Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman “discriminated” barbers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Just as stupid as the helpdesk thread about the term "being a dick" is sexist.

Quite rightly a snowflake got melted

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058141145

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

barber
    /ˈbɑːbə/

noun
    a person who cuts men's hair and shaves or trims beards as an occupation.
    "he had his hair cut at the local barber's"
    verb
    cut or trim (a man's hair).
    "his hair was neatly barbered"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The excuse doesn't sound too plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

ITs not discrimination. She was looking for a payout. Hairdresser in my experience cannot cut a mans hair properly. Go to the barber and get the job done properly.

She is the type of person to ask for fish and chip in a library

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

She'll be yapping about Durex next because the condoms don't fit her non existent mickey ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Smee_Again wrote: »
    The excuse doesn't sound too plausible.

Oh yeah cause an insurance company would never put in stupid clauses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭KH25

Is the insurance thing a real thing? Surely they can cut anyone’s hair who wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ITs not discrimination. She was looking for a payout. Hairdresser in my experience cannot cut a mans hair properly. Go to the barber and get the job done properly.

How is male hair different to female hair?

The insurance thing is real. There was a case brought before The Equality Tribunal a few years ago.

It's more manly.....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,087 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Men don't sue if they fcuk it up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I remember reading a feature in the indo 10-15 years ago where a woman went to a barber instead of a hairdresser. She found it much better because there was less bull**** around the process, and no need for appointments. So it can be done. The only thing is, an individual barber may not be confident in their ability to give a woman a haircut she'd be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There's no difference but a barber's skills are very different to a hairdresser.

I still don't get why the barber refused her as I don't believe the insurance issue.

I also don't understand why she wanted her haircut there as there's not exactly a shortage of hairdressers out there unless she really wanted a fade and a beard trim.

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's no difference but a barber's skills are very different to a hairdresser.

I still don't get why the barber refused her as I don't believe the insurance issue.

I also don't understand why she wanted her haircut there as there's not exactly a shortage of hairdressers out there unless she really wanted a fade and a beard trim.

Well, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The insurance thing is real. There was a case brought before The Equality Tribunal a few years ago.

here it is:

https://www.thejournal.ie/barber-women-woman-discriminate-hair-equality-2106015-May2015/
    IT HAS BEEN ruled that a barber shop that refused a woman a haircut did not discriminate.

The Equality Tribunal has ruled that the woman concerned was not discriminated against on grounds of gender under the Equal Status Acts.

[...]

Rather, they stated that the business is operated as a barber shop where the staff are qualified in the cutting of men’s hair.

It is also specified that the insurance the business operates under is specifically for the cutting of men’s hair.

Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

She is either looking for an easy payout (like the people who stage minor car accidents and then sue for whiplash), or, worse, she's one of the growing number of sociopaths who are obsessed with finding things to get offended about, and are happy to ruin businesses and cause people to lose their jobs in order to make some abstruse point that only makes sense to them and other like them.

These people are becoming a real problem, and it is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

here it is:

That's the one. I remember asking me own barber about it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

McGaggs wrote: »
    I remember reading a feature in the indo 10-15 years ago where a woman went to a barber instead of a hairdresser. She found it much better because there was less bull**** around the process, and no need for appointments. So it can be done. The only thing is, an individual barber may not be confident in their ability to give a woman a haircut she'd be happy with.

Barbers I go to cut women's hair, but don't think all the barbers working there cut women's hair. Think three of the five do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

murpho999 wrote: »

Quite likely because €15 is a lot less than €45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Happens from time to time, some barbers don't have the insurance for womens hair, and some do.

My barber maintained it for a few years, but as the amount of women coming in for haircuts from him was quite low he just stopped getting the insurance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Liability is all about whats in the policy document and I work for an insurers IT Dept.So if your policy document specifically references only cut hair of men your **** out of luck if a claim comes in from a woman upset a product you used did x or y damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

I insist that the Society should be not sexist but such store could exist although. We, male, can have stuff for male only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My old barber used to cut womens hair. Women with very short hair or buzz cuts. There's no reason to go to a hair dresser for that and to get robbed.

There must be a 'Karen Clause' in the insurance preventing the barber cutting a females hair........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

It doesn't take 2 hours to cut a male's hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This issue came up before the barber got stung because they didn't understand the law.

It's pretty common in some places that a barber or hairdresser will agree in their lease to not cut men's or women's hair.

This lets the landlord bring in both types of business without one competing with the other.

It is, however, illegal to refuse to provide a service to someone on the basis of gender. If a woman walks into a barber asking for a straightforward cut that any man would get, the barber cannot legally refuse. Same for men going into a "women's" hairdresser.

What they can do is refuse to provide services which they're not qualified to do. So highlights (or even dye), or whatever. But if they can provide the service, they cannot say, "No, we don't serve women (or men) here".

And rightly so.

The win in the Liffey Valley case seems to be more down to the fact that the woman was looking for a cut that the barber's did not feel confident doing; that wouldn't be typical of a barber's. They didn't win it on the insurance issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Male hair is just different. Female hair tends to be finer. It is usually longer. Its a different material. Its like comparing diesel with petrol engines. Then you have more anomalies. Calfs licks, baldness patterns etc. Its not as straight forward as run of a razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm female, I have an undercut. I often get it done in the barbers... My hairdresser can do it (e.g. if I'm getting a cut and colour, I'll ask them to shave the undercut too if it needs to be done) but I find barbers do a waaaaay neater job. Also I often like to get cool designs shaved into it, and I don't know of any hairdressers able to do that.

I've never been turned away from a barbers, but if I was, I'd just happily go away and take my money to someone who's happy to do it. Life's to short to go making a fuss and crying discrimination over something so minor, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Elderly ladies get pissed off that they are still paying €40 at the 'hairdresser' for their short back and sides but men can get it done for €10 down the street.

Advertisement