Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Christmas Party 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The annual Xmas party punch-up isn't as good online :(

Seasons Beatings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nothing. I'm secretly pleased about it.

The best part of Christmas party is going for a little pre-drink with 4 or 5 closest colleagues. Then the downer - just when you are getting settled in to a nice convo you have to wrap it up and join the main Darwinian sh*t show where everyone is looking around the room at everyone else, and some w@nker is not drinking but going around taking photos of everyone.
    Do you like your new camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My sisters company decided not to do a group party but instead each team would have their own party. So they booked a table for 13 in a local restaurant and thankfully no one agreed to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hamachi wrote: »
    Find this mentality hard to understand. It’s one evening annually where you have some food and a few beers with colleagues. It’s easy to gravitate towards the people with whom you naturally connect. It’s also an opportunity to meet and build a rapport with folks, you wouldn’t ordinarily interact with very much.

They aren’t strangers. Your colleagues are people you spend most time with, outside of family and really close friends. Is it really that much of a chore to show up, put a smile on your face, and have a bit of craic for the evening. Can’t fathom how this is such a trial, except for an extreme misanthrope.

I get on well with my colleagues. Some of them I see socially outside of work. The thing is our party is booked by a head office person who thinks a Joe Dolan tribute act in some remote hotel is great craic altogether. We usually avoid it and do our own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

seamus wrote: »
    Some people hate their jobs and the people that they work with, and resent having to spend any more minutes in their company than necessary.

I'm not judging, but it does leave me bemused that someone would choose to remain in such a role rather than go for the easy life. You don't have to be best mates with any of your colleagues, but it's kind of essential that I at least feel comfortable in the company of colleagues. Attending work every day and being uncomfortable and tense is a recipe for mental health issues.

Some people feel they can't get another job at their current salary and with a mortgage and kids are stuck where they are.

Can't afford to leave and just have to suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zoom beers.
    Everyone got a nice hamper instead of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The annual Xmas party punch-up isn't as good online :(

Calling your boss a wanker is a bit riskier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

We got the option of donating to a charity or doing zoom call with takeaway. Everybody chose the charity option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

tempnam wrote: »
    €500 One 4 All voucher and 6 bottles of wine

We used to get the one 4 all voucher until we complained about were you cant spend it , now we get a MasterCard gift card you can use it anywhere,
    petrol stations, supermarkets takeaways etc..., might seem a ungrateful bunch but those one 4 alls are a pain.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    We used to get the one 4 all voucher until we complained about were you cant spend it , now we get a MasterCard gift card you can use it anywhere,
    petrol stations, supermarkets takeaways etc..., might seem a ungrateful bunch but those one 4 alls are a pain.

I know One4All were always used because they are not taxable up to €500. Is this the same with Mastercard?

• Advertisement

walshtipp wrote: »
    I know One4All were always used because they are not taxable up to €500. Is this the same with Mastercard?

God yes, my boss wouldn't do it otherwise, our cards are by swirl, you can check on line on your spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

We had a wine and cheese evening, which would have been better if it hadn't been trying to be interactive! There were almost 50 people on the line so it was just a little bit painful with people not being on mute or several people going to speak at the same time, or worst of all, the awkward silence.

It's nice that they made the effort though! Our Christmas parties are usually fab, so hoping it will be back to 'normal' next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No party this year, declined the online party bs using poor internet as an excuse.Donations made to two local charities in lieu of annual party. Win win.
    Upside a substantial bonus for working throughout the ****storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Nothing. However there's some gifts on my desk that I can go in and collect at a time of my choosing. Will likely be March.

Better hope someone didn't get you a turkey.

Hate to see businesses encouraging drinking by doing wine tastings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

You wouldn't like to know how much alcohol was consumed during my work Christmas party last year, so :pac: Definitely less drinking when the 'parties' are remote/online!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Wine tasting are better than free bars of which I've been known to take advantage of on occasion.

Remember one year at our Christmas departmental night out. We always got three dri k tokens. Next morning I woke with the worst hangover ever but with 19 tokens in my pocket after not spending a red cent. Ohh those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some people feel they can't get another job at their current salary and with a mortgage and kids are stuck where they are.

Can't afford to leave and just have to suck it up.

In that case, the Xmas party is the least of their worries!

Seriously though, anybody even approaching that situation needs a serious slap in the face. Skill up/across etc and change jobs. There is no point being miserable working in a job you don't like (or with people you don't like) long-term.

dotsman wrote: »
    In that case, the Xmas party is the least of their worries!

Seriously though, anybody even approaching that situation needs a serious slap in the face. Skill up/across etc and change jobs. There is no point being miserable working in a job you don't like (or with people you don't like) long-term.

At a certain stage it just isn't possible due to real life scenario. Not everyone can afford to go back to college, not everyone can afford the time due to family situation. Unless it is forced in you due to place of employment closing down or your job just disappearing the most would just plod along,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Patsy167 wrote:
    Anyway, Work Christmas Party 2020 - What does yours look like?

Less coke this year, but no masks, everyone on top of each other all night, I dunno, people are odd with how they get their kicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

We had a Zoom party with a quiz & it was a bit of a laugh. Voucher for Smyths for anyone who had kids & a food voucher for everyone which should cover 1 takeaway which is grand. Honestly it was nice & easy & better than I expected.

And what if you don't have kids but still wanted the Smyths voucher? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

FromMe2You can be used at Tesco... very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We got nothing but then we just spent the last 9 months sitting at home watching box sets...... Allegedly.

We got nothing but then we just spent the last 9 months sitting at home watching box sets...... Allegedly.

God damn civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

We were all just given an extra day's annual leave in lieu of the party. And a nice wee voucher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No one is being forced to do it

mrcheez wrote: »
    FromMe2You can be used at Tesco... very handy
    Swirl mastercard gift card can be use at any supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Hamachi wrote: »
    Find this mentality hard to understand. It’s one evening annually where you have some food and a few beers with colleagues. It’s easy to gravitate towards the people with whom you naturally connect. It’s also an opportunity to meet and build a rapport with folks, you wouldn’t ordinarily interact with very much.

They aren’t strangers. Your colleagues are people you spend most time with, outside of family and really close friends. Is it really that much of a chore to show up, put a smile on your face, and have a bit of craic for the evening. Can’t fathom how this is such a trial, except for an extreme misanthrope.

It's possible to enjoy your job and the people you work with but dislike the company wide Christmas parties. For large companies with 300+ employees, many of the people at the company will be complete strangers. You may have never seen them before and never will again so plastering a fake interest for the night can seem a little pointless.

The best Christmas parties are usually the small team or department ones.

Advertisement