Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas! "Alone"

Options
  • 11-12-2020 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Ok folks so I need some help.

The prospects this year are I'm going to be alone for Christmas. Between me and my x breaking up my parents in another country and there in there 70s and I dont want to risk giving them c19. My brother and his marriage aint great, so that's a none runner.

I've no car.

With the prospect of Christmas alone what would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

First up, I'd have the house decorated - at least a tree up.

I'd buy myself a big present, wrap it and leave it under the tree the night before. Something I don't need but really want. Then I'd get up early and come down and open it. Then I'd have a big fry-up. Depending what the present was, I'd set it up/use it.

Then I'd spend a bit on time contacting family and friends. Start preparing a Christmas dinner for one (with boned and rolled turkey) with plenty of leftovers, to be ready around 3. Enjoy that for an hour. After that, get stuck into a movie. Round 7, I'd make a snack from the leftovers.

I'd have bought another few small presents for myself, and open them around now. Then get stuck into another good movie. I'm not a big drinker, so I'd probably steer clear of alcohol during the day, but might have a beer or a Baileys around nine or so. Finish up watching couple of episodes of a comedy TV series before bed.

But that's just me. There's plenty of others who would go the anti-Christmas direction. Personally, I'd lean into it.

Ultrflat wrote: »

The prospects this year are I'm going to be alone for Christmas. Between me and my x breaking up my parents in another country and there in there 70s and I dont want to risk giving them c19. My brother and his marriage aint great, so that's a none runner.

I've no car.

Just treat it like duvet day - schedule a list of films/shows to watch, eat and drink what you like, when you like and just enjoy it on your own terms.

Most people who are with others are just eating and watching tv too , so remind yourself that everyone else isn't having an amazing festive day like on telly. It is just a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have to agree with the above , i think if you make the effort for the day you will enjoy it more and it will fly by.

A boned and rolled turkey is a great idea , if you commit to cooking a proper christmas dinner alot of your time will go into that on the day anyway. Maybe line up a film or two that you were waiting to see for that night and relax with a drink when your all tidied up after the dinner.

I actually wouldnt mind a christmas alone the odd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would be inclined to treat it as a duvet day but shower when you get yo to be ready to chat with family and friends at different times throughout the day.

I wouldn't be inclined to do a full Christmas on your own, but if you're a handy cook then maybe treat yourself so something you like, like a roast chicken.

In short, I'd plan to do Christmas next year when it's safe to see your parents. Arrange to have a full Christmas dinner in March or April or whenever is safe - turkey or whatever you do with our family.

People make a big deal out of christmas. For me the good thing about it is family and this year you cant have family through a quirk of fate which is not in your control. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Plenty of whatever alcohol floats your boat and something lined up to watch on tv or games to play etc. I love being alone on xmas personally much to the chagrin of my ever suffering partner.... One of the best ones I had was back in the day in London and all my flatmates left and I had the run of the place for a few days. Heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've lined up all my micro-machines at the top of the stairs, the only problem is now how do I get downstairs now?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A big box of chocolates and watch tv all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I'd buy myself a big present, wrap it and leave it under the tree the night before. Something I don't need but really want. Then I'd get up early and come down and open it. Then I'd have a big fry-up. Depending what the present was, I'd set it up/use it.

Then I'd spend a bit on time contacting family and friends. Start preparing a Christmas dinner for one (with boned and rolled turkey) with plenty of leftovers, to be ready around 3. Enjoy that for an hour. After that, get stuck into a movie. Round 7, I'd make a snack from the leftovers.

I'd have bought another few small presents for myself, and open them around now. Then get stuck into another good movie. I'm not a big drinker, so I'd probably steer clear of alcohol during the day, but might have a beer or a Baileys around nine or so. Finish up watching couple of episodes of a comedy TV series before bed.

But that's just me. There's plenty of others who would go the anti-Christmas direction. Personally, I'd lean into it.

That.

Saved me typing, I’m doing exactly that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Book a hotel, Live it up

''Hunter’s Yard at Mount Juliet Estate is worth it for the culinary experience alone. Christmas here is a magical affair – Champagne toasts at every turn, and whispers of a surprise visit from the Man in Red. A three-night festive stay here includes mulled wine on arrival and a relaxed dinner in the Hound restaurant on Christmas Eve, traditional Christmas lunch in Hunter’s Yard on Christmas Day with a delicious supper and festive music that night, and on St Stephen’s Day, lunch, dinner and either a falconry or equestrian activity on the estate. The package at the Kilkenny five-star starts at €849 per person sharing''

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've no car.

Other years there are charities looking for helpers for the day. Not sure if that’s a thing this year but helping others amd realising there’s others worse off than you can’t be bad. Even a few hours of your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If youre in a city/large town, go out for a walk/cycle around - its pretty cool/eerie with the empty streets and complete lack or people or traffic about in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Do you know anyone in similar circumstances? Maybe a zoom chat n drinks with brother or friends. Video call with folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'd sit back and pull my plum followed by a turkey and ham dinner.

No commitments, nobody wrecking your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Enjoy the peace

ebbsy wrote: »

Just wash your hands in between. The ham is salty enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sounds like bliss tbh. I would take that over Christmas with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

ebbsy wrote: »

No commitments, nobody wrecking your head.

You win ha ha

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Sounds like bliss tbh. I would take that over Christmas with the family.

I know! Writing it, I was thinking "this is exactly what I want to do!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Home Alone 1 and 2. 10 cans, chicken roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have a Tommy tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I might be alone this year due to Covid.

If I am I'll shower and put on new lounge wear, have a selection of party food instead of a big dinner, then later sweets, nibbles and some alcohol while watching TV.

I vary from feeling nostalgic and sad to looking forward to it. I'll still exchange presents even if it's a doorstep drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Just treat it like duvet day - schedule a list of films/shows to watch, eat and drink what you like, when you like and just enjoy it on your own terms.

Most people who are with others are just eating and watching tv too , so remind yourself that everyone else isn't having an amazing festive day like on telly. It is just a day.

Your onto something. I may have to get prepared for this. Thank you for that.
    I think a nice peace of wagyu for my Christmas dinner my be in order :D

I suppose I can do anything I want to do, I kind of concentrated on the O crap I'm on my own for Christmas. But its My Christmas I did not think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've no car.

do you like narcotics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I won't be alone this Christmas. But I have bought the first 5 books in Iain M Banks's Culture Series for a readathon over the holidays between cooking and baking sessions. Been meaning to read these books for ages. If I was alone for Christmas I would light the stove, happily lie on the couch with a blanket and lots of cushions, and something nice for eating that I could pop in the oven when needed, and I would read this series all day, except for when I closed my eyes to rest them. It better be as good as I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You win ha ha

Unless OP is a female...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Unless OP is a female...

Don't kid yourself, women pull their plums too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,876 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Treat the hell out of yourself...

Decorate the place..

Get yourself something nice, a games console or if you have one already..two or three new games for it.. help pass the time..

Also, Netflix if you don’t already have..

Some new clothes..nibbles and the works for food...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Unless OP is a female...

I am a none binary meat popsicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I am a none binary meat popsicle!

In that case, pull some slices off yourself and enjoy the dinner :)

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

I've no car.

Do all your favourite things that your ex wouldn't let you do. Just back from Court with her on the other side of the country. Now I can play football in the house, eat chocolate for breakfast (and excellent wine for breakfast), drill a pullup bar into one of the doorframes, have two pizzas in one day, watch hilarious comedy (Stewart Lee - Content Provider, highly recommended) bought a 6800 graphics card for WAY too much money that she miserably never would have 'allowed' and stay up playing games with my mates in Switzerland and Belfast til 4am.

And I've a Tinder date with a Brazilian stunner (who is frankly way out of my league but I'm not complaining for as long as that lasts) tomorrow night.

I should have got divorced years ago. A lot of married people would be better off divorced, they are just stuck. That's why it's so expensive - because it's worth it.

Advertisement