Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge increase in the amount of chicken from China for sale in Ireland - Good or Bad?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Honest question here, what are the differences in conditions for battery chickens in Ireland and Thailand/China? I've eaten plenty of chicken in Thailand and China and never detected any major difference in taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunfyy wrote: »
    China washes it's produce in bleech
    I wash my hands in chlorinated water too, believe it or not I even drink the stuff!! very similar to sodium hypochlorite.
    Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Supermacs advertise fresh, never frozen, 100% Irish chicken too. Tasty and tempting, didn't you know.
    not sure if you are being sarcastic, but like Romayos I doubt they mean all chicken products are Irish.

https://www.supermacs.ie/100-irish-chicken/
    Our new partnership with Love Irish Food exemplifies our commitment to utilizing quality Irish produce whenever possible.

All Supermac’s meat products served at Supermac’s restaurants and Papa John’s pizza outlets are 100% traceable and are Irish farm assured. This includes our fresh chicken, which is sourced exclusively from Irish farms.
    This sounds like clever marketing speak, the fresh chicken is Irish, but what about all the frozen stuff, and what % sold is fresh or frozen?

The "whenever possible" might be another clever clause. I thought Romayos used only Irish potatoes in their chips but heard a recent interview saying they use some UK ones, but I think it is at least mainly Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Have we not had chicken from Vietnam for years? why is this news. China would be a good few grades up from Vietnam at doing stuff.

UK and India post brexit trade deal should see some interesting stuff in the chiller at Centra

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Roald Dahl

rubadub wrote: »
    I wash my hands in chlorinated water too, believe it or not I even drink the stuff!! very similar to sodium hypochlorite.

not sure if you are being sarcastic, but like Romayos I doubt they mean all chicken products are Irish.

https://www.supermacs.ie/100-irish-chicken/

This sounds like clever marketing speak, the fresh chicken is Irish, but what about all the frozen stuff, and what % sold is fresh or frozen?

The "whenever possible" might be another clever clause. I thought Romayos used only Irish potatoes in their chips but heard a recent interview saying they use some UK ones, but I think it is at least mainly Irish.

LOL, it did sound smartalecky, but if their chicken is always fresh then I see no way that it could be anything but Irish.

Somewhat spookily, a video popped up for me in YouTube autoplay a couple of days ago, even though I had not been searching for it in any way.

It was a report by a German TV station on the extent to which Chinese food products are silently present in the European supply; processed tomatoes and mushrooms, apple juice, sausage skins from animal intestines and fruit jams, among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Honest question here, what are the differences in conditions for battery chickens in Ireland and Thailand/China? I've eaten plenty of chicken in Thailand and China and never detected any major difference in taste.

There are no battery chickens in Ireland or the EU. There are enriched cages for non free range egg laying birds alright. Chickens raised for meat are kept indoors but not caged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Growing up there was no choice - Ireland supplied all our food.
    Glad I am Vegan now with all of the uncertainty of food sourcing.

Advertisement