Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa books

• 11-12-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Any good recommendations this Christmas or sports books in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭kksaints

It depends on the type of books that your interested in. There's lots of GAA biographies and autobiographies but lots of them are mediocre and really it depends on how much interest you had in a team as to whether you'll enjoy it or not. Jim McGuiness's one is an exception to this, it's very good.
    Paul Rouse's books are usually very good if you're into the history of the GAA. I particularly liked his The GAA : A People's History from a few years ago.

As for non-gaa sports books. Richie Sadlier's autobiography is very excellent. Very stark and candid. Calcio by John Foot is slightly old now but is excellently written and is the template for sport books on sport history within a country. Goes way beyond the on pitch action and into the politics and media coverage of football in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭fire_man

When the world stops watching by Damien Lalor looks interesting. Not that interested in B Brogans book.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I just finished brogan’s one. Only ok I thought, nothing too interesting. Grand like but I think he’s only just gone and didn’t want to spill the beans on much when a nice few of his friends and team mates are still there

Advertisement