Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there never ads for motorcycles on tv?

Options
  • 22-12-2020 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

As per the title why don’t Kawasaki or Yamaha etc ever advertise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sales are tiny, insurance is insane in this country as is the training to actually get a licence. I currently don't personally know a single person who owns one.

I'd love to get one but the hassle around obtaining a licence puts me off, pretty much a 5 year commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Sales are tiny, insurance is insane in this country as is the training to actually get a licence. I currently don't personally know a single person who owns one.

I'd love to get one but the hassle around obtaining a licence puts me off, pretty much a 5 year commitment.

5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

5 years?

If you want to be able to buy a max performance bike that's what I was lead to believe was possibly realistic, could be longer if you had a few failures. With a car licence you can drive a 4 litre if you want, no restrictions, cost of insurance may be Lotto money though :D

Insurance on the most powerful bike in this country should be €500, a bike is not likely to cause personal injury claims when it hits a car in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sales are tiny, insurance is insane in this country as is the training to actually get a licence.
    Mmm. They don't advertise motorbikes on TV in the UK either. Or in Australia, where I live. I don't think this is just down to Irish insurance premiums and licensing requirements.

I think the answer is that TV advertising is a massively expensive way of reaching a very wide mass market, and therefore it's not an attractive way of selling products with a very niche market. It would cost the same to make and broadcast an ad for a bike as it would for an ad for a car, but the potential sales of a motorbike are - what? 3%? 5% of the potential sales of the car? And the potential sale revenue is smaller again. So TV advertising for motorbikes doesn't make sense.

For motorbikes you want targeted marketing, which nowadays is easier and cheaper than ever to arrange. I haven't seen motorbike ads in any medium, that I recall. The likely explanation for this is not that there are no motorbike ads of any kind, but that I am not part of the target market, so the manufacturers don't waste their time and money showing me the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The test, lessons and license cost 2500 zl in Poland. That’s about 700 euro. What is it in Ireland.

• Advertisement

The test, lessons and license cost 2500 zl in Poland. That’s about 700 euro. What is it in Ireland.
    I'm sure it's much more, but that's not the point. Motorbike sales are a niche market in most or all developed economies, not because motorbikes and associated costs are excessive but because people prefer the advantages of cars - greater passenger and goods carrying capacity, better weather protection, superior safety, etc. Motorbike sales are less than 5% of car sales in Ireland, and the same is true in the UK and the US. (I don't have figures for Poland. Are motorbikes advertised on TV in Poland?)

I think it might be different in counties with a strong motor scooter culture - France, Italy, Spain. (Those countries tend to have Mediterranean climates, which I think is not a coincidence.) Whether motor scooters are advertised on TV in those countries, I cannot say, but I have certainly seen billboard advertising of motor scooters there.

I think we can probably divide the world into countries where people who have motorbikes mostly buy one instead of a car (can't afford or don't want a car, use motorbike for commuting/getting about) and those where they mostly buy one as well as a car or truck (use bike mainly for pleasure/recreation). In both cases it's a somewhat niche market, but different niches. Different advertising strategies will be followed in those two groups of countries.

If you want to be able to buy a max performance bike that's what I was lead to believe was possibly realistic,

Well you’re wrong.

I bought my first bike during the summer. Once I pass my test I’ll be able to drive any bike I want to buy.

I did my theory test one week, got my licence a week later.
    Then I did my IBT, 18 hours mandatory training.
    I’ll be applying for my driving test early in the new year.

There IS an age limitation when you are young but I think once you are over 25 (a dim and distant memory for me) you can go for whatever bike you want

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are a lot of Ads , depending on the platform, Eurosport have a lot of Ads for bikes primarily because they show racing.
    BT sport also show ads again because they have racing.
    If you use Youtube again MC content shows up on MC channels.

Insurance isn't really that onerous, neither is the licensing if you go about it in a reasonable way and you are over 24.
    I do see the need for good training and a graduated license, bikes have way more performance than cars and even a 10 year old 1000cc machine makes modern performance cars look like your grannies Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Interesting question. The factors listed so far are true, small sales etc.

I think you have to separate bikes into two categories, "real" motorcycles that are ridden by enthusiasts who choose to ride a bike, and the scooters etc for people just looking for cheap transport.

When I was an enthusiast biker many moons ago, we would all buy mags or papers ('Bike' and 'Motor Cycle News' being my choice) so that was the place manufactures would advertise. Guess it's pretty much the same now but mostly online.

No idea where the commuter stuff is advertised though.

Interesting question. The factors listed so far are true, small sales etc.

I think you have to separate bikes into two categories, "real" motorcycles that are ridden by enthusiasts who choose to ride a bike, and the scooters etc for people just looking for cheap transport.

When I was an enthusiast biker many moons ago, we would all buy mags or papers ('Bike' and 'Motor Cycle News' being my choice) so that was the place manufactures would advertise. Guess it's pretty much the same now but mostly online.

No idea where the commuter stuff is advertised though.
    Vespas and so forth would be advertised in newspapers and on billboards in Italy. Ads focus on (a) price and (b) style/lifestyle because, let's face it, performance is not an issue; if you're interested in performance you're not buying a scooter. I never saw TV ads for them, but I haven't watched much Italian TV because it's so unremittingly awful. They might be advertised on programmes or channels that cater to the target market, which is basically young singles who are late teens or early adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Actually, I'd more class Vespas / Lambrettas in with the enthusiast in that it's a lifestyle choice. I guess I'm thinking of the mods in the uk and cafe culture as you say in Italy etc with warmer climate.

What I meant by scooters was the things common here that are actually pretty big physically but small engine and feet forward riding position, and lots of plastic bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm sure it's much more, but that's not the point. Motorbike sales are a niche market in most or all developed economies, not because motorbikes and associated costs are excessive but because people prefer the advantages of cars - greater passenger and goods carrying capacity, better weather protection, superior safety, etc. Motorbike sales are less than 5% of car sales in Ireland, and the same is true in the UK and the US. (I don't have figures for Poland. Are motorbikes advertised on TV in Poland?)

I think it might be different in counties with a strong motor scooter culture - France, Italy, Spain. (Those countries tend to have Mediterranean climates, which I think is not a coincidence.) Whether motor scooters are advertised on TV in those countries, I cannot say, but I have certainly seen billboard advertising of motor scooters there.

I think we can probably divide the world into countries where people who have motorbikes mostly buy one instead of a car (can't afford or don't want a car, use motorbike for commuting/getting about) and those where they mostly buy one as well as a car or truck (use bike mainly for pleasure/recreation). In both cases it's a somewhat niche market, but different niches. Different advertising strategies will be followed in those two groups of countries.

Historically in Ireland, say up to the 70s, many a lad's (and it was by and large men) first motorised transport was a motorbike.
    That has seemed to have disappeared almost entirely, probably down to cost and comfort.

Historically in Ireland, say up to the 70s, many a lad's (and it was by and large men) first motorised transport was a motorbike.
    That has seemed to have disappeared almost entirely, probably down to cost and comfort.
    It's mainly down to prosperity. Motoring is expensive in Ireland relative to other countries but, nevertheless, because of rising earnings it's much more affordable than it was in the 1970s. And people who can afford cars, for the most part, will choose cars over motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Well you’re wrong.

I bought my first bike during the summer. Once I pass my test I’ll be able to drive any bike I want to buy.

I did my theory test one week, got my licence a week later.
    Then I did my IBT, 18 hours mandatory training.
    I’ll be applying for my driving test early in the new year.

There IS an age limitation when you are young but I think once you are over 25 (a dim and distant memory for me) you can go for whatever bike you want

You don't have a licence. What tou have is a learning permit

rock22 wrote: »
    You don't have a licence. What tou have is a learning permit

And I use it every day when driving

But thanks for pointing out the thread pedant.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

The OP did pose a good question. I'd say the answers are right, the market is too small to justify the expense of putting on ads for them.

A portion of purchasers of new bikes would be young people buying scooters/mopeds. They don't watch terrestrial TV (I assume, I'm an old fart).

And in places where the market is big enough to warrant it, e.g. France, Spain, and Italy, there are TV ads for motorbikes.

Also, there are many other things that don't advertise on TV, and would have a large enough market. I was thinking of horses, dogs or cows, but there isn't a comparable large manufacturer of same, like there would be Kawasaki, Yamaha etc. How's about chainsaws, or computers? You don't see Dell or HP advertising PCs. Sure, you see them advertising phones or tablets (where the mark-up is I assume bigger), but not desktops. Is that a comparable analogy? Or maybe photocopiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I lived in the US for 7 years and never saw an ad for one there either. My mate had a Kawasaki Ninja 750 and he used to go blasting along the coast roads of Long Island with herds of other bike nutters. We were 24 at the time and I asked him how these guys could afford these gleaming rockets...CBR's, GSXR 1100's, etc and he just shrugged and said "low monthly payments, dude."

Half of them are probably still paying and the other half are either in the grave or a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Slightly off-topic but the first time I ever saw an ad on TV for a supercar was around 2008 and it was for the Audi R8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The reasons you do not see advertisements on TV for motorcycles are:
    • an advertisement could not describe the motorcycle specification in a minute
    • motorcycles have a great deal of variety: off-road; commuter; sports; touring
    • visuals are less important to motorcyclists
    • the market is smaller: TV ad cost would be too great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I really don't know why they're not promoted more by the Gov instead of this electric vehicle nonsense. They don't cause congestion, use barely any fuel, and get you wherever you want to go in no time. I was insured on one before but for me I didn't really need it as I can get to work by bicycle but they are great machines.

• Advertisement

I really don't know why they're not promoted more by the Gov instead of this electric vehicle nonsense. They don't cause congestion, use barely any fuel, and get you wherever you want to go in no time. I was insured on one before but for me I didn't really need it as I can get to work by bicycle but they are great machines.

Given that Ireland is quite the nanny state I'd say it's a matter of safety as to why they don't push them.

You're correct with all your points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Why do you think EVs are nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am shopping for an upgraded bike at the moment and my Google ads are nothing but bikes.
    Insurance is not that bad. Same as cars, its expensive at the start.
    Tax is dirt cheap.
    Parking is zero.
    MPG is massive.
    You can skip to the top of most traffic jams.
    Whats not to like.?

I am shopping for an upgraded bike at the moment and my Google ads are nothing but bikes.
    Insurance is not that bad. Same as cars, its expensive at the start.
    Tax is dirt cheap.
    Parking is zero.
    MPG is massive.
    You can skip to the top of most traffic jams.
    Whats not to like.?

Is it legal to do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

As per the title why don’t Kawasaki or Yamaha etc ever advertise?

2% of the market I believe so yeah tiny. Insurance isn't actually that bad here compared to cars tbh. I've two 1000cc bikes and I pay 290 fully comp for the year. If your starting out though its a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Is it legal to do this?

Never been stopped and have done it with squad cars in the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Is it legal to do this?

Not legal but I always do it. Been stopped once in over 30 years because of it and just told to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why do you think EVs are nonsense?

I think building societies around private car use leads to sprawl and congestion and all kinds of problems. Whether they run on petrol or not makes no difference really, apart from air quality.

No need to pay for expensive ads either when YouTube is full of bike channels who will gladly advertise your bike with glowing reviews if you give them a demo bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Slightly off-topic but the first time I ever saw an ad on TV for a supercar was around 2008 and it was for the Audi R8.

Porsche are currently running ads on Sky News.

They are nicely produced and almost look like part of the programming.

Based on motorsport they are more brand reinforcement than actually trying to sell a specific model.

Advertisement