Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway to Dublin Autobhan?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Agree with the above. You only have to take a relatively short journey say 5 km round trip now and there is probably one instance per kilometer of complete dangerous jerkary that you have to interact with...

Nobody seems to have a fûcking notion as to how to use a roundabout.

The speed limit is suggestive to some rather then a limit.

A red traffic light the same.

People who need / want to change lanes ermmmmm ...I’m pretty sure you need wait for a gap asshole...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The state of Irish driving has gone rapidly down hill in the last 10 years or so. It was bad enough during the Tiger years with people thinking their journey is more important than anyone elses. But then the crash happened and the first thing in the Gardai to get cut was the traffic corps. Suddenly there was next to no enforcement of the rules of the road and as people saw there was no consequences all sorts of bad habits crept in and then spread among more and more drivers.

Breaking of red lights became commonplace as people see you always get away with it. At this stage on a roundabout I can look ahead and behind me and I'll be the only one using my indicators, it really has gone to pot. I remember there was a poster on here who said they purposely dont use their indicators on roundabouts because they enjoy pissing other drivers off, thats the kind of meatheads youre dealing with on the roads plus theyre getting away with it all the time.

I was overtaken at the entrance to a busy roundabout yesterday on a road with a 50 km/h speed limit. I could see the cars approaching from the right, was waiting to enter when this arsehole flew by me to the right from behind, forced his way in front of oncoming traffic and on through the roundabout. I'm still amazed of the whimsical level of not giving a **** that was present. Should be off the road but will plough on until he ploughs into someone. That was probably the worst but not the only sketchy incident. We're nowhere near civilised enough for autobahns. I'd say we're closer to current limits being reduced and having cameras installed everywhere.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Youtube autobahn crashes to see how 'disciplined' Germans are.

There's a lot of 'new' Germans these days who drive like idiots. Lot of native Germans drive like idiots too, having said that.

I think it could be worth piloting. Pick a 10 or 20km stretch with no exits. Give it a year and see how it works. If all hell breaks loose after a year we bin it. Do public ad campaigns and tell people what they need to be thinking about when driving there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Do public ad campaigns and tell people what they need to be thinking about when driving there.

I think we need public ad campaigns to tell people how they need to drive on the motorways we currently have.... never mind proposed new ‘autobahn’ sections.

3 lane motorways are the worst thing Irish drivers were given in the last 10-15 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

That motorway is notorious for speeding already.

• Advertisement

German style speed limits are like Swiss style referendums in that people claim we're backwards for not copying them, but they also can't name a 2nd example of a country who has adopted them.

If it's such an inarguably great idea, why has not one other country on earth adopted it?
    When the first motorway was opened in the UK, it did not have a speed limit.
    After a series of high speed crashes, they introduced the 70mph limit. Parts of Australia don't have speed limits as the roads are so empty and the distances are so vast, that going fast can cut hours off the journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A better idea would be to ban old people from driving on motorways.

Minimum speed limits would be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Strumms wrote: »
    Agree with the above. You only have to take a relatively short journey say 5 km round trip now and there is probably one instance per kilometer of complete dangerous jerkary that you have to interact with...

The speed limit is suggestive to some rather then a limit.

A red traffic light the same.

People who need / want to change lanes ermmmmm ...I’m pretty sure you need wait for a gap asshole...

You can really see how many stupid/selfish people there are out there when you regularly drive on the motorways.

The latest one for me seems to be pulling out into the overtaking lane just as I'm approaching causing me to brake.

When I'm in the same situation I will use my mirrors and if I will end up causing someone to slow I will wait until they pass before I move out.

It really isn't that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Difference between autobahn and Ireland is the quality of the cars also.

Seamus thinking he can go 200 kmph in a 1ltr Micra...

It IS fun to drive an autobahn. There are speed limits in many places and rightly so.

Ireland’s road while speed limits should be increased imho on SOME roads should remain for the most part.

I cannot understand how ring of Kerry is 100 kmph for the most part, but roads which are dual carriageway ways around Kildare and Dublin are 50-80kmph...makes no sense.

Here in the states the flow of traffic is taken into consideration. I90 is 70mph now, most do 80mph but in Chicago it can be 90mph without being stopped by police. If the traffic is all doing it, you have to keep up to avoid slow drivers causing accidents. ... oh yeah... we also have minimum speed limits too here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Strumms wrote: »

The worst offenders in that respect are the ones who think they know how to use a roundabout, but don't realise that you're not supposed to accelerate aggressively into it, totally oblivious of any potential hazards.

A lot of drivers (mainly male ones) have a dangerously territorial attitude towards driving. Obsessed with priority, not allowing traffic to merge (because I got here first), not allowing buses to pull out from bus stops and accelerating to prevent a bus from getting in front of them, accelerating into roundabouts and then jamming on the brakes and blasting the horn when someone misjudges their speed and emerges in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

galway_lad wrote: »
    Around about this time of year, I'd often find myself "driving home for Christmas" (ha!) along the Dublin to Galway motorway. I was thinking, should we copy the German system and have no speed limits on sections where it makes sense? Most of that road is fine for much higher speeds than allowed for.

Also it could link the two sides of the country in a more meaningful way. I do know people who often commute from county Galway to Dublin, imagine if we made it much easier. It would alleviate the housing crisis in the capital, and be more fun.

I'm sure other sections around the country could do likewise. Seems like a winner to me?
    I don't trust irish intelligence enough for this.

Im irish myself ....and i have to be honest ..my first reaction was ...we are too thick to be trusted with this.

Advertisement