Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird obsession with Irish people living abroad.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It’d be more interesting to do it both ways. We have lots of Irish people who’ve made their home elsewhere and lot of people of people from elsewhere who’ve made their home in Ireland.

It would be a more balanced feature to show both inward and outward experience. They’re both part of life in Ireland and being Irish.

I think we sometimes get stuck in a 1950s/1980s narrative when the country is in reality a very different place with people moving to and fro in both directions all of which are generating Irish connections!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Apart from top ICU nurse, exceptional maybe but hardly terribly interesting, it's fairly ho-hum.

If you can't speak the language of whatever country you emigrated to in a couple of years god help you.
    How many languages do you speak as a matter of interest?

Getting to a near native level in any language is a real achievement, regardless of how long you live in a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

At least we are courteous enough not to start speaking German to Germans living here who we hear speaking accented English.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Move abroad by all means, just don't bore us to death your life experiences at 25. No one cares, except their mammies.
    When I'm at home I always get people asking about where I live/what I'm doing. Do you think they then complain about me answering those questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Hamachi

tdf7187 wrote: »
    We are one of the most travelled races, and even in the current, more prosperous and tolerant era, many people find simply Ireland too small or limiting to hold them. The gossiping, 'valley of the squinting windows' culture hasn't gone away and some people feel oppressed by it and need to get away - and stay away, in some cases. And it rains too much here. So there's nothing really odd about this 'weird obsession'. I would grant the IT overdoes it though.

That’s my point. If they find Ireland too limiting or are seeking to escape local gossip, by all means move abroad and chase the lifecycle and culture that best aligns with your outlook. But...

Don’t then turn around and submit your tedious musings to the Irish media, boring the arse off everybody else who is quite happy living here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

elperello wrote: »
    A rag as compared to what?

Opinion pieces are used to stimulate debate and interest in topics.

I suggest that you do what regular readers of the IT do, skip over the articles that don't interest you.

Out of all of the newspapers out there for sale, right up to the national enquirer with its bat boy stories the Irish times is beyond doubt the worst rag of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Getting to a near native level in any language is a real achievement, regardless of how long you live in a country.

Yeah it's great. Doesn't really make an interesting or valid feature in a newspaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hamachi wrote: »
    That’s my point. If they find Ireland too limiting or are seeking to escape local gossip, by all means move abroad and chase the lifecycle and culture that best aligns with your outlook. But...

Don’t then turn around and submit your tedious musings to the Irish media, boring the arse off everybody else who is quite happy living here.

I wouldn't have known anything about it, if someone didn't think it merited making a thread here.

Absolutely, near native ability requires extraordinary determination. Anybody who fails to understand this, clearly isn’t bilingual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When I'm at home I always get people asking about where I live/what I'm doing. Do you think they then complain about me answering those questions?

Good for you. I'm sure it's fascinating...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have known anything about it, if someone didn't think it merited making a thread here.

Presumably, you know where the ignore button is? Cheerio..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah it's great. Doesn't really make an interesting or valid feature in a newspaper though.

Front page news: person learns a language.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Presumably, you know where the ignore button is? Cheerio..

Presumably you know how to ignore newspaper articles!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Presumably you know how to ignore newspaper articles!

I do, but then I wouldn’t have the ‘pleasure’ of your exquisite company Bubbly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Deshawn wrote: »
    Out of all of the newspapers out there for sale, right up to the national enquirer with its bat boy stories the Irish times is beyond doubt the worst rag of the lot.

I must say I disagree completely with you.

For our size of population we are lucky in this country to have two quality daily newspapers The Irish Times and The Examiner.

They are both owned by The Irish Times Trust https://www.irishtimes.com/about-us/the-irish-times-trust.

Long may they prosper.

Advertisement