. Now there are some made up "private" colleges with fancy sounding names that will charge you €3k+ for a coaching qualification but basically they are just reading the book to you and charging for a fancier powerpoint certificate template.

Not all coaching is rubbish. Coaching has a very important place in business especially for new managers who can be overwhelmed and need some guidance. But generally the coaches here should have 20+ years good business experience to draw from before they go into coaching. They ask questions that help the person being coached to find the right solution BUT the management/business coach needs to know where that right solution is to begin with in order to guide the person. They may have some qualifications in it but generally it's their years of business experience that they rely on.

In contrast a Life coach is generally someone with **** all experience beyond the life they have led so all they can coach is on that "life".

If you are looking for a coach check their website or social media profile. If the bulk of information is about the online certifications they bought then avoid them. If the bulk of the information is about their business and management experience and the coaching qualifications are there but secondary then that is the coach you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

McGaggs wrote: »
    TBH, people who care about this type of stuff definitely need some life coaching.
    There are certain things in life I have never accomplished.

And these things MIGHT be what some people consider basic tenets of moderate success.

Now they might not be for everyone. But i would say they are for many.

Therefore ..i don't really claim to be able to coach people in these areas.

Although ..having said that ..people can have a lot on credit ..you never know.

When i get my full drivers license you will never hear the end of me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I went to a Life Coach years ago. He had an unusual personality and I left in tears. Sorry I ever met the cnut.

I went to a Life Coach years ago. He had an unusual personality and I left in tears. Sorry I ever met the cnut.
    ****! :(

Actually my mom went to a counselor once ...and came back every time in tears ...then the counselor dumped and told her not to come back any more. Never explained why.

The woman seemed really erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

****! :(

Actually my mom went to a counselor once ...and came back every time in tears ...then the counselor dumped and told her not to come back any more. Never explained why.

The woman seemed really erratic.

That's pretty bad for a counsellor. Some people shouldn't be in their jobs.

Life coaches are for the same feeble minded eejits who go to faith healers and fortune tellers. If it makes you feel better, have at it, but don’t expect anyone else to think it’s a smart move on your part. While not often stated, most will think you to be a bit of a fool.

That's pretty bad for a counsellor. Some people shouldn't be in their jobs.
    Yeah.

That was just one bad experience though. She did find a good counselor after who was lovely. :)

I guess she knows the signs now.

Sorry you had your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

JayZeus wrote: »
    Life coaches are for the same feeble minded eejits who go to faith healers and fortune tellers. If it makes you feel better, have at it, but don’t expect anyone else to think it’s a smart move on your part. While not often stated, most will think you to be a bit of a fool.

True. Only good for geeks and weaks I reckon

JayZeus wrote: »
    I love fortune tellers ....life coaches much be the next stage for me! :p

Im joking.

In reality you are 100% right.

Fortune tellers , dating coaches life coaches etc. Career counselors to tbh. I mean are their careers so great?

It would be cool to have a real mentor though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I get contacted about once a week on LinkedIn by people with some variation of 'Helping People Achieve their Goals' in their description.

My goal which I'd like to achieve is to be contacted less frequently by these flutes. Perhaps they could help with that.

A quick glance at their bio usually shows modest educational attainments and zero high-profile references. Who the fk are these people?

The sheer neck of them to approach established, successful professionals like that. I'd be morto.

I make my own money myself, and you're not getting any, you parasites!

Advertisement