Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did you first go abroad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sounds so odd seeing the UK being referred to as "abroad"... Isle of Man?

Well, its a different country so it is abroad I guess? Maybe because you're British you have a different view of it? Would like to hear your view?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some of the other memories are best left unsaid :eek

That sounds sinister! I hope it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, its a different country so it is abroad I guess? Maybe because you're British you have a different view of it? Would like to hear your view?

Oh yes it is because I am Engish. Seems strange to see my homeland referred to as " abroad" ! And I never think of myself having moved " abroad" when I came to ireland. " Abroad" would be France etc. Odd that I thought of ireland as not abroad when I was planning the move too . I had lived a year here earlier

Perspectives are interesting !

That sounds sinister! I hope it wasn't

More embarrassing ( for my parents) than sinister! I have aired one of them on boards! About.. beachwear! lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

First time abroad when I was about 10, to Portugal

First time leaving Ireland, 29 to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chaoticawk

I still haven't been with a broad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    so you had your first born at fifteen ?

:confused: nope, just offering a generational comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I was 23 and I went to the U.S alone. It was both terrifying and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boston at age 2 I wanna say, might have been 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not sure, the younger i had done something, the less reliable I am as a source :P As I only remember the second time I was in England.

By the time I was 4/5 I had been to England twice and France once. England was to visit family. A tear was drawn when I heard of the demolition of Camelot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Which is late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

For many my age the first time you went abroad normally meant going to work on the buildings in England with the chance you might never again come home . Not that long either early eighties.
    Started secondary school with 20 boys in my class. , after inter cert 5 finished school and went to England to older brothers etc . Of the 15 that managed to do their leaving 11 went to England and of the other 4 two went to college because their parents could afford it and two took up family farms .
    Of the 16 that went to England , 4 or 5 still live there in varying set ups at this stage , one is super rich from building and two or three are nearly homeless from drink . Others went further to USA and Australia . About half returned home at some point .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My dad worked abroad when I was growing up so quite young...I would guess about 6/7 maybe.
    I think Saudi Arabia was the first or maybe Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I was 12. We went to France on the Ferry. Great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was in London in late 80's. Not common but there was a few 15 year old Irish lads working over there. Mad when I think of it and have kids of my own now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Boat from Dublin to Hollyhead when I was around 6. First time on a plane I was 17 and flew to Barcelona to work on the building of the Olympic village/ hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Never, I also don't plan on going abroad in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Parents immigrated 1974 I was about 10 months old, back and forth to the old sod every few years, returned in 1984,

never taken on a sun holiday per se with the folks, first time abroad alone was 17 or 18 Playa de las Americas with the then girlfriend, remember it still to this day, great time had would have been '90 or '91

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

First time abroad aged under 10 was to the island of Jersey with my parents. Around 1962.

Still remember visiting the Underground Hospital and learning about the German occupation. Around then you could buy small pocket sized war comics that were called 64's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

galway_lad wrote: »
    At what age did you first go abroad?.

Six years old when we went camping in the Isle of Man. Laxey Wheel, horse drawn trams, Snaefell mountain railway, cats without tails!

Not sure if that's 'abroad' though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I was 12. We went to France on the Ferry. Great holiday.

We had school trips to France on the ferry from England; my memories of the bad crossings...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭YellowLead

For me it was 16, to Lanzarote, paid for by myself from a summer job - went with a friends family and another girl. To be fair we were very well behaved at that stage but I still think the other girls parents were so good to have brought us, I’m not sure I’d take on somebody else’s teenagers - well behaved or not.
    My own family didn’t do Irish holidays even - could take a break from the farm for one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The only school trip I ever had was to jail. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Went on a family holiday to the Isle of Man when I was about 4 or 5. Don’t remember much of it but there was a single rail line and I was terrified that a train would come along the other way and crash in to us.

I remember being shocked years later to find lines like that existed in Ireland outside Dublin!!

Intend to go back to the IoM when all this crap is over.

Advertisement